Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Post by LittleHamster »

We have a case here where a man says he is the second coming of Christ - just after running over and killing six people, injuring dozens more. He is diagnosed possibly as being schizo. Seems there may have been a fair bit of drug use involved as well.

I don't think anyone in his "right" mind would do such a thing. When is say "right" mind, I mean that which is close to our true (loving) nature.

I suspect that drug use opened up his psychological doorway to the other side and he got possessed. It's terrible stuff to go through and the horror it caused was far worse.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Post by Stu »

I think that some of the time it can be possession and some of the time not, it really depends on each individual case.

Take this case for example:

This man was literally insane, and was about to have lobotomy type surgery (this was still legal in the 1970's) that would leave him in a vegetable state.

Luckily a pastor came by and said a prayer to be healed in Jesus name (he was in restraints) and at that very moment he was healed of his insanity. The name of Jesus healed him instantly. But the story didn't end there - he was still scheduled for his lobotomy surgery the next day!! Watch the video, it's eye-opening.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Is diabetes a form of demon possession?

Is arthritis a form of demon possession?

Is influenza a form of demon possession?

Are migraines a form of demon possession?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

ILLNESS is not possession. But the question is, when is it illness and when might it be possession.

Here's an interesting take on the differences: https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/ ... lness.html

The other question is, can a person not be mentally ill - an illness of the mind. I can tell you with certainty that they can be. And this can often be controlled by medications - sometimes very well. Anyone knowing a bipolar person with raging mania, and seeing how they are brought back to normal thinking and behavior by the right meds realizes that mental illness is real and can be treated.

But I would think that there are similarities between the manifestations of some mentally ill persons and those possessed. Which is why Christian psychiatrists are consulted - a layperson may not know the difference.

As far as exorcism or removing demons, I was surprised to come across this article from Christianity Today - that doesn't typically publish whacked-out stuff: https://www.christianitytoday.com/pasto ... monic.html I'm a bit skeptical of some of the detail this person practices, because it seems unnecessary, per how Scripture describes such removal.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am Is diabetes a form of demon possession?

Is arthritis a form of demon possession?

Is influenza a form of demon possession?

Are migraines a form of demon possession?
Is posting multiple questions on demon possession a form of demon possession ?

Is asking a poster a question on demon possession on his questions on demon possession a form of demon possession ?

sorry, couldn't resist. :ebiggrin:
Philip wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am ILLNESS is not possession. But the question is, when is it illness and when might it be possession.

Here's an interesting take on the differences: https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/ ... lness.html

As far as exorcism or removing demons, I was surprised to come across this article from Christianity Today - that doesn't typically publish whacked-out stuff: https://www.christianitytoday.com/pasto ... monic.html I'm a bit skeptical of some of the detail this person practices, because it seems unnecessary, per how Scripture describes such removal.
Thanks Phillip. I couldn't read the full article on the second link. Got the 'must login first' demon - annoying !
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

The apostles asked Jesus if a blind person was blind due to sin but Jesus said no. I don't think mental health is possession
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Maybe Donald Trump can shed some light on this question. :lol:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Demonic possession CAN pass as Schizophrenia to the untrained ( in both).
The criteria for a demonic possession is such that anyone fulfilling it will HAVE A LOT more going on than "simple" Mental Health issues.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
Maybe he took a Jesus pill.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

"Maybe he took a Jesus pill."
His mother claims that.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".
What if the person is possessed by more than one demon? Couldn't that mean more than one voice?

And what if the demons possessing the man are effeminate demons?
Don't effeminate demons have the strength of a wimpy woman?

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm
What if the person is possessed by more than one demon? Couldn't that mean more than one voice?

I don't know if you are serious...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 am
RickD wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I don't know if you are serious...
y:-?

-Edward R Murrow