Catholics

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

the Greek word for Phoenician was synonymous with the colour purple/red or crimson

Rev 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

This is just weirding me out! It would seem that the Greeks do indeed name peoples after their exports! Notwithstanding the freaky parallel to scripture.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

"Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, as it is right they should ... With you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me... No one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion... For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church."
St. Augustine (354—430): Against the Epistle of Manichaeus called Fundamental, chapter 4: Proofs of the Catholic Faith

I think I'm starting to understand the Catholic doctrine now...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this not smack of a "mystery religion"?
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
The Greeks named the city Byblos because of the multitude of papyruses they found in the city where the Phoenicains were busy inventing the first alphabet. 'Byblos', books, the book, bible. That's the origin of the word. You should have done a little more research, or simply asked.

I see the correlation to "Book" but knowing the history of the city and naming a city "Books" is ridiculous! Were the Greeks in the habit (pun intended) of naming foreign cities after their main export?

Maybe I am a touch paranoid, but after all the studying I've done on this little town it gives me the willies.

Perhaps history should be re-written in order to subside your willies. And with that I can clearly see that your paranoia is best left to its self-indulgent pre-historic reality.

May God truly bless you,

Byblos.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Byblos wrote: My friend, truth is in the eye of the subjective interpreter, no more and no less.
Luk 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.
Luk 10:22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him .
Luk 10:23 And he turned him unto his disciples, and said privately, Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see:
Luk 10:24 For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Your truth is different than mine. There's but one absolute truth and you know that's beyond both of our reaches.
Mat 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
And please do not tell me the bible is the absolute truth.
Ok, I won't. I'll let Jesus speak to you.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
While it is in and of itself, when interjecting human subjectivity we get the multitude of diverging biblical interpretations we see today.

Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Last I checked the Pope was a man born of a woman.
Hellfire

IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Here is something I think all catholics that believe there is no truth in the scripture unless given by the RCC:

1Jo 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Hellfire

Carico
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Carico »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
"Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, as it is right they should ... With you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me... No one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion... For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church."
St. Augustine (354—430): Against the Epistle of Manichaeus called Fundamental, chapter 4: Proofs of the Catholic Faith

I think I'm starting to understand the Catholic doctrine now...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this not smack of a "mystery religion"?
It's a made-up gospel and Paul makes it quite clear that if someone preaches a gospel different than the one he preached, they are false apostles. But the catholics don't believe that because they don't believe the bible. :(
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

The thing is Carico, they believe they do believe the Bible. Unfourtunatley thier 'bible' comes straight from the the papacy and not from the Holy Spirit.

A disclaimer though, I do not believe this is true of all catholics, just the ones who blindly follow the teaching of man without looking it up for themselves.

This same type of thing I was guilty of in the past by taking the words of some preachers and TV evangalists for truth without testing it against the Gospel. Thats a no no, we must alway's test to see if what someone tells us is the truth or not.
Hellfire

Carico
Acquainted Member

Post by Carico »

IRQ Conflict wrote:The thing is Carico, they believe they do believe the Bible. Unfourtunatley thier 'bible' comes straight from the the papacy and not from the Holy Spirit.

A disclaimer though, I do not believe this is true of all catholics, just the ones who blindly follow the teaching of man without looking it up for themselves.

This same type of thing I was guilty of in the past by taking the words of some preachers and TV evangalists for truth without testing it against the Gospel. Thats a no no, we must alway's test to see if what someone tells us is the truth or not.
Absolutely. It's a made-up gospel from the minds of men instead of from the mind of God.

How can one profess to be a catholic if he does't adhere to the teachings of the catholic church? :shock: There are many born again Christians, however, who go to catholic churches to witness, but they can't be catholics unless they scubscribe to the catholic doctrine. :wink:
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Well, yes and no. There are many people that are in different denominations that don't necessarily adhere to all that denomination has as a doctrine. Although as far as I've been able to determine there is just soooo much doctrine in catholicism that it would be hard to escape them all I suppose.
Hellfire

Son Worshiper
Newbie Member

Post by Son Worshiper »

I've always believed that there were some problems with the traditions of the Roman Catholic church. I've met some really nice catholic folks, and have some catholic friends. But I don't often debate with them, about their beliefs and whether or not those beliefs are Biblically sound.

Mostly because, while I've been a Christian most of my life, I've only just begun to really study the Bible and learn from it and sites like this. I guess I feel that I should be properly prepared to answer their arguments and pose my own questions first.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Same with me SW. I almost backslid straight into the pit, but for some reason God didn't want me going there. Heh go figure ;)
Hellfire

kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by kateliz »

:( A few weeks ago I was dogsitting at my cousins' and had the opportunity to again look over some of the many Catholic things they have in their house, one of which was a booklet for kids explaining the Mass. I could hardly get through it, it made me so distraught. Had to put it down every so often, and was brought to tears. What sickening blasphemy! What degredation to the gospel! Blasphemy after blasphemy, the poor kids! My poor Father! How it must break His heart to have such teachings go around... and to be so wide-spread!

The most offensive thing I found in there was how they called the priest "Father." You see, I call God "Father" most of the time. I like to speak to the Father part by far the most because the Son was to bring us to Him, and the Holy Spirit has a less prominent role that I wish to respect as it is. And the way I call Him "Father" was the same way the book called the priest: "And then Father kisses the altar...." When I journal, (because I very rarely refer to Him in public in this exact way,) I write things like, "Today Father gave me something I've been praying for". Now, to have that background, and to know that we're only to call God "Father," it hurt me very much, and for Father's sake, to have the priest treated such. And to add all those other blasphemies their "Father" did!

The second most shocking thing I found in this booklet was the way it taught that your sins are paid for by the Eucharist and the wine in Communion. After all, if it's Jesus' broken body and His spilled blood that cleanse us from sin, and since they believe the Eucharist and the wine are His physical body and blood, (transubstantiation,) then the wafer and the wine are what save us from our sin, right? ( :roll: :cry: ) And to teach poor little kids that!!! :cry: And oh, did they make a big whoop-to-do about this "miracle"! It was like they were counting down from ten to the moment you put it in your mouth! And, of course you know that if you chew the wafer you're doomed to hell because of the disrespect for Christ's body. No, it wasn't in the booklet, I believe, but I heard it from former Catholics, that they were taught this.

I had two of my friends come over to the house while I was there, and they were also greatly disgusted and shocked when they read the booklet. It was hard for one of them to keep reading as well! Their big problem with it was how the priest, ("Father",) kisses the altar, because it represents Jesus. That ritual was new to us, and they were greatly offended by it. Yeah, let's pretend this table is our Lord and kiss it.

Oh, and don't forget how "Father" opens his arms to the congregation to welcome them, because they are his children, as the booklet claimed. It is true, Paul teaches that if you aid in someone's salvation you are their spiritual father and they are your spiritual child, but certainly not in the way the RCC says the priest is "Father" to his "children", the congregation.

Matthew 23:9

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

I mean, come on, folks! These are very important issues. You can't just brush them aside and say, "Well, you know, people have the right to worship the way they want," and, "Some people like it that way." Baloney! They're doctrines of demons! (1 Tim. 4:1) It tries to look like Christianity, but it's not. It opposses the true means of our salvation and so leads people to their eternal doom whilst they beleive they're saved. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven..." (Matt. 7:21).

I'm becoming bolder with my thoughts on the RCC being a cult equal to Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, but worse than them because of it's deception and popularity. And I ain't afraid of stepping on anyone's toes, (at least here! :o,) about it! Let Truth be known and God be glorified!!!
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

IRQ Conflict wrote:I almost backslid straight into the pit
IRQ! Are you kidding, or really serious about thinking you deconverted?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Just Wondering

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'm not Catholic. I have problems with several Catholic doctrines and practices.

That having been said, how do you people think Christianity existed and was preserved for 3/4 of the time since Christ's death and resurrection until today?
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

God! :lol: How else do you explain all of the Bible burnings and martyrs and hidden "heretics," and yet it still stands? How about the Bible being confined to Latin and monks, and jealously kept out of the hands of the commonman? To think of all that the Catholic Church has done to oppose the true gospel throughout the years, it's a veritable miracle, (in my eyes,) that we were able to recover and have widespread Truth again! The only thing the Catholic Church did for preservation was to unspeakably tarnish the name of Christ before the world and hide the Bible away. You might claim missionaries as proof of it's desire to spread the gospel, but I'd say missionaries were for greater political control and wealth! And yes, they were successful! It had to be God who protected what was His despite all of that nonesense.