Does black privilege exist?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Does black privilege exist?

Post by melanie »

Sorry about the posts without mine attached....issues with my phone and log in after I’ve written in a thread.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I have to add that the mere premise of this thread “Does Black priveldge exist” is ugly. It irks me on so many levels especially considering the opening argument does nothing but highlight why it doesn’t.

This a Christian board, not a platform for damaging ideology. Especially considering it came from a moderator.
It alienates and creates division. It does not open up ‘adult’ discussion when it’s packaged that way. We all have a responsibility myself included to have a little more decorum in how we express our views.
The pen is mightier than the sword.....what we put out there and harbour can be far more damaging than we realise.
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Mel: what we put out there and harbour can be far more damaging than we realise.
Now, I'm not accusing anyone of ANYTHING, but I absolutely agree with this part of Mel's concern, as those of us here, especially the Christians, should realize that the most important aspect of this forum is that it's a ministry FIRST! Otherwise, we're just one more internet forum of people yakking about whatever we might think or disagree on. And so, we need to be especially careful about WHAT we discuss and HOW we discuss it. Because there are non-Christians all over the world that read our posts. So we should continuously be asking ourselves whether certain topics or posts might be potentially offensive or wrongly perceived or processed - as we can sometimes unnecessarily - even when not meaning to offend - kill our witness for Christ.

This above is why I have become hyper viligent over discussions that turn personally hostile, toxic or personally insulting - because it can hurt our mission for Christ. It's why I particularly don't like heated political discussions, as they are usually pointless, solve nothing, and are often very polarizing or damaging to forum relationships - whereas when avoided we might otherwise be more effective in our support of the forum's purpose. We should always be aware that people all over are reading a forum in which we represent Christ! Lastly, this doesn't mean we have to practice political correctness or can't have intense discussions about important topics - it just means we need to be careful in avoiding pointless and avoidable controversies.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 am I have to add that the mere premise of this thread “Does Black priveldge exist” is ugly. It irks me on so many levels especially considering the opening argument does nothing but highlight why it doesn’t.

This a Christian board, not a platform for damaging ideology. Especially considering it came from a moderator.
It alienates and creates division. It does not open up ‘adult’ discussion when it’s packaged that way. We all have a responsibility myself included to have a little more decorum in how we express our views.
The pen is mightier than the sword.....what we put out there and harbour can be far more damaging than we realise.
Aren't we adult enough not to get offended at the mere mention of a controversial subject? Can't we discuss things that may be offensive, without attacking me as a moderator? Things that may cause disagreement or division, should be able to be discussed without people getting offended at the very mention of something considered controversial.

Do we have to walk on eggshells because someone is not mature enough to have a rational discussion about difficult subjects?

What the hell is this world coming to, when we as friends, as brothers and sisters in Christ, feel we need to condemn someone for wanting to talk about a difficult subject?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I would like to think we are all adult and mature enough to discuss all nature of topics and use that same measure of maturity to do so in a way that doesn’t adversely harm the message of Christ.
Differences of opinion help us grow, creating division shuts down conversation and shuns people out.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:01 am I would like to think we are all adult and mature enough to discuss all nature of topics and use that same measure of maturity to do so in a way that doesn’t adversely harm the message of Christ.
Differences of opinion help us grow, creating division shuts down conversation and shuns people out.
Sometimes, by the very nature of what's being discussed, and the sensitivity of certain people, differences in opinion, lead to division.

It's really a shame that I can't bring up a sensitive topic here, with brothers and sisters in Christ, without being vilified for just bringing up a subject.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:57 am In light of the interview where Areva Martin accused radio host David Webb of benefitting from white privilege, I'm asking if black privilege exists.

Let's look at an example of what could possibly be black privilege, where someone benefitted from identifying as black, or African American.

We all know president Obama had an African (negro) father, and a Caucasian mother.

On the 2000 census, Obama checked the black/African American box. He could've checked black, white, both black and white, or he could've checked other.

Did Obama benefit from identifying as black, when it came to being elected president?

In other words, if he chose to check the "white" box, would that have kept him from becoming president?

Or was it in his best interest to identify as an African American?
Does Black privilege exist? Yes. I believe black, brown, white, yellow, tall, short, male, female, whatever it is about you, there will always be areas where your uniqueness will be an advantage and there will also be areas where it will be a disadvantage; it all depends upon where you look. The problem is when a person plays the victim by claiming everybody else has the advantages without realizing his own.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

It's sad-we are a family-not just Christians but ALL humans are family members.

In a sense, the creation is a family. As my grandad said, only the demonic host are the 'true' aliens.

In the future sometime, God promises to have creation so full of knowledge of peacemaking that even animals who act on instinct peaceful with each other.