Was Jesus Resurrection actually on a Sunday?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Was Jesus Resurrection actually on a Sunday?

Post by mrtzur2015 »

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Was Jesus Resurrection actually on a Sunday?

Post by Kurieuo »

Please don't just post links, or they will be removed.
General Spamming
Spamming will not be accepted. By "spamming" we mean links advertising commercial or inappropriate websites, posts only containing links, and/or posts containing massive amounts of text uninspiring to discussions. Such posts will be moved into the "Garbage Bin" or deleted by a moderator at their discretion. (Discussions Guidelines)
Write your own comments and talk about the topics/issues within.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Short answer... Yes,

Longer answer...
All four Gospels are in agreement regarding when Mary Magdalene and the other women went to the tomb on the first day of the week (ie Sunday morning).
Matthew 28:1 - after the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week...
Mark 16:2 - Very early on the first day of the week...
Luke 24:1 - On the first day of the week, very early in the morning...
John 20:1 - On the first day of the week, while it was still dark...

Looking at all four texts we can see that the women started travelling to the tomb: after the Sabbath, on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, at dawn, while it was still dark (ie the sun hadn't fully risen yet).

The sequence of events in Matthew 28:1-4 indicates that while the women were travelling to the tomb, there was an earthquake (associated with the actual resurrection of Jesus?) and an angel rolled the stone back from Jesus' tomb.
By the time the women arrived at the tomb they saw that the stone had already been rolled away and the angels were still there at the tomb to give women the good news "He is not here; he has risen, just as he said."
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

So I guess the issue isn't whether He was resurrected on Sunday BUT when he died.
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

What people don’t understand is that there are 7 Holy shabbaths throughout the year one of them is Passover. According to date software we can see it was a weekday when he was crucifed which was a high shabath (Passover) and then Friday she went get the spices ( before Friday shabath ) and Jesus was resurrected Saturday eve and because god sees a day from sunrise to sundown it couldn’t of been Sunday resurrection as the Bible tells us marry went early before the sunrise and the tomb was already empty she saw the angel and he told her Jesus is not here he was resurrected like he promised ( was therefore past ) a God that sanctified the shabath wouldn’t resurrect on a Sunday ( sun - day duh) .

But yeah y’all can keep believing deception.
Oh and FYI for Christmas followers it his birth wasn’t on the 25 of December but somewhere around September ( Jewish new year - rosh ashana)
Believers who actually follow Gods timeline and calendar and not men made one would know this. ( says about us believers )
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Why is this even an issue? He rose from the dead, Saturday or Sunday or Monday. He rose up is what’s important.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

mrtzur2015 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:00 am it couldn’t of been Sunday resurrection as the Bible tells us marry went early before the sunrise
You are misstating what the Scriptural text says...
John 20:1 explicitly says that Mary went to the tomb on the first day of the week (ie Sunday) (just like all three of the other Gospels say).
The text does not say that Mary went to the tomb before sunrise. The text says that it was still dark outside when she went to the tomb which is consistent with "after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn" from Matthew 28:1.
I think we all have experienced that it is still dark outside during early dawn.

So all four of the Gospels establish that Mary (and the other women) went to the tomb on the first first day of the week, after the Sabbath, early in the morning, as it began to dawn.
I'm afraid that I'm not the one believing deception in this case...
I'm believing what all four of the Gospels explicitly and unambiguously state.
Oh and FYI for Christmas followers it his birth wasn’t on the 25 of December
I actually think you are probably correct with this assertion, but I'm not convinced that your assertion about September is correct.
But I don't have a dogmatic position regarding the precise date of Jesus' birth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 am Why is this even an issue? He rose from the dead, Saturday or Sunday or Monday. He rose up is what’s important.
Unless scripture isn't inerrant.
:poke:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If we take the scripture ONLY and only what is explicitly stated then the one thing we do know is that Mary and the others went on the first day of the week ( Sunday), period.
That is not contestable.
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

DBowling wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:29 am
mrtzur2015 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:00 am it couldn’t of been Sunday resurrection as the Bible tells us marry went early before the sunrise
You are misstating what the Scriptural text says...
John 20:1 explicitly says that Mary went to the tomb on the first day of the week (ie Sunday) (just like all three of the other Gospels say).
The text does not say that Mary went to the tomb before sunrise. The text says that it was still dark outside when she went to the tomb which is consistent with "after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn" from Matthew 28:1.
I think we all have experienced that it is still dark outside during early dawn.

So all four of the Gospels establish that Mary (and the other women) went to the tomb on the first first day of the week, after the Sabbath, early in the morning, as it began to dawn.
I'm afraid that I'm not the one believing deception in this case...
I'm believing what all four of the Gospels explicitly and unambiguously state.
Oh and FYI for Christmas followers it his birth wasn’t on the 25 of December
I actually think you are probably correct with this assertion, but I'm not convinced that your assertion about September is correct.
But I don't have a dogmatic position regarding the precise date of Jesus' birth.
It was early morning while it was still dark therefore before sunrise.
Sunrise to downtown is one day. God does not look at days the way we do (24 hour day)

Friday to Sunday is not even 3 days and nights.

Also neo has asked why it’s importsnt .
I’m sure the great news is that he is risen.
However if one really want to be close with God and know him don’t you think it would matter?
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am If we take the scripture ONLY and only what is explicitly stated then the one thing we do know is that Mary and the others went on the first day of the week ( Sunday), period.
That is not contestable.
You are missing what the scriptures say. For one to understand what is said you need to know about the 7 High sabbaths throughout the year and hat it’s actuslly possible that one of them falls on a weekday therefore 2 shabbaths on the same week.

Also second thing we are missing as I stated above God does not do days the way we do them we see this is creation “there was morning.. there was evening .. one day.”
Therefore the fact they went Sunday EARLY BEFORE SUNDAYHAS BEGAN AND THE GAVE WAS EMPTY.

Forth, we are missing a huge point made by Jesus himself.
Matthew 12:40 King James Version (KJV)

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

mrtzur2915 wrote:
Sunrise to downtown is one day. God does not look at days the way we do
I guess I don't look at days anywhere near the same way God does then.

I've never heard that sunrise to downtown is one day.

Btw, I think in ancient, biblical times, sunset to sunset was a day(the sabbath, for example). Or, a finite, and long period of time, was also a day(as it was in Noah's day).
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am If we take the scripture ONLY and only what is explicitly stated then the one thing we do know is that Mary and the others went on the first day of the week ( Sunday), period.
That is not contestable.
Was it even called "Sunday" back then?

-Edward R Murrow

mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

RickD wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 am
That is not contestable.
Was it even called "Sunday" back then?
I think they used the proper names for the weekdays like they do in Hebrew
Yom rishon - first day.
I think it’d off the point though
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member

Post by mrtzur2015 »

RickD wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 am
mrtzur2915 wrote:
Sunrise to downtown is one day. God does not look at days the way we do
I guess I don't look at days anywhere near the same way God does then.

I've never heard that sunrise to downtown is one day.

Btw, I think in ancient, biblical times, sunset to sunset was a day(the sabbath, for example). Or, a finite, and long period of time, was also a day(as it was in Noah's day).
Really Ricardo?
Genesis 1:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.