Survival of the Fittest

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Survival of the Fittest

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:58 pm
Philip wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 pm
I'm hoping this is sarcasm because to promote that God ACTUALLY and LITERALLY delights in flesh burning is quite a statement and one I do not agree with at all.
God delighted in the sacrifices and what they represented, not the burning flesh. But make no mistake, it was God that implemented the sacrificial system. He had these animals slaughtered and burned on the altar. Note God used animal skins to clothe Adam and Eve. God created the predator / prey system - why do you think carnivores and omnivores like bears have canines - as opposed to the kind teeth of herbivores have? Just because peace will one day come, even to the animal kingdom, this has nothing to do with who set up the system as it is now. And if this were somehow wrong, God would have forbidden the eating of animal flesh.
I'll repeat: I'm hoping this is sarcasm because to promote that God ACTUALLY and LITERALLY delights in flesh burning is quite a statement and one I do not agree with at all.
Sarcasm, no. Symbolism, yes. God delighted in what the burning flesh represented.

In other words, reread where Philip directly answers this already, in the part of his response I underlined.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:11 pm
I'm hoping this is sarcasm because to promote that God ACTUALLY and LITERALLY delights in flesh burning is quite a statement and one I do not agree with at all.
God delighted in the sacrifices and what they represented, not the burning flesh. But make no mistake, it was God that implemented the sacrificial system. He had these animals slaughtered and burned on the altar. Note God used animal skins to clothe Adam and Eve. God created the predator / prey system - why do you think carnivores and omnivores like bears have canines - as opposed to the kind teeth of herbivores have? Just because peace will one day come, even to the animal kingdom, this has nothing to do with who set up the system as it is now. And if this were somehow wrong, God would have forbidden the eating of animal flesh.
I'll repeat: I'm hoping this is sarcasm because to promote that God ACTUALLY and LITERALLY delights in flesh burning is quite a statement and one I do not agree with at all.
Sarcasm, no. Symbolism, yes. God delighted in what the burning flesh represented.

In other words, reread where Philip directly answers this already, in the part of his response I underlined.
I do see that. My response stemmed from the initial post of Philip. The first one SEEMS to be sarcasm which is why I replied in the manner I did. He mentioned God loves a good BBQ...and in the context of the sacrificial animals and to the act of Christ on the cross, seems a bit crass...TO ME.

I don’t see any “symbolism” in saying God loves a good BBQ as if Christ’s death is akin to a family BBQ of being pool side playing games and having a great time.

I simply wanted to make sure and I apologize for not knowing what people actually mean by their words. Not everyone that might glance over these threads will have that knowledge.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I do see that. My response stemmed from the initial post of Philip. The first one SEEMS to be sarcasm which is why I replied in the manner I did. He mentioned God loves a good BBQ...and in the context of the sacrificial animals and to the act of Christ on the cross, seems a bit crass...TO ME.

I don’t see any “symbolism” in saying God loves a good BBQ as if Christ’s death is akin to a family BBQ of being pool side playing games and having a great time.

I simply wanted to make sure and I apologize for not knowing what people actually mean by their words. Not everyone that might glance over these threads will have that knowledge.
Anyone without aspergers could tell he was joking*.

*Now that's sarcasm. See the difference? :poke:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Ok...I don’t agree. I would expect that manner of joke from a non-believer...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Now that was a funny comeback Bav! You're starting to catch on!

We'll give you a sense of humor, even if we have to beat it into you!

-Edward R Murrow

BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Honestly, I meant nothing humorous in that post.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:58 pm
RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Honestly, I meant nothing humorous in that post.
You're not the only one who doesn't get sarcasm. But don't feel so bad. This guy doesn't either.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Bav, I think you hyper-focused upon the last thing that my intended humorous response was meant to convey - and that was, God ordained the eating of meat, the use of it in sacrifices, and as a necessary element in carnivores' diets and the food chain. And herbivores eat plants (living biological entities). And that the supposed association by some that the killing of animals is a result or design of evil is absurd. BTW, I think God has a good sense of humor - what would be wrong is to mock God's specific instructions about meat by saying it is by design of the devil or a result of sin. Hyperbole and APPROPRIATE sarcasm of exaggeration is sometimes used in Scripture to illustrate a bigger point - which is what I was doing.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm You're not the only one who doesn't get sarcasm. But don't feel so bad. This guy doesn't either.
I don’t see why you think I don’t understand *. What I don’t understand is the use of * in a serious discussion and not truly knowing when one has turned on the * and/or turned * off. Now I see the * being used...and to me, that in itself is *. I assumed Philip was being *, but couldn’t understand the * on such a subject as the shedding of blood for the remission of sins being related to a BBQ of which God’s only requirement is that none of the meat being pork.

Do you see the * above?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Philip wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 pm Bav, I think you hyper-focused upon the last thing that my intended humorous response was meant to convey - and that was, God ordained the eating of meat, the use of it in sacrifices, and as a necessary element in carnivores' diets and the food chain. And herbivores eat plants (living biological entities). And that the supposed association by some that the killing of animals is a result or design of evil is absurd. BTW, I think God has a good sense of humor - what would be wrong is to mock God's specific instructions about meat by saying it is by design of the devil or a result of sin. Hyperbole and APPROPRIATE sarcasm of exaggeration is sometimes used in Scripture to illustrate a bigger point - which is what I was doing.
Cool...I’m just not in the * state of mind when discussing what to me is serious...and granted maybe it’s only me that takes this serious.

You’re not the one’s being deemed whatever for certain beliefs, are you? You’re in the “club” and I’m not, so to speak.
Last edited by BavarianWheels on Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:29 pm
RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm You're not the only one who doesn't get sarcasm. But don't feel so bad. This guy doesn't either.
I don’t see why you think I don’t understand *. What I don’t understand is the use of * in a serious discussion and not truly knowing when one has turned on the * and/or turned * off. Now I see the * being used...and to me, that in itself is *. I assumed Philip was being *, but couldn’t understand the * on such a subject as the shedding of blood for the remission of sins being related to a BBQ of which God’s only requirement is that none of the meat being pork.

Do you see the * above?
If I didn't know better, I'd think your post was full of *.
;)

Edit: and to be fair to you, Philip is not quite as proficient in the use of sarcasm, and jokes, as I am. So, I can see why you might not understand his painfully awful attempts at humor. But he gets an A for effort!

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 pm
Philip wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 pm Bav, I think you hyper-focused upon the last thing that my intended humorous response was meant to convey - and that was, God ordained the eating of meat, the use of it in sacrifices, and as a necessary element in carnivores' diets and the food chain. And herbivores eat plants (living biological entities). And that the supposed association by some that the killing of animals is a result or design of evil is absurd. BTW, I think God has a good sense of humor - what would be wrong is to mock God's specific instructions about meat by saying it is by design of the devil or a result of sin. Hyperbole and APPROPRIATE sarcasm of exaggeration is sometimes used in Scripture to illustrate a bigger point - which is what I was doing.
Cool...I’m just not in the * state of mind when discussing what to me is serious...and granted maybe it’s only me that takes this serious.

You’re not the one’s being deemed whatever for certain beliefs, are you? You’re in the “club” and I’m not, so to speak.
Bav,

Philip is a heretic, but he has learned to live with that. He's really not too bright either*.

*Let's please keep that between us. If Philip hears this he might have to crawl to his safe space.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Bav: "Cool...I’m just not in the * state of mind when discussing what to me is serious...and granted maybe it’s only me that takes this serious."
Bav: "You’re not the one’s being deemed whatever for certain beliefs, are you? You’re in the “club” and I’m not, so to speak."
Bav, you need to chill out a bit - people here attacked one of your sacred cows about the Sabbath - but they didn't attack YOU! Well, someone "might" have used needless sarcasm wielded in they usual way he sometimes does (hey, but he's working on it - being funny, that is). But most posters here take Scripture and God's Word exceptionally seriously. You will find no one here who takes as many stands for Scripture's accuracy, trustworthiness, inspiration, and importance as I do. And if you're around here awhile, you'll see the mods disagree on quite a few things - there is no monolithic "club" here - except that we (the mods) are all in on the importance and inspiration of the Bible, and that Jesus is the God we worship. But if you act like you're a target, and interpret every point of disagreement as such, you'll constantly feel that way - but you're not, so don't.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Philip wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm
Bav: "Cool...I’m just not in the * state of mind when discussing what to me is serious...and granted maybe it’s only me that takes this serious."
Bav: "You’re not the one’s being deemed whatever for certain beliefs, are you? You’re in the “club” and I’m not, so to speak."
Bav, you need to chill out a bit - people here attacked one of your sacred cows about the Sabbath - but they didn't attack YOU! Well, someone "might" have used needless sarcasm wielded in they usual way he sometimes does (hey, but he's working on it - being funny, that is). But most posters here take Scripture and God's Word exceptionally seriously. You will find no one here who takes as many stands for Scripture's accuracy, trustworthiness, inspiration, and importance as I do. And if you're around here awhile, you'll see the mods disagree on quite a few things - there is no monolithic "club" here - except that we (the mods) are all in on the importance and inspiration of the Bible, and that Jesus is the God we worship. But if you act like you're a target, and interpret every point of disagreement as such, you'll constantly feel that way - but you're not, so don't.
The "club" I was speaking about was not the moderators club, but rather the "club" of those that look upon the Sabbath as "done away with", "no longer necessary"...and therefore Adventists as Judaizers...( that's not to rehash anything as of late...just making a point of the general thinking that most Christians at large have against SDAs of promoting legalism )

I get your point.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:36 pm
BavarianWheels wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Bav,

Philip is a heretic, but he has learned to live with that. He's really not too bright either*.
This reminds me of something I said about you Rick, and shared with you. That is, sarcasm being a tool to cover up not being too bright. :P If I recall, you temporarily missed my sarcasm and seemed a little hurt even. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)