Former Atheist and MIT Professor Found Christ

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Former Atheist and MIT Professor Found Christ

Post by Philip »

This is an interesting article about a person, once a great skeptic and atheist, and her journey to faith in Christ. Today, she is a professor at MIT.
Here are a few interesting quotes the article's author makes:

"In high school, I led a classroom debate team arguing for a godless form of evolution, confident my side would win because “this was science.” When the class voted and awarded victory to the creation side, I was dumbstruck. Most people didn’t understand science, I figured."

"There were two passages I found especially troubling: Matthew 10:33 (“But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.”) and Matthew 12:30 (“Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.”). I resented what felt like an unwelcome ultimatum."

"I didn’t want to believe in God, but I still felt a peculiar sense of love and presence I couldn’t ignore."

"How do we learn if we can’t ask? After the sermon I tried getting answers, but people mostly wanted to socialize. I started coming to Sunday School classes because the teachers let me ask questions. I also kept reading."

"It seemed silly to pray about this—after all, I still had doubts about God’s existence. But in the spirit of Pascal’s wager, I decided to run an experiment, believing I had much to gain but very little to lose."

"After praying, “Jesus Christ, I ask you to be Lord of my life,” my world changed dramatically, as if a flat, black-and-white existence suddenly turned full-color and three-dimensional. But I lost nothing of my urge to seek new knowledge. In fact, I felt emboldened to ask even tougher questions about how the world works. I felt joy and freedom—but also a heightened sense of responsibility and challenge."

"I once thought I was too smart to believe in God. Now I know I was an arrogant fool who snubbed the greatest Mind in the cosmos—the Author of all science, mathematics, art, and everything else there is to know. Today I walk humbly, having received the most undeserved grace. I walk with joy, alongside the most amazing Companion anyone could ask for, filled with desire to keep learning and exploring."
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Former Atheist and MIT Professor Found Christ

Post by 1over137 »

When I was an unbeliever I did not "run the Pascal's wager experiment".
You know, I found that not really honest.
Is it good way to come to God?
Does God like it?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Former Atheist and MIT Professor Found Christ

Post by Philip »

Lover: When I was an unbeliever I did not "run the Pascal's wager experiment".
You know, I found that not really honest.
Is it good way to come to God?
Does God like it?
I can see where Hana is coming from, as for many, a mere experimental prayer is not a sincere one truly wanting an answer - it's just cynically done so the person can mock believers and sarcastically say, "See, I knocked on "God's door," but apparently no one was home!" And then he'll continue, "And why was there no answer - it's because there is NO God to answer!" So they intended a superficial pray to mock and to also prove to themself God doesn't exist. What did Jesus provide his evil accusers? NOTHING but silence! Because He knew of their insincerity!

So, the above is one type of person.

Then there is another type - God knows that certain people, if He were to clearly show them His existence - even if they were not presently seeking Him, that revealing Himself to them anyway WOULD change everything for them, and they would eventually begin to respond to Him in faith. Note the Apostle Paul on the road to Damascas - was He seeking Christ? NO! But God showed Him anyway - as He knew Paul would respond and eventually be used to bring the Gospel to the Gentiles!

There is also a third type - a person who is truly curious and wants to know the truth as to God's existence - this is a person sincerely seeking Him. And God foreknows that this type of person, if He answers them, they will also will respond positively to Him in Faith.

People are wired differently - and thus God reaches them differently. And He knows who, with His help, will eventually respond, and which ones will never do so.