Yeah, Mr. Hawking passed away, and...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Yeah, Mr. Hawking passed away, and...

Post by RickD »

Blessed,

I guess our best hope is that someone, maybe one of Hawking's wives, planted a seed that started to grow.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

I just find it weird to see Christians ignoring the Gospel to pretend he's in heaven when he died an Atheist.

Having Christian wives, he was in a position to know better. His pride was his downfall.
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote:Blessed,

I guess our best hope is that someone, maybe one of Hawking's wives, planted a seed that started to grow.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 076db67c68

Extremely doubtful he changed his views last minute, but nice thought experiment?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote:
RickD wrote:Blessed,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 076db67c68

Extremely doubtful he changed his views last minute, but nice thought experiment?
If you noticed in that link, the latest quote from hawking was 2014.

I'd rather hope he sensed his own mortality and came to Christ, than just resigning to the fact that since he was a lifelong atheist, there was no hope.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

If Stevo died unbelieving - it's because he didn't WANT to believe - not because he couldn't or that there isn't sufficient evidence to have him reasonably desire to begin exploring for and seeking God.
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by MBPrata »

Do you bekieve physical laws were always here?
"Psysical laws"? You mean laws as a thing or THE laws of physics?
Either way, I'm not quite sure of my beliefs on who or what has always "been here", but...I for the most part believe that laws are the ultimate, ultimate thing that existed in the, ahem, beginning was laws/rules. In my conception, God Himself, if He exists, is also subject to rules (e.g. He can't kill Himself. Not killing in the human sense, but as in...you know, ceasing to be real...). Someone once told me he/she believed God was not bounded by rules since He is also rules. That kind of makes it work, but still, I don't know...I still feel like laws/rules are simpler than a god, so I believe more easily in rules as the ultimate...thing? rather than God.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Occam's razor is the answer to everything; it isn't. But it's quite reasonable for a razor... :mrgreen:
And among contradictory reasonigs - is there also reasoning that universe was created by God?
If yes, why is it contradictory?
I'm 99% sure there is, yes. Namely, when we start talking/typing about such complex matters, language starts to feel to scarce. I mean, language itself is already a limited tool, and it only gets more limited when it's used for matters like these. I've never read an article talking about the something-instead-of-nothing issue that didn't get too confusing to even be understood or that couldn't be deemed contradictory if one analyzed all its words or sentences. Not here, not on atheist websites, not anywhere (until now, at least).

And, yes, Mr. Hawking died as an atheist. He claimed he was one more than once, as far as I've read. I suppose he just didn't make a fuzz about it, unlike his colleague Mr. Dawkins...XP

PS: Oh, dear, this forums seem to be receiving posts even faster than I can come here! This was soooooooooooooooooo much easier when I was unemployed... :P
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

claysmithr wrote:I just find it weird to see Christians ignoring the Gospel to pretend he's in heaven when he died an Atheist.

Having Christian wives, he was in a position to know better. His pride was his downfall.
Let's be careful with judgment as to what happens to his spirit.

The bible tells us that non-believers will be judged at the resurrection and states that on our death, our spirit returns to God.
These are explicit statements.
From that we can surmise that:
His spirit is with God awaiting the resurrection and that, if he was not a believer, He will be judged at the resurrection.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

It's always possible he had last second repentance-as unlikely as it is- and is saved now.
That goes for nearly anyone too.
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm It's always possible he had last second repentance-as unlikely as it is- and is saved now.
I hope so, I feel really sad when an Atheist dies...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

claysmithr wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm It's always possible he had last second repentance-as unlikely as it is- and is saved now.
I hope so, I feel really sad when an Atheist dies...
Don't be, at the resurrection, as John 5 tells us, believers will be resurrected to eternal life and all others to judgment.
If they are so confident in their views then they will reap what they sow, good OR bad.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

TheKid: "I hope so, I feel really sad when an Atheist dies..."

Sad, we should be - God takes no joy in it either. But we should also be glad that they won't be in Heaven AS THEY WERE in there own militant, eternally rebelliousness against God and His love. Because if rebellious people unchanged in heart and Spirit by and toward the Lord were allowed into Heaven, and God were to tolerate them there - then it would only be a matter of time before much the horrible actions and beliefs of this earth would also infect Heaven. And so what Christian would want that? What Christian would want people in Heaven who want absolutely nothing to do with God and aren't respectful of how He wants us to live and love each other? And it is only because God will strip away the stench of our sinfulness, cleansing us perfectly through the Cross and Jesus' sacrifice, that Christians will be there. It's just that we don't see the level of depravity of a person who would knowingly reject the love of Christ. Many may not know the details of Jesus, but they most certainly and deliberately refuse to seek or accept Him. And THOSE are exceptionally evil things - it's just that we as mortals can't always see this in people.
sophiewilson0191
Newbie Member

Post by sophiewilson0191 »

Rest in Peace space man.
He contribute a huge information, data and finding in science.
Stephen Hawking And Physics: Putting His Theories Into Practice
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Welcome to the forum sophie.
Let me encouradge you to introduce yourself little bit viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5 :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

@MBPrata
this is my first post, I joined the forums because I wanted to give you my opinion and views
God created the universe , so he could create us he didnt have to create us.. he wanted to. why? for his pleasure.
God owns us nothing.. in fact we are the ones that owe him as our creator. this is why thinking about the "risk" involved for creating a universe that basically could be "proved" to be created without a creator is not a risk at all, for him its a test, those who seek me, those who will be smart enough to know this world hasn't came from nothing will be rewarded, those who don't will be punished (because he also helps us find this truth and he planted this idea in us).

in my belief science cannot prove the universe to be created out of nothing, everything is assumptions
no one knows how the laws of physics came to be they just assume they always were... no one knows the answer to the question what came first the egg or the chicken? to me this means a creator..

i have seen a scientist (cant remember name) that preached "universe out of nothing"
in his preaching he assumed that Gravity was always existing.. so I mean its either out of nothing or out of gravity that someone has invented.

also the theory of evolution is lacking, yes, there are different between species but nothing major, we didn't see a giraffe that became an elephant (would be absurd) some would say because it takes billions of years, and yes earth has been here for this long so we should of seen something like that already, bacteria reproduces so fast that you would surely see something like that already.

the world we live in has order, this could of never been created by randomness, it just don't make sense
i think the creation speaks for itself, and everyone who denies it is just blinded.
you say you debate because you are curious why debate with people then? if you are really hungry for truth ask him.
Jesus said knock and it shall be opened for you, seek and you shall find.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

mrtzur2015 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm @MBPrata
this is my first post, I joined the forums because I wanted to give you my opinion and views
God created the universe , so he could create us he didnt have to create us.. he wanted to. why? for his pleasure.
God owns us nothing.. in fact we are the ones that owe him as our creator. this is why thinking about the "risk" involved for creating a universe that basically could be "proved" to be created without a creator is not a risk at all, for him its a test, those who seek me, those who will be smart enough to know this world hasn't came from nothing will be rewarded, those who don't will be punished (because he also helps us find this truth and he planted this idea in us).

in my belief science cannot prove the universe to be created out of nothing, everything is assumptions
no one knows how the laws of physics came to be they just assume they always were... no one knows the answer to the question what came first the egg or the chicken? to me this means a creator..

i have seen a scientist (cant remember name) that preached "universe out of nothing"
in his preaching he assumed that Gravity was always existing.. so I mean its either out of nothing or out of gravity that someone has invented.

also the theory of evolution is lacking, yes, there are different between species but nothing major, we didn't see a giraffe that became an elephant (would be absurd) some would say because it takes billions of years, and yes earth has been here for this long so we should of seen something like that already, bacteria reproduces so fast that you would surely see something like that already.

the world we live in has order, this could of never been created by randomness, it just don't make sense
i think the creation speaks for itself, and everyone who denies it is just blinded.
you say you debate because you are curious why debate with people then? if you are really hungry for truth ask him.
Jesus said knock and it shall be opened for you, seek and you shall find.
This is at best an uneducated opinion on the matter of evolution. And the biggest GOG I have seen in a long time.
If you want to understand science, read a science paper. If you need salvation, read the bible.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com