The Strongest Argument for God

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Strongest Argument for God

Post by Philip »

Ken: No; putting the cart before the horse would be to assume NDE;'s include spirits before I'm even convinced there is even such a thing as spirits.
OK, fair enough - you don't know. But as a study of NDEs can point to life that goes on that is beyond the mere physical, and that these studies clearly support that, it would seem that NDEs would offer intriguing evidences for you to look into. That is, if you really want to seek out evidences that might support a spiritual dimension of humans that goes beyond their bodies and death.
Ken: It appears you know a lot about NDE's, I don't. I know nothing about them mostly because I have no interest in them..."
Now, that's a bit strange, Ken. You've been here five years, with over 3,000 posts arguing for every conceivable argument that there is no evidence that God exists. And yet, you're "NOT INTERESTED???!!!" NDEs are found across the world, and have now been seriously studied by many qualified researchers - providing powerful evidences that man is more than just a body, and that some soulish / spiritual aspect of a person survives death that allows them to think, hear, and perceive in extraordinary detail, well after all the standards for life have ceased functioning - including the brain. But that doesn't interest you? Wow! I'd say you won't ever find the truth - not if all you do is only seek evidences that you think props up your atheism. And your lack of interest in NDEs is very telling to your lack of seriousness about determining whether God and a spiritual world exists beyond the physical realm.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Ken: No; putting the cart before the horse would be to assume NDE;'s include spirits before I'm even convinced there is even such a thing as spirits.
OK, fair enough - you don't know. But as a study of NDEs can point to life that goes on that is beyond the mere physical, and that these studies clearly support that, it would seem that NDEs would offer intriguing evidences for you to look into. That is, if you really want to seek out evidences that might support a spiritual dimension of humans that goes beyond their bodies and death.
Ken: It appears you know a lot about NDE's, I don't. I know nothing about them mostly because I have no interest in them..."
Now, that's a bit strange, Ken. You've been here five years, with over 3,000 posts arguing for every conceivable argument that there is no evidence that God exists. And yet, you're "NOT INTERESTED???!!!" NDEs are found across the world, and have now been seriously studied by many qualified researchers - providing powerful evidences that man is more than just a body, and that some soulish / spiritual aspect of a person survives death that allows them to think, hear, and perceive in extraordinary detail, well after all the standards for life have ceased functioning - including the brain. But that doesn't interest you? Wow! I'd say you won't ever find the truth - not if all you do is only seek evidences that you think props up your atheism. And your lack of interest in NDEs is very telling to your lack of seriousness about determining whether God and a spiritual world exists beyond the physical realm.
There are a lot of topics people talk about on here, am I supposed to be an expert on all of them? C'mon!
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ken: There are a lot of topics people talk about on here, am I supposed to be an expert on all of them? C'mon!
Nice try at dodging my question, Ken. Why would you not be interested in serious and powerful research indicative of a reality of life beyond the physical. Because if you were serious about determining if the spiritual exists, you'd be intensely interested at studying what has been discovered about NDEs! Yet, you have NO interest? y:-?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Byblos wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Kenny wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 amWhat is rational or logical is subjective, not objective. Just because something is logical to me doesn't mean it will be logical to you.
And this tell us everything we need to know about kenny and his (il)logic.

Seriously man, have you not ever heard of the law of non-contradiction? Or is that subjective too? :shakehead:
Yeah; math is logical and rational as well! But not everything that is rational or logical is going to be objective! And in the context of what we are discussing, what is logical and rational to me obviously is not to you; otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting I assume spirits are involved when I don't even believe in spirits.
I know this is going to be a waste of my time but I'll play for a while.

Kenny, please give us an example of a logical argument that is also subjective.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 am
Kenny wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 amWhat is rational or logical is subjective, not objective. Just because something is logical to me doesn't mean it will be logical to you.

Seriously man, have you not ever heard of the law of non-contradiction? Or is that subjective too? :shakehead:
Yeah; math is logical and rational as well! But not everything that is rational or logical is going to be objective! And in the context of what we are discussing, what is logical and rational to me obviously is not to you; otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting I assume spirits are involved when I don't even believe in spirits.

Unmoved mover argument that results in the God of the bible at the beginning.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 am

Oh My!
:shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

You're reaching Kenny. First of all, the unmoved mover and the God of the Bible are two distinct arguments, the first being a metaphysical argument and the second being a revelatory argument. I am not too concerned about the second so let's just tackle the first, shall we?

Please tell us:

1) How the unmoved mover is a logical argument. This will show us that you in fact understand the argument. And, more importantly,
2) How this argument is subjective
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 am

You're reaching Kenny. First of all, the unmoved mover and the God of the Bible are two distinct arguments, the first being a metaphysical argument and the second being a revelatory argument. I am not too concerned about the second so let's just tackle the first, shall we?

Please tell us:

1) How the unmoved mover is a logical argument. This will show us that you in fact understand the argument. And, more importantly,
Imagine 3 guys looking at this argument. The first guy will look at the argument and see it as a logical connection to his religion. He will reason that his idea of God has the exact description required to be at the top of this argument; the unmoved mover; with everything else in existence moved/caused by him.

The second guy will look at this argument and will see it as a logical connection to his religion which is a completely different religion than the first guy, and he will reason that his idea of God (also different than the first guys God) has the exact description required to be on top of this argument; the unmoved mover. The first guy and the second guy will have countless disagreements about why their God fits the right description, and why the other guys God does not.

The third guy will look at this argument and will see no logical connection to either of the other guys religions, nor their God of choice.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am

Please tell us:

Imagine 3 guys looking at this argument. The first guy will look at the argument and see it as a logical connection to his religion. He will reason that his idea of God has the exact description required to be at the top of this argument; the unmoved mover; with everything else in existence moved/caused by him.

The second guy will look at this argument and will see it as a logical connection to his religion which is a completely different religion than the first guy, and he will reason that his idea of God (also different than the first guys God) has the exact description required to be on top of this argument; the unmoved mover. The first guy and the second guy will have countless disagreements about why their God fits the right description, and why the other guys God does not.

The third guy will look at this argument and will see no logical connection to either of the other guys religions, nor their God of choice.
Obviously you don't understand the unmoved mover. Did you read what Byblos just said about the unmoved mover being a metaphysical argument?

The unmoved mover does not attempt to prove any specific God of any religion.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Please tell us:

Obviously you don't understand the unmoved mover. Did you read what Byblos just said about the unmoved mover being a metaphysical argument?

Nobody in this conversation is claiming the argument is an attempt to prove any specific God of any religion.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pm

Please tell us:

Nobody in this conversation is claiming the argument is an attempt to prove any specific God of any religion.
You literally just did! Look at what you wrote. You said that Three guys looking at the unmoved mover argument each think the argument points to their God, or another God, which you think makes the argument subjective.

But since the unmoved mover argument does not argue for nor point to a specific God, then the argument is not subjective. Someone who thinks the argument says something that it doesn't say, may erroneously think it's subjective. But it isn't.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Please tell us:

You literally just did! Look at what you wrote. You said that Three guys looking at the unmoved mover argument each think the argument points to their God, or another God, which you think makes the argument subjective.

But since the unmoved mover argument does not argue for nor point to a specific God, then the argument is not subjective. Someone who thinks the argument says something that it doesn't say, may erroneously think it's subjective. But it isn't.
I’m saying this logical argument is subjective because different people will interpret it different ways each person using their logic and their reason to come to different conclusions.
Assuming all 3 guys incorrectly interpreted the argument, they still used logic and reason within the argument to reach their various conclusions. This was accomplished because the logic and reason within the argument is based upon personal opinions, assumptions, interpretations, and beliefs (subjective) rather than empirical, measurable facts (objective)
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Objec ... Subjective

P.S RickD I gotta hand it to ya bro; you offer one heck of a challenge! y:-?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:50 pm

I’m saying this logical argument is subjective because different people will interpret it different ways each person using their logic and their reason to come to different conclusions.
Assuming all 3 guys incorrectly interpreted the argument, they still used logic and reason within the argument to reach their various conclusions. This was accomplished because the logic and reason within the argument is based upon personal opinions, assumptions, interpretations, and beliefs (subjective) rather than empirical, measurable facts (objective)

No Kenny, you're not getting it. The argument itself doesn't talk about a God of any specific religion. Neither the premises nor the conclusion of the argument specify a God of any religion. So, people who conclude that the argument proves their God, aren't interpreting the argument. They're adding something to the argument that the argument itself doesn't say.

So, your example does nothing no to prove that the argument itself, is subjective.

And btw,

Byblos posed the challenge, not me. He knows much more about this subject than I do, and you'd do a real disservice if you don't let him help you understand the topic.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm

No Kenny, you're not getting it. The argument itself doesn't talk about a God of any specific religion. Neither the premises nor the conclusion of the argument specify a God of any religion.
I never suggested it did. I’m saying there are people who use this argument to point to their specific religion, and the reason they are able to do this while still remaining logical and reasonable is because the logic within argument itself is based on assumptions, interpretations, and beliefs; not empirical provable facts; thus the link I provided.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:05 pm
RickD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm

No Kenny, you're not getting it. The argument itself doesn't talk about a God of any specific religion. Neither the premises nor the conclusion of the argument specify a God of any religion.
I never suggested it did. I’m saying there are people who use this argument to point to their specific religion, and the reason they are able to do this while still remaining logical and reasonable is because the logic within argument itself is based on assumptions, interpretations, and beliefs; not empirical provable facts; thus the link I provided.
But it still does not make the argument subjective.

-Edward R Murrow