Attention Catholics

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Attention Catholics

Post by SUGAAAAA »

tommorow is Ash Wednesday, just a reminder.

:lol:

what will you be giving up for lent?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

My girlfriend!

No, wait, I'm not Catholic

No, wait, I don't have a girlfriend...either.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
leugim
Newbie Member

Re: Attention Catholics

Post by leugim »

SUGAAAAA wrote:tommorow is Ash Wednesday, just a reminder.

So would it be safe to assume that you're making fun of the Catholic religion?
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

No.

Please dont confuse with Matt Stone :cry:
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
leugim
Newbie Member

Post by leugim »

eye am confoosed :shock:
Byblos
Old School

Re: Attention Catholics

Post by Byblos »

SUGAAAAA wrote:tommorow is Ash Wednesday, just a reminder.

Went to St. Patrick's this morning for Ash Wednesday and the priest that put the ashes on my forehead was soooooooo sslowww, a 10 second process took about a minute. He was like YOU .............. ARE .............. FROM .................................... DUST .................. AND, with each pause taking 5 seconds or more.

I'm telling you if it wasn't for the solemn moment I would've cracked up laughing.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

not meaning to be rude, but what is ash wednesday
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

ryo dokomi wrote:not meaning to be rude, but what is ash wednesday
It's the first day of the season of lenten.
It ends the season of carnival.

http://www.kencollins.com/holy-04.htm
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

okay, then what is lent? i mean, i saw that site, but it didnt give any Scripture to back that up. it had this other book. The Apostolistic Constitutions...im sorry, but i dont believe that is Scripture. (im really not trying to be mean, or rude, just saying its not scripture. if this angers you, please tell me, because i really dont want to do that.)

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ryo dokomi wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:

okay, then what is lent?

Hi Ryo,

Lent is the 40 day period of fasting starting on ash Wednesday and ending on Easter Sunday. The ash is a reminder that we are made from dust and to dust we shall return. During the lenten period we are supposed to fast the same way Jesus fasted for 40 days before his crucifixion and resurrection. It is a symbolic expression to our trusting dependence in God's merciful love and a reminder of his awesome sacrifice for our salvation.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

Thread

okay, i see. i have set up a thread (not attacking) i just want to get my thinking out there. what i see is that this is one of the many Catholic rituals, and traditions that were never practiced by the Acts church. Fasting i know is, but it is not to be told by the church, it is to be done for the love of God, not because you have to. this site i gave in the thread is by a man that was once a Catholic, and he just put it up to inform. i dont believe that Cathology is a herecy, i dont believe that. i do, however, believe that there is way too much emphasis on their traditions and rituals. also a pointer, Christ Fasted forty days after his baptism, 3 years before his crucifixion.

i really hope that i have not angered anyone, i know that saying that Catholics are wrong is rude, but im not saying that. im saying the church is doing things that were specifically told were wrong. i.e. empty rituals, repitions, and the like. if that is not what it is, tell me in the thread i have set up. again, i am not trying to be rude, just have a conversation.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ryo dokomi wrote:Thread

okay, i see. i have set up a thread (not attacking) i just want to get my thinking out there. what i see is that this is one of the many Catholic rituals, and traditions that were never practiced by the Acts church. Fasting i know is, but it is not to be told by the church, it is to be done for the love of God, not because you have to. this site i gave in the thread is by a man that was once a Catholic, and he just put it up to inform. i dont believe that Cathology is a herecy, i dont believe that. i do, however, believe that there is way too much emphasis on their traditions and rituals. also a pointer, Christ Fasted forty days after his baptism, 3 years before his crucifixion.

i really hope that i have not angered anyone, i know that saying that Catholics are wrong is rude, but im not saying that. im saying the church is doing things that were specifically told were wrong. i.e. empty rituals, repitions, and the like. if that is not what it is, tell me in the thread i have set up. again, i am not trying to be rude, just have a conversation.

Ryo,

Please do not concern yourself so much with offending Catholics. It is quite understandable that to the uninitiated these practices seem odd and at times unscriptural. These testimonies from former Catholics are nothing new. The problem is for each former Catholic testimony, I can show you 10 testimonies from Christian and non-Christian converts to Catholicism. So they really don't mean much in and of themselves other than to affirm one's belief one way or the other.

Like I said before, lent is a period of reflection and prayer. Do you really need scripture to tell you to pray? But then again, the Bible is full of them isn't it? And Easter comes once a year. We can't very well wait 3 years to commemorate an event now, can we? The Bible is full of symbolism, symbolic rituals and practices. This is no different.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

I find in some way the Catholic Faith to be quite spiritual. Humans are a Ritual type of people. We get up at 5:30 am every morning. Get into work for 8 am every morning leave at 5pm. ETC ETC... Lent is one way of fasting and showing our appreciation to our Lord and Saviour. Celebrating Christmas is not Scriptural but we do it to Celebrate the Birth of our Lord! Celebration or Fasting at Lent is a Way to Worship our Lord. Whether a person sees as Legalistic is moot for some people it is a way of Worship and for some people it is not.

My 2 Cents :)
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

i see that it is a time of reflection and prayer, but i dont see why there has to be a set time that it is done. the way i see it is that you do it everyday, not just in this 40 day time over the year. and the thing about the rituals, bizzt, is that yes, man is that kind of creature, but that doesnt mean that it is a good thing. repetitions in daily life are boring, and you dont really notice them. but God wants you to notice Him, not just do the repitious things becuase thats just whats done. if you read your own post bizzt you wrote:
We get up at 5:30 am every morning. Get into work for 8 am every morning leave at 5pm. ETC ETC
notice the ETC ETC... :) you even pointed out that to list what you do daily is a boring and waist of time. if the way you live with God are all traditions, rituals, and repitions, that is what God will be to you
--------------------For Example------------------------
----Tod: so, fred, what has God done for you lately.
----Fred: ohh, you know. this and that. just the same thing..Etc. Etc.
-------------------------------------------------------

God doesnt want you to be bored with him because of repetions, (though im not saying you do that) im just saying that eventually repetions, and rituals will become nothing more than daily life. that is a dangerous time, when your relationship with the LORD is nothing more than:

----YOU: hey God.
----God: Hey, (insert name)
----YOU: Well, nice talk. same tomorrow??
---------------------------------------------------
all im trying to do is not only understand more about the Catholic faith, but to inform what i see. and i dont want to offend anyone (but in this case Catholics, so thanks byblos)

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ryo dokomi wrote:i see that it is a time of reflection and prayer, but i dont see why there has to be a set time that it is done. the way i see it is that you do it everyday, not just in this 40 day time over the year. and the thing about the rituals, bizzt, is that yes, man is that kind of creature, but that doesnt mean that it is a good thing. repetitions in daily life are boring, and you dont really notice them. but God wants you to notice Him, not just do the repitious things becuase thats just whats done. if you read your own post bizzt you wrote:
We get up at 5:30 am every morning. Get into work for 8 am every morning leave at 5pm. ETC ETC

notice the ETC ETC... :) you even pointed out that to list what you do daily is a boring and waist of time. if the way you live with God are all traditions, rituals, and repitions, that is what God will be to you
--------------------For Example------------------------
----Tod: so, fred, what has God done for you lately.
----Fred: ohh, you know. this and that. just the same thing..Etc. Etc.
-------------------------------------------------------

God doesnt want you to be bored with him because of repetions, (though im not saying you do that) im just saying that eventually repetions, and rituals will become nothing more than daily life. that is a dangerous time, when your relationship with the LORD is nothing more than:

----YOU: hey God.
----God: Hey, (insert name)
----YOU: Well, nice talk. same tomorrow??
---------------------------------------------------
all im trying to do is not only understand more about the Catholic faith, but to inform what i see. and i dont want to offend anyone (but in this case Catholics, so thanks byblos)

Let me ask you a question Ryo, if there were one thing that you could do that brings you closer to God and to Jesus, would you do it? We do. Would you think it is a bad thing? We don't.

What you call rituals, traditions, practices, and yes, boring repetitions, are not boring to us at all. In fact they bring us much joy and bring us ever closer to God and allow us to have an ever closer relationship with Christ. If that's a bad thing, by God then color me bad.

As to your question why now, why this period, why not always? Well, you answered that question yourself, because it'd become boring if it were. Besides, it is a celebration of a particular event at a particular time. Do you celebrate Christmas or your own birthday every day? I would think not. The only thing is that this event lasts for 40 days. Otherwise it is no different than any other solemn religious event.