Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 34 times

Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#1

Post by LittleHamster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

We have a case here where a man says he is the second coming of Christ - just after running over and killing six people, injuring dozens more. He is diagnosed possibly as being schizo. Seems there may have been a fair bit of drug use involved as well.

I don't think anyone in his "right" mind would do such a thing. When is say "right" mind, I mean that which is close to our true (loving) nature.

I suspect that drug use opened up his psychological doorway to the other side and he got possessed. It's terrible stuff to go through and the horror it caused was far worse.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

User avatar
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#2

Post by Stu » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 am

I think that some of the time it can be possession and some of the time not, it really depends on each individual case.

Take this case for example:




This man was literally insane, and was about to have lobotomy type surgery (this was still legal in the 1970's) that would leave him in a vegetable state.

Luckily a pastor came by and said a prayer to be healed in Jesus name (he was in restraints) and at that very moment he was healed of his insanity. The name of Jesus healed him instantly. But the story didn't end there - he was still scheduled for his lobotomy surgery the next day!! Watch the video, it's eye-opening.
These users liked this post by Stu:
LittleHamster (Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm)
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20592
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1023 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#3

Post by RickD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Is diabetes a form of demon possession?

Is arthritis a form of demon possession?

Is influenza a form of demon possession?

Are migraines a form of demon possession?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 590 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#4

Post by Philip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am

ILLNESS is not possession. But the question is, when is it illness and when might it be possession.

Here's an interesting take on the differences: https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/ ... lness.html

The other question is, can a person not be mentally ill - an illness of the mind. I can tell you with certainty that they can be. And this can often be controlled by medications - sometimes very well. Anyone knowing a bipolar person with raging mania, and seeing how they are brought back to normal thinking and behavior by the right meds realizes that mental illness is real and can be treated.

But I would think that there are similarities between the manifestations of some mentally ill persons and those possessed. Which is why Christian psychiatrists are consulted - a layperson may not know the difference.

As far as exorcism or removing demons, I was surprised to come across this article from Christianity Today - that doesn't typically publish whacked-out stuff: https://www.christianitytoday.com/pasto ... monic.html I'm a bit skeptical of some of the detail this person practices, because it seems unnecessary, per how Scripture describes such removal.
These users liked this post by Philip:
LittleHamster (Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm)

User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#5

Post by LittleHamster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm

RickD wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am
Is diabetes a form of demon possession?

Is arthritis a form of demon possession?

Is influenza a form of demon possession?

Are migraines a form of demon possession?
Is posting multiple questions on demon possession a form of demon possession ?

Is asking a poster a question on demon possession on his questions on demon possession a form of demon possession ?

sorry, couldn't resist. :ebiggrin:
Philip wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am
ILLNESS is not possession. But the question is, when is it illness and when might it be possession.

Here's an interesting take on the differences: https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/coping/ ... lness.html
.
.

As far as exorcism or removing demons, I was surprised to come across this article from Christianity Today - that doesn't typically publish whacked-out stuff: https://www.christianitytoday.com/pasto ... monic.html I'm a bit skeptical of some of the detail this person practices, because it seems unnecessary, per how Scripture describes such removal.
Thanks Phillip. I couldn't read the full article on the second link. Got the 'must login first' demon - annoying !
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

User avatar
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#6

Post by UsagiTsukino » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:09 pm

The apostles asked Jesus if a blind person was blind due to sin but Jesus said no. I don't think mental health is possession

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 590 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#7

Post by Philip » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Maybe Donald Trump can shed some light on this question. :lol:

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#8

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Demonic possession CAN pass as Schizophrenia to the untrained ( in both).
The criteria for a demonic possession is such that anyone fulfilling it will HAVE A LOT more going on than "simple" Mental Health issues.

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 590 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#9

Post by Philip » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm

One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20592
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1023 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#10

Post by RickD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Philip wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm
One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
Maybe he took a Jesus pill.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7812
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 590 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#11

Post by Philip » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

"Maybe he took a Jesus pill."
His mother claims that.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#12

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am

Philip wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm
One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20592
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1023 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#13

Post by RickD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am
Philip wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm
One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".
What if the person is possessed by more than one demon? Couldn't that mean more than one voice?

And what if the demons possessing the man are effeminate demons?
Don't effeminate demons have the strength of a wimpy woman?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 331 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#14

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 am

RickD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm
PaulSacramento wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am
Philip wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm
One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".
What if the person is possessed by more than one demon? Couldn't that mean more than one voice?

And what if the demons possessing the man are effeminate demons?
Don't effeminate demons have the strength of a wimpy woman?
I don't know if you are serious...

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20592
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1023 times

Re: Is Schizophrenia a form of Demonic Posession ?

#15

Post by RickD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 am
RickD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm
PaulSacramento wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am
Philip wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm
One test for the difference might be if medication controls it. My nephew has "schizo-affective" disorder. He has heard voices for many years. And they were always telling him what to do. He once told me he would argue with them - or rebel, by either doing the opposite of what they told him or just not going along. But now, after years of medication, he's not mentioned this phenomena. Gone or not, it certainly makes me wonder what the real issue is.
So, here is the thing, with demonic possession, you don't hear voices - you hear A voice.
Also, there are physical signs that MUST be present ( ability to do things that can't be done, physical strength beyond the norm, etc)
When one sees the evidence for possession and experiences it, there is no real "gray area".
What if the person is possessed by more than one demon? Couldn't that mean more than one voice?

And what if the demons possessing the man are effeminate demons?
Don't effeminate demons have the strength of a wimpy woman?
I don't know if you are serious...
y:-?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Post Reply