mental failure

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

mental failure

Post by sandy_mcd »

This is apropos of nothing; it is just that I thought this morning I had read a mention of honeycomb in the God and Science forum but I cannot find it now so I will reference this article instead:
//www.godandscience.org/evolution/design.html wrote: Proving the Perfection of the Honeycomb

Scientists had assumed that the hexagonal lattice of the honeycomb allows bees to store the most honey in a single layer of equal-sized cells, while using the least beeswax to separate them....
Isn't it amazing how smart bees are to have figured this out before humans?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

What is the bottom picture? Looks like huge pillars....
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: mental failure

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

sandy_mcd wrote:This is apropos of nothing; it is just that I thought this morning I had read a mention of honeycomb in the God and Science forum but I cannot find it now so I will reference this article instead:
http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/design.html wrote: Proving the Perfection of the Honeycomb

Scientists had assumed that the hexagonal lattice of the honeycomb allows bees to store the most honey in a single layer of equal-sized cells, while using the least beeswax to separate them....
Isn't it amazing how smart bees are to have figured this out before humans?
It was in this thread
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 0&start=15
It is amazing.
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:The intricate paterns in plants and the construction of behives shows that man is not alone in creating these types of patterns. Seen in this light even the inventions of man can be seen as natural products.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

:D Totally true! The forces of nature are so brilliant! Think of it, even erosion is miraculous. I mean, without erosion, we wouldn't know what our forefathers looked like!

The Miracle of Erosion
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:What is the bottom picture? Looks like huge pillars....
The second and third pictures are both of the Devil's Postpile, central CA. This one is the Giants Causeway, county Antrim, Ireland.Image
They are large masses of basalt which are believed to have cooled uniformly. As the molten rock solidified, it shrank in volume which caused the cracks which are typically hexagonal patterns.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

sweeeet

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

This thread is based off of nature, as in godless atheism, not sweet.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

It's still beautiful. We should just remember who's really behind it--our wonderful, awesome, all perfect, and totally knowing God!
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Are you trying to say that the bees copied the designs from a few locations they saw, or are you trying to say that chemistry can be used to explain the pattern of a honeycomb...or both?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

I don't think it's the shape which demonstrates design, it's the context in which the shape is found.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Are you trying to say that the bees copied the designs from a few locations they saw, or are you trying to say that chemistry can be used to explain the pattern of a honeycomb...or both?
When I looked up the pictures a few hours after reading a post, I couldn't remember for what thread I looked up the pictures; yet you expect me to recall after this much time why I posted them ? :shock:
I suppose the reasons were:
1) the rock formations are neat
2) patterns don't necessarily have to come from immediate design
I don't have any idea how honeybees ended up with hexagonal cells in honeycombs.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

yet you expect me to recall after this much time why I posted them ? Shocked
We are all held to a higher standard here at G&S...except for me...they've given up hope for me.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous