Aliens?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Aliens?

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm
RickD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm very troubled lately. I just walked out my door the other day, and it hit me! The earth IS FLat!

Do you know what it's like to realize that you've been living a lie your entire life?
how does a flat earther get to be bored moderator of a science site?
When looking for mods, they were looking for a smart, well-rounded, handsome, caring, compassionate, friendly person. And when nobody with those qualities was available, I was the only one who didn't have an arrest record, so they hired me.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 pm

I'm very troubled lately. I just walked out my door the other day, and it hit me! The earth IS FLat!

Do you know what it's like to realize that you've been living a lie your entire life?
When looking for mods, they were looking for a smart, well-rounded, handsome, caring, compassionate, friendly person. And when nobody with those qualities was available, I was the only one who didn't have an arrest record, so they hired me.
i fit all those qualifiers. gimme a job. i’m tired of working at taco bell.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 pm
RickD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 pm

i fit all those qualifiers. gimme a job. i’m tired of working at taco bell.
je veux Taco Bell
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Speaking of aliens, who or what were the first things in existence, besides God?

I've read tradition holds the Seraphim are the first creations. Something inside me doesn't think that is the case, but who knows?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Also the trippy descriptions of the Cherubim with the Ophanim are something like that of Sci-Fi or from other legends.
As these are entities from another dimension this doesn't surprise me, and for those who dont recall the Cherubim are humanoid beings with 4 or 6 wings and have 4 heads of an ox, lion, human, and eagle (I think) and there are wheels beside them that move with them that hold their spirit or life essence.

Certainly not Earth based life.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm Speaking of aliens, who or what were the first things in existence, besides God?

I've read tradition holds the Seraphim are the first creations. Something inside me doesn't think that is the case, but who knows?
you’ll understand when you get older
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

EVERYTHING in all eternity past originated with God! One of God's characteristics is that He takes delight in being creative. Another is that he never changes. And that would tell me that He has forever been creating something, somewhere - whether in other non-physical dimensions or physical ones. This universe could be the only physical dimension He's created - or not. We can only speculate. The Bible was written to human beings of earth, in this universe and time - it doesn't address things prior to this universe, other than God being eternal and His characteristics.

So what has God been up to prior to 14 billion years ago - who knows? But He was undoubtedly up to some spectacular things. But He certainly didn't NEED to create anything, and yet He delights in creating - and in restoring. Most people have very finite musings about what it means that God is an eternal Being with no beginning. And just to blow our minds even further - as God is an eternal Being who has forever been creative, saying there was a first thing He created when He's been creative forever - well, yeah, mind-blowing!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Philip wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am EVERYTHING in all eternity past originated with God! One of God's characteristics is that He takes delight in being creative. Another is that he never changes. And that would tell me that He has forever been creating something, somewhere - whether in other non-physical dimensions or physical ones. This universe could be the only physical dimension He's created - or not. We can only speculate. The Bible was written to human beings of earth, in this universe and time - it doesn't address things prior to this universe, other than God being eternal and His characteristics.

So what has God been up to prior to 14 billion years ago - who knows? But He was undoubtedly up to some spectacular things. But He certainly didn't NEED to create anything, and yet He delights in creating - and in restoring. Most people have very finite musings about what it means that God is an eternal Being with no beginning. And just to blow our minds even further - as God is an eternal Being who has forever been creative, saying there was a first thing He created when He's been creative forever - well, yeah, mind-blowing!
Which is exactly why any serious arguments for God's existence tend to shy away from the cosmological argument (beginning of the universe or even time itself). Aquinas went to great lengths to avoid arguing for a temporal beginning since it is logically impossible to prove.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Philip wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am EVERYTHING in all eternity past originated with God! One of God's characteristics is that He takes delight in being creative. Another is that he never changes. And that would tell me that He has forever been creating something, somewhere - whether in other non-physical dimensions or physical ones. This universe could be the only physical dimension He's created - or not. We can only speculate. The Bible was written to human beings of earth, in this universe and time - it doesn't address things prior to this universe, other than God being eternal and His characteristics.

Well since we're on about aliens, the very trippy Ophanim are hard to believe. They exist, as it says in the Good Book, but they are wheels with eyes and wings with eyes on the wheels. Who knows what even stranger things exist?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

How many things on Earth could be aliens?
There's a bacterium that some think could have originated from Mars. I can't find the link.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:01 am How many things on Earth could be aliens?
There's a bacterium that some think could have originated from Mars. I can't find the link.
Does that mean we may all be martians? :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Byblos: Which is exactly why any serious arguments for God's existence tend to shy away from the cosmological argument (beginning of the universe or even time itself). Aquinas went to great lengths to avoid arguing for a temporal beginning since it is logically impossible to prove.
Byblos, very simply, flesh that out a bit, if you would.

I realize that I use the cosmological argument quite a bit - based upon science showing a beginning - at least to our universe. But, to me, it's not even so much that our universe had an apparent beginning, of all things that physically exist. It's that blind, non-intelligent things can't create or see ANYTHING / they have no awareness or abilities, and thus the massively complex creation and its many astonishing designs, functions, interactivities, and insanely precise adherence to complex universal laws necessitates an incredibly powerful Creator/Designer. To say that anything revealing such amazing characteristics could exist without a Creator of such abilities is just logically absurd. Redundantly: We can reasonably argue over this Creator's identity or whether He's communicated with man. But as for the necessity of a Source with the required capabilities to produce the building blocks that first existed, that instantly and so brilliantly began organizing / obeying complex laws, on a massive scale, to increasingly complexity across so many systems and perfectly calibrated on an astonishing number of necessary parameters - well, that should be a logical understanding - that such a powerful, intelligent and purposeful Being HAS to exist.

Because to argue against an intelligent Creator, you should be able to explain how blind, non-intelligent things could ever have produced such things - whether they were eternal or not. What reason does anyone have to believe this could be possible? What analysis or data has shown non-intelligent things producing or creating anything showing intelligence? So, if one believes blind things have such capabilities, and yet without any evidence whatsoever to show that is possible - why do they believe this? Because they WANT to? Because the implications for some god or God isn't a place they want to consider, or they somehow find that personally threatening or unnerving? And because merely asserting not to know the truth of a creator or Creator's existence, or how any of what exists could be otherwise possible, in no way negates the necessity for one with such ability existing.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Byblos wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:09 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:01 am How many things on Earth could be aliens?
Does that mean we may all be martians? :mrgreen:
Then why don't we all like green cheese? :shock:

But no it is not an ancestral bacterium. Though some people DO think all Earth life is Mars based, but I don't buy it. A Venutian one would make more sense though.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

Aliens are fake, they r really just demons.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Aliens are fake, they r really just demons.
I agree - if we're speaking of the ones we always hear about, in unexplainable cases. It's what MIGHT be beyond what we can know about that I wonder about.