Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
zlogdan
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Re: Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by zlogdan »

Philip wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:47 pm
zlogdan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:00 am Hi, I am from Brazil. 50. I am married and have kids. I work as a software engineer.
Why I am here? Because despite considering myself agnostic, I have always been more partial to those who believe.
zlogdan, welcome to the forum!

Just curious - what has kept you from belief? Any particular issues?

I would say that the honest agnostic is at least open to faith and doesn't avoid information or evidences that might support it. In fact, the question of whether God (or a god) exists is one of the universal questions and pursuits of mankind since the first humans existed. So, are you not at least very curious - wouldn't imagine you'd be here, otherwise.

Again, welcome!
Thanks Philip.

I believe that what causes my disbelief (despite my observations, readings, opinions, and a certain level of faith) is that I suffer from OCD.
It is the only explanation I can come up with after all these years. It just makes my belief weaker in favor of what I fear the most.
But I immensely dislike Richard Dawkins's approach to his "church of disbelief".
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Zlogdan wrote:

Thanks Philip.

I believe that what causes my disbelief (despite my observations, readings, opinions, and a certain level of faith) is that I suffer from OCD.
It is the only explanation I can come up with after all these years. It just makes my belief weaker in favor of what I fear the most.
But I immensely dislike Richard Dawkins's approach to his "church of disbelief".
Zlogdan, I'm glad you're here. Maybe I can help, as I have a few thoughts about your situation. LOL, I'm a bit OCD myself. Had a busy day, but I'll try to get back to you this weekend.

Philip

Note: I have replied to your post here: viewtopic.php?p=254326#p254326
GaroldSpire
Newbie Member

Post by GaroldSpire »

Hi, I’m Gari. Interests are primarily Biblical Geography. Would like to know if anyone else thinks Genesis was dictated to Moses by God so is written from his viewpoint wherein it really was 6 days of creation but since He was busy expanding the universe his point of view was 7 24 hour days although from our point of view it was 14 billion years due to a difference in velocity remembering Einstein showed us that time is relative to one’s velocity?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

GaroldSpire wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:04 pm Hi, I’m Gari. Interests are primarily Biblical Geography. Would like to know if anyone else thinks Genesis was dictated to Moses by God so is written from his viewpoint wherein it really was 6 days of creation but since He was busy expanding the universe his point of view was 7 24 hour days although from our point of view it was 14 billion years due to a difference in velocity remembering Einstein showed us that time is relative to one’s velocity?
Hello, Gari - welcome to Godandscience.org!

I can't point you to many discussions on the forum over your question. I'm guessing you are aware of the beliefs of YEC vs. OEC?

In the first place, the Bible wasn't written to be a science book. And while I DO think God layered into Scripture understandings for the original audience that are also valid for today, I also think those layers include things the modern, scientific age can understand in additional ways that Moses and his readers couldn't have understood. What God was primarily doing with the Creation accounts was to correct the Israelites false beliefs and mythologies of the Ancient Mesopotamian creation myths and Egyptian gods they had absorbed during the long captivity in Egypt. So, two different things could well be going on in the Genesis creation passages, and some of it may not have been intended for Moses and his original audience to fully understand, while some of it was clearly written for all followers of God then, now and in the future. Clearly, God inspired Moses what to write down - but that doesn't mean he fully understood it from all angles (ancient and modern). He wrote from a viewpoint he understood, from a culture and time he was immersed in.

We have to be VERY careful about reading science into Scripture. Check this thread out: viewtopic.php?p=235296#p235296

And this thread: viewtopic.php?p=228129#p228129

You can also do topic searches in the top right of the page.

Again, welcome!
VisualBrian
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by VisualBrian »

Hello everyone. What I am most interested in is discussion, and that someone is actually here to discuss my doubts about the existence of GOD. Please let me know if this is possible or if this is just a place to promote GOD. I need to know the truth.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

VisualBrian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:57 pm Hello everyone. What I am most interested in is discussion, and that someone is actually here to discuss my doubts about the existence of GOD. Please let me know if this is possible or if this is just a place to promote GOD. I need to know the truth.
Hello, Brian, and welcome to the forum! Tell us about some of your doubts. Perhaps also a bit about what you DO believe, at the present. I'll try to be helpful.

Philip
Iota
Newbie Member

Post by Iota »

I live in east Texas. Watching for buds on my lemon bush, cleaning out flower beads, and expecting the heat of summer.
Married 43 years, and had three girls. Oldest Girl is 42. I’m raising my 13 year old grandson. I feel blessed to have him.
Worked for the post office for 34 years, as an electronic technician. I’m very happy to be off of the night shift.
I hope you all have a blessed day! Iota
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hello, Iota and welcome to GodandScience.org! Explore the site, ask questions, post. Looking forward to seeing your contributions!

Philip
Iota
Newbie Member

Post by Iota »

Thank you!
whitab
Newbie Member

Post by whitab »

Hello, my name is Whitney. I'm 22, a Christian, & I love learning. Happy to be here!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

whitab wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 am Hello, my name is Whitney. I'm 22, a Christian, & I love learning. Happy to be here!
Awesome, Whitney! Ask questions, look around, use the search box.

Do you have any specific questions or topics of interest?

Glad to have you join us!

Philip
whitab
Newbie Member

Post by whitab »

Thanks! All I'm sure of is I know that God & science are connected. I just want to take some time to explore it some more, because I hardly know where to go from there.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

whitab wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:13 pm Thanks! All I'm sure of is I know that God & science are connected. I just want to take some time to explore it some more, because I hardly know where to go from there.
Great, Whitney - just don't hesitate to ask - also, you can click on my name and send me a private question or comment - glad to be of help!

Philip