Organisms on other planets..

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jay_7
Established Member

Organisms on other planets..

Post by Jay_7 »

Whats the point of them? why did God put them there?
ray
Recognized Member

organisms

Post by ray »

Why did God put 'what' there, planets or organisms?

Ray
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

what organisms are you talking about?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

You know how they find small organisms on other planets such as mars.. why are they there
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

As far as I know there have been this many 0 lifeforms discovered on other planets.
If there are / were life I don't have a clue why there would be.
A huge variety of living things populates Earth -- plants, birds, fish, mammals -- while not even one living organism has been found on any other planet or moon in our solar sytem.
link
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

IRQ Conflict wrote:As far as I know there have been this many 0 lifeforms discovered on other planets.
If there are / were life I don't have a clue why there would be.
A huge variety of living things populates Earth -- plants, birds, fish, mammals -- while not even one living organism has been found on any other planet or moon in our solar sytem.
link
Oh, ok. Thanks. More reasons too believe in a God if nothing is "evolving" elsewhere.
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

Hey.

I found a few sites and articles about organisms on other planets, Why would God put them there? Whats the purpose?
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:? link?
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jay_7 wrote:Hey.

I found a few sites and articles about organisms on other planets, Why would God put them there? Whats the purpose?
lol
De Ja Vu.

There are no known lifeforms or remains of lifeforms outside of Earth's biosphere.

You can trust me on this.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Jay, here are some things to read if your still confused.

God Bless.
Hellfire

michaelh2951
Newbie Member

RE

Post by michaelh2951 »

If life on other planets had been found, trust me, we would all have known about it and not have had to track down obscure websites to confirm this!

But:
"...More reasons too believe in a God if nothing is "evolving" elsewhere."

Isn't that a rather ignorant and quick assumption? Need I point out the rest of space we have not explored?

But I think the real hypothetical question remains: IF we found life on other planets, how could it be explained through religion?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I'm not sure why it would create a problem for religion? At least, not for Christianity. It seems to me the only argument to come up would be, "If Christianity were true, why would God create lifeforms on other planets?" But this is an argument of incredulity. Why did God create starts billions of light years away that have no direct bearing on the existence of earth? The question seems to assume that everything in the universe has to work for the first and primary benefit of mankind, which is simply not the case. That makes theology, and the universe as a whole, anthrocentric (based around man). In reality, both should be theocentric.

Here's a practical example of this. God placed Adam in the garden to work it. God also went into the garden and walked with Adam. Now, I ask, why? Was it "to give Adam something to do"? Was it all, even the garden paradise, for his benefit? I don't think so. I believe it was for God's own enjoyment. God made a world that was largely uncultivated. He then made a being that would represent Himself in this world and He commanded it to cultivate the world. He gave this being, called Man, an example, called the Garden of Eden.

God would, then, come and enjoy two things. First, He would enjoy the creation itself. Second, He would enjoy the labor of Man's hands. This, in fact, would bring even greater joy. How much joy does it bring a mother to post a picture drawn by her young son on the refridgerator? And how much more joy would it bring if the drawing was actually of a high quality? The same would be true for God and Man. Man was to cultivate the world, not for his own pleasure, but for the pleasure of God. This was the purpose of Man, and fulfilling that purpose, he would find his own fulfillment.

In this example, we see a theocentric theology that is far different from the standard anthrocentric models we often encounter. I would suggest that the only theological models that would have problems with life on other planets would be anthrocentric models.

But with all that said, for the record, I would be surprised (though not alarmed by any stretch of the imagination) if we did find life elsewhere. But, that's just me. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

Jac3510 wrote:I'm not sure why it would create a problem for religion? At least, not for Christianity. It seems to me the only argument to come up would be, "If Christianity were true, why would God create lifeforms on other planets?" But this is an argument of incredulity. Why did God create starts billions of light years away that have no direct bearing on the existence of earth? The question seems to assume that everything in the universe has to work for the first and primary benefit of mankind, which is simply not the case. That makes theology, and the universe as a whole, anthrocentric (based around man). In reality, both should be theocentric.

Here's a practical example of this. God placed Adam in the garden to work it. God also went into the garden and walked with Adam. Now, I ask, why? Was it "to give Adam something to do"? Was it all, even the garden paradise, for his benefit? I don't think so. I believe it was for God's own enjoyment. God made a world that was largely uncultivated. He then made a being that would represent Himself in this world and He commanded it to cultivate the world. He gave this being, called Man, an example, called the Garden of Eden.

God would, then, come and enjoy two things. First, He would enjoy the creation itself. Second, He would enjoy the labor of Man's hands. This, in fact, would bring even greater joy. How much joy does it bring a mother to post a picture drawn by her young son on the refridgerator? And how much more joy would it bring if the drawing was actually of a high quality? The same would be true for God and Man. Man was to cultivate the world, not for his own pleasure, but for the pleasure of God. This was the purpose of Man, and fulfilling that purpose, he would find his own fulfillment.

In this example, we see a theocentric theology that is far different from the standard anthrocentric models we often encounter. I would suggest that the only theological models that would have problems with life on other planets would be anthrocentric models.

But with all that said, for the record, I would be surprised (though not alarmed by any stretch of the imagination) if we did find life elsewhere. But, that's just me. :)
Yea - life may exist somewhere else for whatever purposes God has for doing so. It does not really matter if it does or not and if so - would not disprove the bible.
Preach
Acquainted Member

Post by Preach »

From what I know so far, the Bible is silent in regards to organisms on other worlds. One way to look at this is to assume this means wether or not there is life on other worlds is irrelevant to the main topics discussed in the Bible.
Another way to look at this is to say that infinite time offers plenty of opportunity for boredom. Let's say we were to live forever in the afterlife....certainly the ability to spend time on other worlds and relish other parts of God's creation that were previously unknown to us would be quite exhilerating :). The Bible even says that there are things prepared for us in the next life that "no eye hath seen". Hmmm...
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Here is a site that I beleive points in the right direction as far as 'alien life' is concerned.
Hellfire