HSP - Highly Sensitive Person

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

HSP - Highly Sensitive Person

Post by 1over137 »

Hi friends,

Not sure if all of you have heard about HSPs. Highly sensitive person. (https://hsperson.com/)

Half a year ago, I read a book by Dr. Elaine Aron: The Highly Sensitive Person.
And everything started to be clear.
My childhood and all.
I now know that am not 'faulty' person or what.
But that 20% of the whole population are HSPs.
It is in our genes. We are sincere, authentic, empathetic.
We are not weak. It is that our nervous system receives more information. That is why we notice more when we enter the room.
We pick other's emotions, pain and all. And since we pick more information, we exhaust more sooner.
That is why we appear weak or what. But in fact, we are strong.

Let me encourage to be who you are. Do not be what others want you to be. All is alright with you and live your life.

Hana
y@};-
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: HSP - Highly Sensitive Person

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Hannah, dear Hannah... anyone who even simply peruses this site knows...

"We are sincere, authentic, empathetic and We pick other's emotions, pain and all." ...is all about you... you are neither weak or faulty and should never be described as such. I have never heard of HSP, but I'm glad you got it !

"Let me encourage to be who you are. Do not be what others want you to be, All is alright with you and live your life."
This line does not end your post without sincere empathy and the desire to see all who read it and feel it, to flourish.

An admirer for some time now...

ES
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

dear ES, :)

:heart:

Yes, empaths want people to flourish. It's in us, we long for world peace :)

I see, it is still not known by people that there are 20% of all population HSPs.
And I am noticing this HSP 'movement' happening in the world.

So, I will continue to post in this thread.
I plan to make a post on boundaries.
That's what I learn - to put boundaries and not to be a rug for other people.

Well, everybody reading this post can test himself via self-test: https://hsperson.com/test/
(There is also a test if your child is HSP. It may happen parent is not and child is and this poor parent does not know really what his child needs and may be desperate.)

posting soon,
have all nice day
y@};-

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

1over137 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:42 pm Well, everybody reading this post can test himself via self-test: https://hsperson.com/test/
I did the test with the link you provided and am not an HSP. I would have preferred to be one...

I know you lost your first husband to an illness. My question is, what are the advantages an HSP person has over someone who is not when going through a loved one’s terminal illness?
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Fliegender wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:00 am
1over137 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:42 pm Well, everybody reading this post can test himself via self-test: https://hsperson.com/test/
I did the test with the link you provided and am not an HSP. I would have preferred to be one...

I know you lost your first husband to an illness. My question is, what are the advantages an HSP person has over someone who is not when going through a loved one’s terminal illness?
You are who you are, Roger. Everybody is special and is good that he is who he is.
We all have our gifts that we can offer. HSP can offer empathy. Others may be great warriors. Etc.

I do not know what are advantages, or disadvantages and there is not another woman with the very same situation as mine except that she is not an HSP. So no comparison is possible I think.

But make your own opinion:
Me as an HSP and got widowed. Lost love of my life. (Though am married again does not mean I love my Tomas any less or my current husband any less) :

- I could give Tomas my all love that HSP is capable of. And believe me, he got a huge portion of such a deep love maybe only HSP is capable. I could write more. But since it is so personal and intimate, and I carry deep wounds from the loss, I will not be more detailed. It still hurts hell a lot and always will be. Not mentioning I do not have a child. (Very aching as well.)
- So as an HSP, I maybe grieve more deeply. (Advantage or Disadvantage? I really would not put the question this way.)
- As an empath, you know intuitively the needs of the other person. I noticed things other did not and I could meet the needs of my dying love
- Disadvantage would be, when deprived of sleep, you do not function well, (HSPs need good regular sleep). So, being tired from lack of sleep, you struggle.
- another advantage would be my inner strength. I do not know how to explain that, but having this strength I could be there for him. Not falling into despair but instead providing all the love I was capable of

So, those are things that went into my mind.
I would appreciate that we do not go into this my personal loss. (Am struggling to have kids, am almost 38, and try to protect myself from stress. As an HSP I need to protect myself if I want to have some kids. So wish me well. Thank you y@};- )

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

=============================
Advice #1 to all HSPs:

Take magnesium regularly.

If I knew this before, I could be more functioning and be there for my dying love more.
It is advice also by Dr. Aron - take magnesium.

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Hana, I know of two very lucky men you've married!

There is always hope for a child. As I married quite late (was 31), returned to school, then was very sick for 5 years, my first son was born when I was 40 and my wife already 39 - and then, FIVE YEARS later - we had our second son! So my wife was 45 with the second child - yeah, CRAZY! But God's timing was perfect. Yet, we also, before she was pregnant with our first (especially as quite some time passed before we conceived), we thought we couldn't have children and considered adoption. And we would have, except "BOOM!" But adoption is certainly something everyone might consider!

So glad to see your input in this new year!

y@};-
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Philip, your story is very encouraging. Thank you.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Advice #2 to all HSPs:

Create healthy boundaries.

This advice was for me the most important advice given by Dr. Aron in her book.

Boundaries should be flexible. They should allow you to invite things into your life that you like and protect you from things that are not welcome.
Extreme that should be avoided is to expel everyone from your life. And at the same time, you should protect yourself from inner compulsions to merge with other people. It would be nice and all but it does not work for long. And you do not want to lose your autonomy.
Most HSPs complain to Dr. Aron that they have weak boundaries. (Yep, was my problem too.)
They let themselves to be drawn into things that are not their business, they let themselves to be thus stressed a lot, also they speak more than they wish, and also they are too quick to make intimate relationships, or relationships with wrong people.

So, the rule is: MAKE HEALTHY BUONDARIES
Make it your goal. You have the right for them.
And do not be stressed when at first you are not good at it. (It may take 2 years to learn that.)
The boundaries will also protect you from overstimulation.

So, all the best,
Your Hana y@};-

#foreverinmyheart
Avery78
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by Avery78 »

Being an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) may be both beneficial and challenging. Sensitivity to stimuli provides great empathy and insight, but it necessitates diligent self-care to control overwhelming emotions. Embracing this quality leads to greater knowledge and compassion for oneself and others. :sleep: :clap: 8-}2
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Avery78 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:50 am Being an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) may be both beneficial and challenging. Sensitivity to stimuli provides great empathy and insight, but it necessitates diligent self-care to control overwhelming emotions. Embracing this quality leads to greater knowledge and compassion for oneself and others. :sleep: :clap: 8-}2
I view it as a gift. Yes, it may be challenging, but having learned to embrace my sensitivity and also protect myself, I am now thriving.
I agree that self-care is very important.
I am curious. Are you HSP too? If yes, then :wave:

#foreverinmyheart