Quick answers about Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Quick answers about Bible

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Usagi: Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?
Romans 1 talks about how ancient pagans knew of but rejected the true God, and instead chose to create and worship idols instead: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV

https://biblereasons.com/false-religions/
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?
To build on Phillip's response, here are a couple of additional passages that might help...

Exodus 20:3-6
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
1 John 4:1-4
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So even if it's a fictional story in fansaty world it should be a no? yea, I didn't feel right about it either. So I abandoned it.
Nicki
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am So even if it's a fictional story in fansaty world it should be a no? yea, I didn't feel right about it either. So I abandoned it.
Were you writing a story like that? That might not be a good idea since you would be involving yourself in it deeply and thinking about it a lot. Just reading something with a made-up religion shouldn't be so involving though.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Jesus said don’t call anyone father but the father in heaven. Why other churches have being called pastors father. Why?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm Jesus said don’t call anyone father but the father in heaven. Why other churches have being called pastors father. Why?
Jesus even makes the explicit statement to "call no one your father but your Father in heaven"?
Matthew 23:9

This is a direct statement to not call any one by the TITLE Father, that has not earned it ( unlike you biological father or God or one that has acted like a "father" to you).
It was a counter against those that revel and self-important titles.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 am
UsagiTsukino wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm Jesus said don’t call anyone father but the father in heaven. Why other churches have being called pastors father. Why?
Jesus even makes the explicit statement to "call no one your father but your Father in heaven"?
Matthew 23:9

This is a direct statement to not call any one by the TITLE Father, that has not earned it ( unlike you biological father or God or one that has acted like a "father" to you).
It was a counter against those that revel and self-important titles.
It would help to contextualize it if you had quoted 8 thru 12 ( Matthew 23:8-12 ). In fact, chapter 12 in its entirety is a lesson in hypocrisy, not about calling someone rabbi or teacher or leader, not just father.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Does Matthew 7:13-14 mean very few will be saved
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Usagi: Does Matthew 7:13-14 mean very few will be saved?
Matthew 7: 13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

First place, Usagi, what - or rather, WHO - is the gate, given John 14:6 and John 10:7? And then consider the wide range of paths / gates that unbelievers follow - where do those lead one, eternally? So, there is only ONE way that leads to Heaven vs. the uncountable paths / ways that Scripture says "leads to destruction." And from there, you can do the speculative math!
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Was Nero the anti Christ? there seems to be many who point to Nero being the anti Christ. Why is that?
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:59 pm Was Nero the anti Christ? there seems to be many who point to Nero being the anti Christ. Why is that?
Here is a short video that provides a good explanation

The Number of the Beast of Revelation: 666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkNtPhAeVY

Nero Caesar is specifically discussed at 4:35 in the video.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So Wait if Nero was indeed the anti christ at the time. Does that mean there will be another one? Because I'm speaking with someone with the belif that all the prophecies were fulfilled in the century.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:07 pm So Wait if Nero was indeed the anti christ at the time. Does that mean there will be another one? Because I'm speaking with someone with the belif that all the prophecies were fulfilled in the century.
In Revelation, the Beast represents Rome in general and Nero Caesar in particular. Nero was also a manifestation of the Antichrist.

However, according to John the apostle there are many antichrists.
1 John 2:18
Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.
1 John 4:3
but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
So there have been many antichrists throughout history.
Nero was definitely an antichrist.
But according to John "every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus" is the spirit of the antichrist.

There are three basic beliefs concerning the "end times"
Futurism
Futurism claims that the prophecies concerning The Great Tribulation and the Second Coming of Jesus are all future events.
Partial Preterism
Partial Preterism claims that prophecies concerning the Great Tribulation have been fulfilled, but the Second Coming of Jesus is still a future event.
Full Preterism
Full Preterism claims that the prophecies concerning the Great Tribulation and the Second Coming of Jesus have all been fulfilled.

I believe that the specific prophecies and time frames that Jesus and John the Apostle gave for The Great Tribulation were fulfilled with the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple by the Romans in 70 AD.
So the prophecies regarding The Great Tribulation have been fulfilled.

However, even though The Great Tribulation as a specific event has already occurred, Christians have suffered "tribulation" throughout the history of the Church. So the prophecies of the Great Tribulation can be considered "already/not yet" prophecies that had specific application to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in 70 AD, but also applies to the tribulations suffered by Christians throughout the last 2000 years. These prophecies could also potentially have some application to the future events described in Rev 20:7-10.

The time frame Jesus gave for his Second Coming differs significantly from the time frame he gave for the Great Tribulation. Jesus said that The Great Tribulation would involve many signs and would occur to the generation that he was talking to.
However the Second Coming of Jesus would occur at an unknown time in the distant future and his Second Coming would come as a surprise to everyone.

So based on the time frames given by Jesus and John the Apostle, I believe that the Second Coming of Jesus, The Resurrection, the Final Judgement, and the New Heaven/New Earth (the eternal state) are prophecies that are yet to be fulfilled at an unknown time in the future.

It sounds to me like the person you are talking to is a Full Preterist. I think Full Preterists and Futurists make a similar error. They both conflate the events of The Great Tribulation and the Second Coming of Jesus and believe that they will both happen in conjunction with each other.
Full Preterists think that they both occurred in the past
Futurists think that they will both occur in the future.

But both Full Preterists and Futurists overlook the vastly different time frames that Jesus and John the Apostle give for the Great Tribulation and the Second Coming of Jesus.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

WHat are the signs the end ? I kept hearing damcaus is suppose to be destroyed or that one world government is to be made

Hey is it safe to say majority of people are in hell? Or do we not know who is in hell?
Philip wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Usagi: Does Matthew 7:13-14 mean very few will be saved?
Matthew 7: 13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

First place, Usagi, what - or rather, WHO - is the gate, given John 14:6 and John 10:7? And then consider the wide range of paths / gates that unbelievers follow - where do those lead one, eternally? So, there is only ONE way that leads to Heaven vs. the uncountable paths / ways that Scripture says "leads to destruction." And from there, you can do the speculative math!
Sorry I thought I responded. Jesus is the gate. The one that leads to destroy is damnation.