WAS it an angel?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: WAS it an angel?

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
God works through the natural, and logical, much more than He uses miracles. It's all part of the natural world in which we live.
And yet, the natural world is all part of a massive, ongoing miracle of sustaining the Creation. Compartmentalizing God's works, or how He might be working - while we often can't know, we shouldn't discount the possible nuances in how he might have done this or that. Of course, to balance that, unless we know or are told differently, we should see cautions about making certainties out of specific incidences. We can't know what we can't know. But we can always be open to how an unlimited God might operate - or how He might operate differently than we've ever previously known of.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. My only point, I guess, is that when we may think there's some supernatural occurrence/miracle, such as a possibility of an angel, we first need to see if it's consistent with scripture. Of course we can have a disagreement on interpreting scripture, but if it's not found in scripture at all(good angels disguised as women), then I think it's reasonable to be skeptical, at the very least.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

BTW, Rick, I would definitely agree that, BY FAR, we see God working in ways that aren't obviously immediately miraculous/supernatural - meaning, thought the world's every finetuning works per his sustaining it, it's mostly done within the everyday / natural ways He has set things to typically run. People so often desire God to supernaturally solve an issue, whereas He appears to more often want us to be obedient, honoring of Him, and about our daily tasks and making plans - as THOSE are how He more typically works in our lives.

When horrifically ill, with hope of my life diminishing, I experienced about three interconnected developments that I knew were truly miraculous - with particularly one of those done is such a way so I would not miss it. So, for a short period, I was always looking for more such experiences - and yet, these all went down with specific occurrences within a year and a half. And those were IT - all happening about 25 years ago. I've never experienced any such things ever since. I know of a long-time pastor - says he might count on one hand what he would say he'd experienced such a thing personally - a guy who has led thousands of people in ministry.

But the thing with the coach has a feeling of authenticity to some special event - it changed a lot of people. It did him - and I'd noticed he was a lot different over the years since. What exactly transpired - angel, simple miraculous use of a stranger - really, it's not something knowable. But it's a very nice story, whatever the truth of it.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Phil, may I ask what have you experienced?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Angels can be reg'lur humans that God has guided into our path or ours into theirs. It's not necessarily always a 'heavenly' angel that shows up.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote:Angels can be reg'lur humans that God has guided into our path or ours into theirs. It's not necessarily always a 'heavenly' angel that shows up.
I had a gardener once, named Angel Hernandez. He was such a blessing to my rhododendrons.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

God has teleported people before . Like Phillip and the ethiopian eunuch
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

mrtzur2015 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:44 pm God has teleported people before . Like Phillip and the ethiopian eunuch
And don't forget Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

JButler wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm
B. W. wrote:Heb 13:2...Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. NKJV

In the bible angelic beings appeared in human form so it is no surprise to me that one came in the image of an Asian nurse.

God changes not, yet christian folks like to simply remove the supernatural elements out of the bible... at all cost.
-
That is exactly what Dr. Michael Heiser states and that's why he's written a number of books, to put the supernatural back into the Bible. After all, the Bible is pretty much about supernatural and spiritual things in the Unseen Realm. Everything is supernatural and spiritual, even our radar blip physical existence is surrounded by/permeated by spiritual forces 24/7.

It baffles me why people use creeds, doctrines, theologies and philosophies masquerading as theologies. My theory is human nature doesn't understand the deepness of the Scriptures or depth/breadth of God. Because they don't understand they try to strip out anything "weird", odd, mysterious, or that just flat out does not fit their ideas. They like to have God and his message and realm to be packaged and stuffed into a little tidy box, that way they can grasp (they think) the Bible in a logical, explainable configuration. Maybe it gives them a feeling of control, I don't know. I suspect its a human pride issue.
Yes, I think you can see how human pride works...in theology it works very well...

People want to be fans of Jesus Christ and not followers!
JButler wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm Whatever the exact reason(s) people do this, the fact remains the Bible is so awesome, so deep, so wonderous, so complex yet simple, that it continually awes me. This awe is thanks to right teachers per my prayers to God to lead me to correct learning and keep away false doctrines and beliefs.
Amen to that!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

Also don’t forget peters angel when Rhoda opened told the rest how peter is standing at the gate and they thought it was his angels which tells us each of us has an angel and they look like us.

Acts 12:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 And they said unto her, Thou art mad. But she constantly affirmed that it was even so. Then said they, It is his angel.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I haven't read the first post, but no, it wasn't an angel.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Just read first post, and didn't even know you posting it Phil. I still stand by I'm probably 99.9% certain in claiming it wasn't an angel. Because .01% of the time today, that just ain't how God works. I'm 99.9% confident of that. And any, who claim otherwise, do a lot of damage to Christians, are charlatans and even self-deceived.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

And it may NOT have been an angel - but that doesn't mean it's not possibly someone God-sent. I agree that it's not what I would expect if angelic - certainly not by the gender being a woman.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:37 am And it may NOT have been an angel - but that doesn't mean it's not possibly someone God-sent. I agree that it's not what I would expect if angelic - certainly not by the gender being a woman.
I completely agree with what you're saying. God knows a woman's place is in the kitchen, and He wouldn't pull a woman out of her God-given place.

-Edward R Murrow

claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

This looks like an angel. Angel's apparently have the ability to take human bodies that are sexually compatible with women, if the stories regarding the Nephilim are true, although this angers God and he casts them into hell for it.