Recognising design

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Recognising design

Post by Fortigurn »

This is directed towards our non-Christians.

Is it possible to determine whether or not a entity is the product of design? If so, how?
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Recognising design

Post by sandy_mcd »

Fortigurn wrote:Is it possible to determine whether or not a entity is the product of design?
That is too vague of a question for anyone to answer. Do you mean:
1) Is it true that for every entity, it is possible to determine whether it was designed ?
2) Is it true that for some entities, is it possible to determine whether they were designed ?
3) Is the definition of designer limited to man or can it be any designer at any level ?
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Is it true for any entity, it is possible to determine whether it was designed?

If so, how?
Is the definition of designer limited to man or can it be any designer at any level?
Any level. We're talking about the concept of design here, not the identity of the designer.
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by numeral2_5 »

It is not possible to determine whether or not the universe were designed. You can however be very very certain that some things were designed.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
-Abe Lincoln
Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

No, you cannot determine that an entity is a product of design. However, where the uncertainty lies is in the definitions and disparities between coincidences and evidence. Meaning, for instance, if multiple diverse systems and organisms in the world contain the ratio phi, is that just coincidence or evidence for design? I do not think that question can be answered currently, but that is something we will all probably argue and dispute for quite some time.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

numeral2_5 wrote:You can however be very very certain that some things were designed.
How?
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Cougar wrote:No, you cannot determine that an entity is a product of design.
You just killed off the SETI project. I suggest you email them and let them know they've been wasting their time and our money.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Fortigurn wrote:
Cougar wrote:No, you cannot determine that an entity is a product of design.
You just killed off the SETI project. I suggest you email them and let them know they've been wasting their time and our money.
Well, they've wasted time and money for many other reasons as well...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

I know you were asking for opinions of non-Christians, but I gotta jump in here with my own questions.

Is it possible to determine that organisms have adapted to their environment?

How would an organism differ if it adapted to an environment vs. designed for that environment?
Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

I don't think scientists in the SETI project are looking to prove design.

"The mission of the SETI Institute is to explore, understand and explain the origin, nature and prevalence of life in the universe."

I don't see anywhere in there it says they have to attribute their findings to design. There are other ways of exploring the nature of the universe and possible life in the universe without attributing it to design. Prevalence of certain chemicals, molecules, and red or blue shifting is very helpful in the exploration of possible life elsewhere.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Fortigurn wrote:
numeral2_5 wrote:You can however be very very certain that some things were designed.
How?
Consider the old fashioned pocket watch:
1) Trivially, without seeing or examining one, because it is part of the definition or essence of pocket watches that they are designed.

2) In general, because we are familiar with materials found in the natural world, we are familiar with the products which humans design, and we are familiar with the reasons people would design and use a pocket watch. Most metals do not usually occur in un-oxidized forms, steel is not a naturally occurring alloy, metal compounds do not naturally appear in the ornate designs found on the cover of watches, we recognize the numerals (except perhaps some of the Roman ones), we know that the numeral organization corresponds to our artificial constructs of hours and seconds, we like to keep track of time, etc. Basically because we are familiar with the context of watches.
Therefore it is extremely certain that a pocket watch was designed.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Jbuza wrote:I know you were asking for opinions of non-Christians
I agree ! That is precisely the prejudiced, biased, separationist attitude which should not be tolerated here ! :twisted:
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by numeral2_5 »

sandy_mcd wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:
How?
1) Trivially, without seeing or examining one, because it is part of the definition or essence of pocket watches that they are designed.

2) In general, because we are familiar with materials found in the natural world, we are familiar with the products which humans design, and we are familiar with the reasons people would design and use a pocket watch. Most metals do not usually occur in un-oxidized forms, steel is not a naturally occurring alloy, metal compounds do not naturally appear in the ornate designs found on the cover of watches, we recognize the numerals (except perhaps some of the Roman ones), we know that the numeral organization corresponds to our artificial constructs of hours and seconds, we like to keep track of time, etc. Basically because we are familiar with the context of watches.
Thanks sandy, I left for a while and probably should have explained my response better.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
-Abe Lincoln
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Cougar wrote:I don't think scientists in the SETI project are looking to prove design.
I am not arguing that they are looking to prove design.
"The mission of the SETI Institute is to explore, understand and explain the origin, nature and prevalence of life in the universe."

I don't see anywhere in there it says they have to attribute their findings to design. There are other ways of exploring the nature of the universe and possible life in the universe without attributing it to design. Prevalence of certain chemicals, molecules, and red or blue shifting is very helpful in the exploration of possible life elsewhere.
What does 'Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence' mean to you? People are looking for radio signals which are the product of an intelligence. They do this on the assumption that they can recognise radio signals which are the product of an intelligence, when they see them.

Think about it.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

sandy_mcd wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:
How?

The key word would therefore appear to be 'arificiality'.