Why would God create hell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
joshuap
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Why would God create hell?

Post by joshuap »

I know this is a pretty basic question but it has always been something I can't seem to wrap my head around. I understand only people who love God being permitted into heaven, but why must this 'loving God' punish his 'children' with eternal torture? I guess it would make sense for truly evil people but what about people who do great things? hypothetically, what if ones only sin was not believing? Why would this person be doomed to eternal torture just because they don't love God?

When I was a Christian this had always seemed a natural response on Gods behalf, however as I got older and began to explore my faith and read the bible with a motivation to learn, I couldn't believe that this God who I was slowly beginning to see as true evil, could be the loving, caring father he claims to be.

I tend to be a very single minded person, and although I try not to I tend approach things like this with a lot of bias. But I do believe that this is very important, I am an aetheist who has been looking into Satanism, theology has always been very interesting to me and I hate the idea of shutting out an idea because of bad experiences I have had in the past.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 315 times

Re: Why would God create hell?

Post by 1over137 »

Hi Joshua,

There is a very good response on your question here: https://www.gotquestions.org/loving-God ... -hell.html
joshuap wrote:what if ones only sin was not believing
There is no one like that. Revealed in the Bible and also as I inspect myself I see my many sins.
We all are flawed. Only Jesus was sinless.

God is also just. He judges justly. Many sins were committed and there was a debt to be paid. And since He loved us, He sent his Son so that he paid the debt for us. That is love. God does not want us to end up in eternal separation from Him. He made us with free will, not robots.

The thief on the cross committed sins. And he recognized that. And also that Jesus is his Savior. He asked Jesus to remember him and Jesus did.

God created this world with some rules. Him being love. We are created in his image. Capable of good things. We left from Him. Numerous times. (And each of us does it all the time.) God is not evil. It is absence of God that is.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Has liked: 651 times
Been liked: 674 times

Re: Why would God create hell?

Post by Kurieuo »

I dare say you are thinking about "Hell" in the wrong way. A smart man once said:
It's not a question of God 'sending' us to Hell. In each of us there is something growing up which will of itself be Hell unless it is nipped in the bud.
We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.
The doors of hell are locked from the inside!
That's not to diminish hell. It is very real place as completely void of God as much as possible.
These users liked this post by Kurieuo:
1over137 (Thu May 12, 2022 10:12 pm)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)