The Kingdom of God and the death of Jesus

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

The Kingdom of God and the death of Jesus

Post by Christian2 »

Jesus spoke often about the Kingdom of God.

Does Jesus' death and resurrection have anything to do with one's entrance into the Kingdom of God?

Thanks.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Kingdom of God and the death of Jesus

Post by Stu »

Yes, Jesus is the ONLY way into heaven.
Jesus died on the cross for mankind's sins, there is no other sacrifice needed.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Romans 10 tells us how people can be saved:

"9 because, IF you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on ALL who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

And this is re-enforced in many other Bible verses: https://www.openbible.info/labs/cross-r ... ans+10%3A9
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Thanks to all who replied.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Another point worth considering ....“The kingdom of God is within you” (Luke 17:21, KJV)

That's where the mystics go. Why wait till after death ? Then again (it can be dangerous !), sometimes it's better to wait for the afterlife :-)

https://www.gotquestions.org/kingdom-of ... n-you.html
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Here's a nice lecture by N.T. Wright on The Kingdom of God
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTqWDCf0HE
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I listened to NT's video twice. I'm with him on what the Kingdom of God is - that is it is far beyond just salvation and groovy if eternal times in Heaven, and what eternity includes. But I think he's done a somewhat poor job of distinguishing his viewpoint as being potentially perceived as denying justification by faith or emphasizing works and being mistaken in how that works. I don't think he's saying that or that it's an either/or thing. I find it interesting, however, that the Calvinists are often his greatest critics. But evangelicals have historically not preached on much beyond the necessity for salvation and what that requires. Little has been taught about what that ultimately means for those of us in His eternal Kingdom.

I think for Christians, there is much theological disagreement about certain things that we can't perfectly understand right now. But God is bigger than our misunderstandings, and is He that will lead us into truth - if but partial truth for us in this life.

I'd like to find time to read his book: https://www.amazon.com/Justification-Go ... op?ie=UTF8
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:15 pm I'd like to find time to read his book: https://www.amazon.com/Justification-Go ... op?ie=UTF8
I have the book, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

You might find this debate between NT Wright and James White on Justification interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8rMsOCsvY
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

DB, I find it difficult to take much White says seriously, as he is a militant Calvinist who so effortlessly bends Scripture to fit its man-made logic and assertions. You should see the massive list of errors Geisler listed in his response to White's "The Potter's Freedom" book (which was White's response to Geisler's "Chosen But Free" (which is an outstanding rebuttal of Five Point Calvinism).
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:57 pm DB, I find it difficult to take much White says seriously, as he is a militant Calvinist who so effortlessly bends Scripture to fit its man-made logic and assertions. You should see the massive list of errors Geisler listed in his response to White's "The Potter's Freedom" book (which was White's response to Geisler's "Chosen But Free" (which is an outstanding rebuttal of Five Point Calvinism).
I was really more interested in Wright's description of his understanding of Justification. The 'debate' gave Wright an opportunity to directly address some of the concerns that some have expressed regarding his understanding of Justification.

BTW... Geisler's "Chosen But Free" has been a key in helping me understand the relationship between the sovereignty of God and the free will of man. I highly recommend the book, and I have loaned out my copy to fellow Christians who have struggled with that particular topic.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yes, DB, I believe a key lesson from "Chosen But Free" is how easily one can drift into Scriptural error when we attempt to apply the logic of mere mortals to the thinking, ways and abilities of God. What might seem impossible or contradictory to us doesn't necessarily apply to God, or how he does or sees things (and often, mercifully so). And that is precisely the tragic error of the Five Pointers!