N.Y. adopts law allowing abortion up to nine months

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: N.Y. adopts law allowing abortion up to nine months

Post by RickD »

The "Keep abortion safe" argument is absolutely ridiculous.

In all successful abortions, at least one human being dies. How is that safe?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nils
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Nils »

Some years ago I debated with a person that had published a video on the net where he argued against abortion. He is a teacher in theology and philosophy and a smart guy so I thought it was interesting to debate his view. He answered that in a debate with an atheist the religious arguments aren’t important, there are other, secular, arguments against abortion. We debated them for a while but I didn’t find them convincing. However, when I looked at his religious arguments I noticed that he only had three references to the Bible and I found them rather weak (I don’t remember them in detail). So I ask you, what are your arguments and where in the Bible do you find them?
Do you find them conclusive and why?

Note that I want other arguments than the simplified “thou shalt not kill” that assumes that abortion is equivalent to killing. My question is: Where does the Bible say so?

Nils
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Nils wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 am Some years ago I debated with a person that had published a video on the net where he argued against abortion. He is a teacher in theology and philosophy and a smart guy so I thought it was interesting to debate his view. He answered that in a debate with an atheist the religious arguments aren’t important, there are other, secular, arguments against abortion. We debated them for a while but I didn’t find them convincing. However, when I looked at his religious arguments I noticed that he only had three references to the Bible and I found them rather weak (I don’t remember them in detail). So I ask you, what are your arguments and where in the Bible do you find them?

Note that I want other arguments than the simplified “thou shalt not kill” that assumes that abortion is equivalent to killing. My question is: Where does the Bible say so?

Nils
What's your opinion on abortion right up to 9 months?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

It is important for people to understand what it is they're advocating. Not all abortions are the same.

Curious Nils, where would you draw the line?

3rd trimester abortions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=r5Af8vIym2o (NY allows)
2nd trimester abortions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgw4X7Dw_3k
1st trimester abortions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THDmys8z30
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

I think the nuances of such laws are relevant. Do I think third trimester abortions are ethical, no I don't. The mere suggestion is confronting. But when I read the parameters of the bill, from a medical perspective I understood a little more.

"when the mother’s life was in danger or the fetus was no longer viable."
What that means is the fetus is dead. No one could legitimately hold it against anyone medically or ethically for aborting a dead child. Secondly if the mother's life is at risk then that's between herself, her partner, her baby, her other children and God.
If it were me, in that position I'm not sure what I would do. I will say a mothers instinct to protect her children is greater than any force of nature. I trust that any woman placed in that awful predicament for health reasons would make the best decision for her family.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:05 am I think the nuances of such laws are relevant. Do I think third trimester abortions are ethical, no I don't. The mere suggestion is confronting. But when I read the parameters of the bill, from a medical perspective I understood a little more.

What that means is the fetus is dead. No one could legitimately hold it against anyone medically or ethically for aborting a dead child. Secondly if the mother's life is at risk then that's between herself, her partner, her baby, her other children and God.
If it were me, in that position I'm not sure what I would do. I will say a mothers instinct to protect her children is greater than any force of nature. I trust that any woman placed in that awful predicament for health reasons would make the best decision for her family.
Except for the fact that what you said, isn't what the bill says, at all.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

melanie wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:05 am I think the nuances of such laws are relevant. Do I think third trimester abortions are ethical, no I don't. The mere suggestion is confronting. But when I read the parameters of the bill, from a medical perspective I understood a little more.

The bill also says for mental reasons you can abort at nine months.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:21 am

The bill also says for mental reasons you can abort at nine months.
And that's the problem with the bill. Mental health? Who decides the mental health of the mother? Does she? If she's having hormonal problems in her pregnancy, that cause her "mental health" problems, does the bill allow her to be able to decide legally, to have an abortion?

-Edward R Murrow

Nils
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Nils »

Kurieuo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:39 am It is important for people to understand what it is they're advocating. Not all abortions are the same.

Where to draw the line is a compromise between setting the line as low as possible to limit the danger of relativizing the respect for life on one hand and as high as possible to permit the families or individuals that don’t want a child to be able to interrupt the pregnancy on the other. In Sweden abortion is free up to the 18th week and after special permission up to the 22nd week. Any time after the 18th week The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare may permit abortion if there are particularly important reasons for instance if the life of the mother is in danger. I find those rules reasonable and I don’t see any need of free abortion up to 9 months.

There are similar limits in many European countries.
3rd trimester abortions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=r5Af8vIym2o (NY allows)
As I understand it most abortions are done medically not by a surgical procedure. What I found is that the risk of abortion e.g. not being able to get pregnant again is very low, 0.1%.

But what’s your answer to the question in my last post?

Nils
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 am
Nils wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 am Some years ago I debated with a person that had published a video on the net where he argued against abortion. He is a teacher in theology and philosophy and a smart guy so I thought it was interesting to debate his view. He answered that in a debate with an atheist the religious arguments aren’t important, there are other, secular, arguments against abortion. We debated them for a while but I didn’t find them convincing. However, when I looked at his religious arguments I noticed that he only had three references to the Bible and I found them rather weak (I don’t remember them in detail). So I ask you, what are your arguments and where in the Bible do you find them?

Nils
Why would anyone use a religious argument from the Bible, about abortion, with someone who doesn't believe in the authority of the Bible?

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nils wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:05 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:39 am It is important for people to understand what it is they're advocating. Not all abortions are the same.

Where to draw the line is a compromise between setting the line as low as possible to limit the danger of relativizing the respect for life on one hand and as high as possible to permit the families or individuals that don’t want a child to be able to interrupt the pregnancy on the other. In Sweden abortion is free up to the 18th week and after special permission up to the 22nd week. Any time after the 18th week The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare may permit abortion if there are particularly important reasons for instance if the life of the mother is in danger. I find those rules reasonable and I don’t see any need of free abortion up to 9 months.

There are similar limits in many European countries.
As I understand it most abortions are done medically not by a surgical procedure. What I found is that the risk of abortion e.g. not being able to get pregnant again is very low, 0.1%.

But what’s your answer to the question in my last post?

Nils
I listed the procedures done in my last post for 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters as many will use the term abortion this and abortion that, heck in Australia we had philosophers in ethics calling infanticide post-birth abortions. So abortion itself is just an ambiguous guise as I see for what actually takes place.

The videos I linked to above were put together by a doctor who has performed 100s of abortions. They illustrate what takes place during an abortion based upon how far along the pregnancy is. Watch them (there are no real life images), and it is in reference to them I wish to know where you might draw the line.

Re: Scripture, your question, it's a lie perpetuated by pro-aborts that only Christians believe abortion is wrong because the Bible tells them so. Rather the strongest arguments against killing an unborn baby are found in biology and science. Check out www.secularprolife.org
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Nils
Why would anyone use a religious argument from the Bible, about abortion, with someone who doesn't believe in the authority of the Bible?
I'm not. It's murder at nine months once the baby leaves the womb. Yet it's "abortion" at nine months if the baby is still in the womb. It is not logical. Wanted his take on it coming from an atheist/agnostics perspective.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:33 am

Nils
I'm not. It's murder at nine months once the baby leaves the womb. Yet it's "abortion" at nine months if the baby is still in the womb. It is not logical. Wanted his take on it coming from an atheist/agnostics perspective.
Stu,

I was referring to the question by Nils. He was looking for a biblical argument against abortion. Sorry for the confusion.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 am
Stu wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:33 am

Nils
Stu,

I was referring to the question by Nils. He was looking for a biblical argument against abortion. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah, no worries.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Nils
Here is one:

Jeremiah 1:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
The Call of Jeremiah
4 The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

6 “Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

Thou shalt not kill... if this is not a small human being then I don't know what is.
12 week old baby