HELP!!! Need urgent PC advice!

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

HELP!!! Need urgent PC advice!

Post by Philip »

Guys, my PC's motherboard died - and at the worst possible time. So I must get another PC tower ASAP! My computer guy thinks he can save and transfer the files to another machine. Any recommendations on a brand? I'd like to find a used / but fairly new tower - or a refurbished one. My repair guy likes Lenovo. I've had several Dells. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Philip
Byblos
Old School

Re: HELP!!! Need urgent PC advice!

Post by Byblos »

Philip wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 am Guys, my PC's motherboard died - and at the worst possible time. So I must get another PC tower ASAP! My computer guy thinks he can save and transfer the files to another machine. Any recommendations on a brand? I'd like to find a used / but fairly new tower - or a refurbished one. My repair guy likes Lenovo. I've had several Dells. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Philip
Stay away from Lenovo, it hasn't been the same since IBM sold it. Dell is a solid choice. And of course your data is salvageable considering it's the motherboard that died, not the hard disk. If anything, your repair guy can either put the hard disk in a new machine as primary. Or at minimum, install it and map it as a secondary drive (D). In either case you don't need to transfer anything, your data's all there. And please make a backup, huh!
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks, Byblos! I did make a backup - first a mirror image one about a year ago and backed up my folders about six months back - yeah, not enough, I know.

Came across pc mag's recent pc reliability survey, and Acer came out needing the least repairs of all brands - so I think I'm going with that.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Personal computer? This is 2018, and nobody uses a personal computer anymore. Do you still have dial up too? Do you also have a rotary phone?

Maybe you should have kept your typewriter, for times when your PC goes kaput.

Dude, use a laptop, like the rest of us who have evolved past Neanderthal.

:thanks:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Laptops have big drawbacks for comfort, use, and quick access and transfer of files and documents. I DETEST laptops. If I need portability, I use an ipad - or iphone.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Philip wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 pm Laptops have big drawbacks for comfort, use, and quick access and transfer of files and documents. I DETEST laptops. If I need portability, I use an ipad - or iphone.
And even if you get top of line laptop, you will never match the speed, capacity for expansion, or cost of a decent desktop.

On the other hand, ipad? iphone? Ugh, I DETEST everything Apple. No thank you. I'll stick with my open source Android.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Byblos: And even if you get top of line laptop, you will never match the speed, capacity for expansion, or cost of a decent desktop.
Absolutely! They may not be sexy and portable, but for certain needs and bang for your buck, they are unbeatable!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

RickD wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 pm Image
sounds like dad and cell phones... one of the reasons i dont have one
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

There is a reason why God didn't want us touching apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XneTBhRPYk
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

That's because one should never go to a big shop - and especially not a manufacturer's repair store - to fix their computer. One needs to find a competent, small business who perhaps works from home or not in some high-rent retail location. The guy I went to has done work for me before. He troubleshot my old PC, diagnosed the problem, transferred all my files over to the new machine - did it all for $40! Amazing! Most shops want $50 just to look at it.