If Jesus was God

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jay_7
Established Member

If Jesus was God

Post by Jay_7 »

From what ive heard, then why did Jesus pray etc? Also how could God be himself and Jesus at once, i have alot more questions but could someone try explain this to me a little better.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: If Jesus was God

Post by Jbuza »

Jay_7 wrote:From what ive heard, then why did Jesus pray etc? Also how could God be himself and Jesus at once, i have alot more questions but could someone try explain this to me a little better.
Well what is praying other than talking to God in heaven. You talk to your father don't you? Also he prayed to be an example to us.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Is it logically possible that an all-powerful God could have taken upon Himself human form if He so desired? If not, then despite whatever solutions Christians try to give to explain how God taking on humanity may work, it still remains a real possibility. And given God could take on human form, I see nothing to say it is logically impossible for God to continue running the universe at the same time.

Why did Jesus pray? Christ is believed to be fully human and fully divine, so therein lies a solution. There is a clear indication in Scripture that while Christ was divine he refrained from invoking, or gave up, his divine powers while in human form. Thus, Christ really did get anxious before his crucifixion, Christ really did suffer on the cross, Christ really didn't know the future when he said only the Father knows the end, and Christ needed to pray in his humanity as we do to receive comfort from the Father who sent Him.

As an aid to understanding the Trinity, the following thread help: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=716

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jay_7 wrote:From what ive heard, then why did Jesus pray etc? Also how could God be himself and Jesus at once, i have alot more questions but could someone try explain this to me a little better.
Within the contexts of Christianity some things are beyond human comprehension. Like everlasting life, never having to feel pain etc.

Don't worry about these things.
Listen to your Lord and live your life accordingly.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

Ok i understand now. :)

Btw, why did God kill all the people with the flood? Doesnt God forgive people and judge them once they are in Heaven?
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

colossians

and not according to Christ. 2:9 For in him all the fullness of deity lives20 in bodily form, 2:10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 2:11 In him you also were circumcised — not, however,21 with a circumcision performed by human hands, but by the removal22 of the fleshly body,23 that is,24 through the circumcision done by Christ.
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by ryo dokomi »

Jay_7 wrote:Ok i understand now. :)

Btw, why did God kill all the people with the flood? Doesnt God forgive people and judge them once they are in Heaven?
also, Noah, and his family where the ONLY righteous people on the planet, God wanted to start off with a clean slate. also, it is the old testament, Forgiveness wasnt really incorporated (loss of verbage,2 am...really tired :) ) into what His plan was at the time, because there could be no forgiveness without Christ...Christ didnt come till 4 thousand years later.
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Cobra
Familiar Member

Post by Cobra »

As far as I can figure, although Jesus was God, when he became man he took on the characteristics of man and the needs of man. He became vulnerable. If he did not eat or drink, he would die. He needed to sleep. He subscribed to all of the rules that govern man. That includes the need for God. Even the most devout atheist depends on God in order to draw his next breath.