Richard Dawkins: Church Bells vs Allahu Akhbar?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Richard Dawkins: Church Bells vs Allahu Akhbar?

Post by Kurieuo »

Dawkins Twittered: Listening to the lovely bells of Winchester, one of our great mediaeval cathedrals. So much nicer than the aggressive-sounding “Allahu Akhbar.” Or is that just my cultural upbringing?

Seems like the pharisaical extreme left crucified Dawkins for his "racist" comments. So what do you think?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Richard Dawkins: Church Bells vs Allahu Akhbar?

Post by RickD »

Of course it's his cultural upbringing.

Don't you remember when President Obama said that the Muslim call to prayer is one of the prettiest sounds on earth?

That was because of his cultural upbringing, because Obama is clearly a Christian.

The same goes for me. I grew up in the most catholic state in the US. I've been to Christmas midnight mass at a Catholic Church in my home town, and those Christmas hymns were amazing on Christmas Eve.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Kurieuo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 pmSeems like the pharisaical extreme left crucified Dawkins for his "racist" comments. So what do you think?
Seems like somebody got a word a day calendar...
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 pmSeems like the pharisaical extreme left crucified Dawkins for his "racist" comments. So what do you think?
Seems like somebody got a word a day calendar...
Which word did you get today?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Ed, while you're here, on a more serious note, do you find his words racist? If so, why? Honest questions.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Kurieuo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 pm Ed, while you're here, on a more serious note, do you find his words racist? If so, why? Honest questions.
No, I don't consider his words racist. In fact, I think his comment was the antithesis of racism. I think he was making the point that what we find pleasant or discomfiting is influenced by our cultural upbringing. The implication is that we need to be aware of our cultural biases.

I lived in Mexico for six months and was frequently appalled by things that violated my ingrained cultural norms. The noise, the vendors blocking the sidewalks, the constant interruptions by kids selling Chiclets and flowers, the people jamming in next to you on a bus, and nobody waiting their turn in the men's room at a soccer game or holding a door open sometimes made me very uncomfortable. I'm from neat, orderly, polite New Hampshire, and Mexican cultural norms were, at times, really jolting. That doesn't mean that I hated Mexico or Mexicans, just that sometimes the way they did things left me with a sense of wrongness. It wasn't at all what I was used to. After a while, though, I got used to it. In fact, I acclimated to the point that when I got home the streets of Minneapolis felt kind of empty and sterile. There's a lot to like about life in a Mexican city once you get your head around the differences.

And by the way, I'm no fan of Islam or Christianity, but I mostly like the bells and I agree with President Obama that the Muslim call to prayer can be hauntingly beautiful. If you've never heard one you should check it out.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Islam is not a race, nor are muslims.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

neo-x wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 am Islam is not a race, nor are muslims.
I know, was just going with the stupidity of other people calling Dawkins racist and the general sentiments of what they mean when they call him racist. I'm sure Ed also understands it isn't a race issue.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

edwardmurphy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 pm
Kurieuo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 pm Ed, while you're here, on a more serious note, do you find his words racist? If so, why? Honest questions.
No, I don't consider his words racist. In fact, I think his comment was the antithesis of racism. I think he was making the point that what we find pleasant or discomfiting is influenced by our cultural upbringing. The implication is that we need to be aware of our cultural biases.

I lived in Mexico for six months and was frequently appalled by things that violated my ingrained cultural norms. The noise, the vendors blocking the sidewalks, the constant interruptions by kids selling Chiclets and flowers, the people jamming in next to you on a bus, and nobody waiting their turn in the men's room at a soccer game or holding a door open sometimes made me very uncomfortable. I'm from neat, orderly, polite New Hampshire, and Mexican cultural norms were, at times, really jolting. That doesn't mean that I hated Mexico or Mexicans, just that sometimes the way they did things left me with a sense of wrongness. It wasn't at all what I was used to. After a while, though, I got used to it. In fact, I acclimated to the point that when I got home the streets of Minneapolis felt kind of empty and sterile. There's a lot to like about life in a Mexican city once you get your head around the differences.

And by the way, I'm no fan of Islam or Christianity, but I mostly like the bells and I agree with President Obama that the Muslim call to prayer can be hauntingly beautiful. If you've never heard one you should check it out.
I prefer the chant of Chinese monks, even if being Christian I think they're deceived.

Islam as I see is tainted with violence, no matter the naive innocence of a practicing Muslim, so I'm not sure I could find anything beautiful about it -- except the actual humanity in the persons themselves. We're all human and share in that.

I think Dawkins just found himself in the vicinity of a church bell, and the thought went into his head that he actually doesn't mind it even though it's Christian (which he doesn't like). Then thinking up a Muslim equivilent Allahu Akhbar came to mind, which produced a quite different feeling (given it is often marred by a Muslim about to blow themselves up).

I think Dawkins knew voicing his experience would cause a stir, and just wanted to see how much of one it would cause. The outrage is pretty dumb to me, but acts as a type of verification to me that the "inquisition" today exists kind of on the side of an extreme left ideology. I'm not even sure it should be called "left", for if one means "liberal" by that -- it is anything but. Nonetheless, for lack of a better label of the underpinning ideas...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that Dawkins understands the difference between what people do BECAUSE of what their religion teaches and what people do IN SPITE of what their religion teaches.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

He should move to an Islamic country and practice his system of belief there.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

B. W. wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 am He should move to an Islamic country and practice his system of belief there.
It's interesting that you'd say that, since you seem to object to him practicing his system of belief here at least as much as the average Middle Easterner would object to it over there. I get the strong sense that people like me have the freedom to openly disbelieve because people like you are a small minority.

Am I wrong, B.W.?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I think B.W. was making a point that he wouldn't have the same freedoms in a Muslim country, that he has in the west.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

I know he was. And I was making the point that, based on 4 years of reading his words, I get the sense that he'd deny me those freedoms if he had half a chance. It's the logical extension of his oft-repeated belief that I'm an evil leftie who wants to destroy America. If I'm an enemy of our nation then I should be suppressed, should I not? Not to do so would be irresponsible.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 am I know he was. And I was making the point that, based on 4 years of reading his words, I get the sense that he'd deny me those freedoms if he had half a chance. It's the logical extension of his oft-repeated belief that I'm an evil leftie who wants to destroy America. If I'm an enemy of our nation then I should be suppressed, should I not? Not to do so would be irresponsible.
Ed, you still post here don't you?

For four years... deny you?

:scratchinghead:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys