The exact point where it all began!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
michaelh2951
Newbie Member

The exact point where it all began!

Post by michaelh2951 »

An interesting thought occurred to me: suppose we located the coordinates in the Universe to the exact point of the Big Bang, supposedly where it all began, what would be our motivations, as human beings, to go there? What would be yours?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

I think this is a fantastic thought.
=)

We all want to know where we came from. I think if we were capable of this sort of travel, the place would become a shrine or temple of some sort. Perhaps a contentious spot, causing much religious strife like modern day Israel?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Odds of less than 1 in a trillion !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by sandy_mcd »

Come on guys, a quick Google, where is the center of the universe reveals: Are we there yet? Are we there yet?:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0807tj.asp wrote:Our galaxy—at the center of the universe after all!

7 August 2002

Recently, new evidence has surfaced that restores man to a central place in God's universe. The latest TJ presents these amazing findings in a pioneering paper by physicist, Dr Russell Humphreys.

Astronomers have long observed that light from distant galaxies is usually redshifted. That is, their light spectrum is 'redder' (i.e. a longer wavelength) than light from similar light sources near Earth. According to the law developed by astronomer Edwin Hubble (after whom the Hubble telescope is named), the redshifts are progressively larger for galaxies progressively further away.

Over the last few decades, astronomers have discovered that the redshifts of the galaxies are not evenly distributed but are 'quantized', i.e., they tend to fall into distinct groups. This means that the distances to the galaxies also fall into groups, with each group of galaxies forming a conceptual spherical shell. The shells turn out to be about a million light-years apart.

It is remarkable that the shells are all concentric and all centered on our home galaxy, the Milky Way. If they weren't, we would not see groups of redshifts. Russ Humphreys shows that groups would only be distinct from each other if our viewing location were less than a million light years (a trivial distance on the scale of the universe) from the center.

The odds for the Earth having such a unique position in the cosmos by accident are less than one in a trillion. The problem for big bang theorists is that they suppose the cosmos was not created but happened by accident—by chance, natural processes. Such naturalistic processes could not have put us at a unique center, so atheistic cosmologists have sought other explanations, without notable success so far.
Another web site (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/faq/part9/section-5.html) wrote:I.03. Where is the center of the Universe?

Often when people are told that galaxies are receding from us, they
assume that means we are at the center of the Universe. However,
remember that the Universe is homogeneous and isotropic. No matter
where one is, it looks the same in all directions. Thus, all galaxies
see all other galaxies receding from them. Hubble's relationship is
compatible with a Copernican view of the Universe: Our position is not
a special one.

So where is the center? *There isn't one*. Although apparently
nonsensical, consider the same question about the *surface* of a
sphere (note the *surface*). Where's the center of a sphere's
surface? Of course, there isn't one. One cannot point to any point
on a sphere's surface and say that, here is the center. Similarly,
because the Universe is homogeneous and isotropic, all we can say is
that, in the past, galaxies were closer together. We cannot say that
galaxies started expanding from any particular point.