The 'Lost' Books of the Bible

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The 'Lost' Books of the Bible

Post by Philip »

Came across this list and dating of all of the so-called "Lost" Gospel books.

https://carm.org/lost-books-overview

Notice an obvious problem with each of them? As to a one, they were written FAR after the living eyewitness era of the New Testament writers and observers.

And here is a great resource on each of these "lost" books, their contents, and why they are obviously unScriptural.

https://carm.org/lost-books

And here, in contrast, is a listing of the approximate dates of the New Testament writings: https://carm.org/when-were-gospels-written-and-by-whom
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: The 'Lost' Books of the Bible

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Philip wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 am Came across this list and dating of all of the so-called "Lost" Gospel books.

https://carm.org/lost-books-overview

Notice an obvious problem with each of them? As to a one, they were written FAR after the living eyewitness era of the New Testament writers and observers.

And here is a great resource on each of these "lost" books, their contents, and why they are obviously unScriptural.

https://carm.org/lost-books

And here, in contrast, is a listing of the approximate dates of the New Testament writings: https://carm.org/when-were-gospels-written-and-by-whom
The Gospel of Thomas mentioned young Jesus as bad.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Some popes endorse St. Thomas, most notably "as a master of thought and a model of the right way to do theology" among other things ( https://thomasaquinas.edu/a-liberating- ... -st-thomas)

I looked at some of the 'supposed' teachings and they seem to have a totally different flavor compared to the NT gospels. Probably because they were written much later. They look a tad gnostic with a dash of mysticism perhaps. A few differences mentioned here -> https://carm.org/questions-about-the-gospel-of-thomas.

So what's the verdict about the Gospel ? Was it written by him? If so was his Gospel guided by the Holy Spirit ? If not, was there some kind of ulterior motive or sinister intent behind it or was it written by someone who genuinely believed what he wrote as being correct ?
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There was a strict criteria the early church used for deciding the canon - read all aboutvit here:
viewtopic.php?p=228201#p228201
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The process of canonization of the bible wasn't that complex.
They had a list of authoritative books and letters in circulation ( The council didn't make these books and letters authoritative, they already were) and what they did was agree on which ones were the "most" authoritative and they did that based on the traditions handed down over the centuries.
The GOT was always viewed as a "gnostic" writing and very few held it as authoritative, much less on par with the Gospels and the Epistles.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Oops, I got my Thomas's mixed up :shock: (my first link was wrong one) but thanks for the replies. That was a interestingly nice read Philip. (!!!!)
Philip wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 am ......deciding the canon - read all aboutvit here:
viewtopic.php?p=228201#p228201
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am .....The GOT was always viewed as a "gnostic" writing and very few held it as authoritative, much less on par with the Gospels and the Epistles.
I recall somewhere that it was Pope John Paul II that acknowledged the GOT while visiting India. I can't recall what he said about it. I'm gonna have to investigate.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

LittleCricetinae wrote:
I recall somewhere that it was Pope John Paul II that acknowledged the GOT while visiting India. I can't recall what he said about it. I'm gonna have to investigate.
The pope acknowledged GOT?

Winter is Coming.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

RickD wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm
LittleCricetinae wrote:

Winter is Coming.
I think he was acknowledging the Apostle Thomas rather than his gospel. Anyway, after reading some of the stuff, I don't think I'd include it in the New Testament either.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

LittleHamster wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm
LittleCricetinae wrote:

Winter is Coming.
I think he was acknowledging the Apostle Thomas rather than his gospel. Anyway, after reading some of the stuff, I don't think I'd include it in the New Testament either.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

RickD wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm
LittleHamster wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm
LittleCricetinae wrote:

Winter is Coming.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
"It doesn’t mean that Jon doesn’t know anything at all. It is a reminder to Jon to think better. To solve mysteries. To plan ahead and think long term. Jon takes lessons from this. His interactions and life with the Wildlings teach him humility and understanding. He finally comes to accept the Wildlings as ordinary people. " - https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-phr ... -Snow-mean
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-Edward R Murrow

LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Crikey....this one's got me stumped. Did Satan write this ?

14. Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits. "

This can't possibly be the Apostle Thomas. I reckon Cyril could be onto something:

Wikipedia .... "In the 4th century, Cyril of Jerusalem considered the author (of the Gospel of Thomas) (to be) a disciple of Mani who was also called Thomas.[72] Cyril stated: [73] Mani had three disciples: Thomas, Baddas and Hermas. 'Let no one read the Gospel according to Thomas. For he is not one of the twelve apostles but one of the three wicked disciples of Mani.' "