No such thing as a "gay gene"

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

No such thing as a "gay gene"

Post by PaulSacramento »

https://www.livescience.com/no-single-g ... tification

Exert:
The researchers could not find any one gene linked with same-sex sexual behavior. Five genetic variants did appear significantly linked to sexual orientation, and thousands more also seemed involved to a lesser extent.

In the end, the scientists could not find any genetic patterns that could be used, in any way, to identify a person's sexual orientation. Instead, the predisposition to same-sex sexual behavior appeared influenced by a complex mix of genetic and environmental influences. That's also the case for many other human traits, such as height.
Thoughts?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: No such thing as a "gay gene"

Post by Philip »

Ultimately, we have all inherited a sin nature that is part of human DNA - meanining we each have sinful things that we are naturally attracted to, but that we CAN and should resist. And the degree of that resistance will be far more successful when we are submitted and committed to the Lord and dependent and prayerful upon Him in our struggles. Left to my inner desires, monogamy wouldn't be a certainty - along with many other temptations.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I can confirm that there IS such a thing as "gay gene".

I went to school with a guy named Eugene, who was gay.

We called him "Gay Gene".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:45 am I can confirm that there IS such a thing as "gay gene".

I went to school with a guy named Eugene, who was gay.

We called him "Gay Gene".
:fryingpan:
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

And don't forget about demons creating that homosexual lust.

Here's a video of a man who was delivered from homosexuality by the blood of Jesus.

Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Stu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:04 am And don't forget about demons creating that homosexual lust.

Here's a video of a man who was delivered from homosexuality by the blood of Jesus.

Sid Roth is dodgey as
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Nessa wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:21 am
Stu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:04 am And don't forget about demons creating that homosexual lust.

Sid Roth is dodgey as
Did you watch the video?

Are you saying his guest is lying about what happened?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Whether lust is encouraged by humans or demonically inspired, ultimately, a human has the ability to resist the temptations - particularly with God's power!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Stu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:05 am
Nessa wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:21 am

Sid Roth is dodgey as
Did you watch the video?

Are you saying his guest is lying about what happened?
No, just saying I'm wary of people who go on the show
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

I tell atheists - if there was a gay gene evolution would have weeded it out from the gene pool. Because homo-no-mo no have no kids.

They usually don't have a response other than laughing, changing the subject or calling me names. :)
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

Whether homosexuality is nature or nurture, one thing is very clear: it isn't a choice. At no point does a homosexual person say "I think I'll start being attracted to members of the same biological sex now". Treating homosexuality as though its a moral choice in the same way as stealing or something like that is a completely false comparison. Homosexual attraction in a person is more akin to something like being left handed. There isn't any particular gene for left handedness, its a bunch of environmental factors working together.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Seraph wrote:
Treating homosexuality as though its a moral choice in the same way as stealing or something like that is a completely false comparison.
Where it becomes a valid comparison, is when one commits homosexual acts.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Seraph wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Whether homosexuality is nature or nurture, one thing is very clear: it isn't a choice. At no point does a homosexual person say "I think I'll start being attracted to members of the same biological sex now". Treating homosexuality as though its a moral choice in the same way as stealing or something like that is a completely false comparison. Homosexual attraction in a person is more akin to something like being left handed. There isn't any particular gene for left handedness, its a bunch of environmental factors working together.
You may be confusing being a homosexual with engaging in homosexual acts.
From the perspective of sin, being Gay is not a sin BUT engaging in homosexual activity is.

From the scientific point of view:
There is NO genetic evidence for a person being born gay, it SEEMS to be a combination of various genetic factors AND the environment ( nature AND nurture).
Engaging in homosexuality IS a moral choice, as is engaging in any sexual activity.
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

Keeping in line with my earlier comparison, that is essentially the same as saying "it is not depraved to be left handed, only to write with your left hand".
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Seraph wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 pm Keeping in line with my earlier comparison, that is essentially the same as saying "it is not depraved to be left handed, only to write with your left hand".
I'd love to hear the rationale behind that!

-Edward R Murrow