Embraced by the light - Betty J Eadie

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Embraced by the light - Betty J Eadie

Post by Storyteller »

I came across this book today, I would really appreciate any views on it. I have read a few criticisms of the book but personally I found a lot of truth in it. A lot resonated with me and there were quite a few things that i found I agree with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Eadie
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Embraced by the light - Betty J Eadie

Post by RickD »

Betty Eadie is a Native American, and she had a NDE.

Those are both up B. W.'s alley. Maybe he'll comment. Unless he has reservations.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Sometimes NDEs are legit, sometimes i think they are from a bad source too, tho sometimes from GOD.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Storyteller wrote:I came across this book today, I would really appreciate any views on it. I have read a few criticisms of the book but personally I found a lot of truth in it. A lot resonated with me and there were quite a few things that i found I agree with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Eadie
What do you make of the fact that she's a Mormon and she talks about every religion being necessary for everyone due to levels of enlightenment?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:Betty Eadie is a Native American, and she had a NDE.

Those are both up B. W.'s alley. Maybe he'll comment. Unless he has reservations.
I didn't know B.W. was American Indian? If he has reservations, it should be alright so long as the elders grant permission.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Annette,

Just a couple of things to think about after you read the book.

1) In what light does the story put Mormonism?

2) Does the story put the Bible underneath Mormon doctrine?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

There was plenty in the book that I don't agree with, particularly what she says about other faiths or how she plays down Christianity but in fairness she does state that the only way to God is through Christ. She claims Christ is seperate from God too.
I think what grabbed me was how she describes our spirits as being eternal and how we were all once with God. She states that we all have our own unique role in life, that everything has a purpose to Gods plan.
She says our spirit is contained in every cell of our bodies and that we have some kind of genetic memory of it, that when we meet someone that we just "click" with it is because our spirits know each other.
Her description of meeting Christ and experiencing her life review was fascinating.
I liked that she quoted Scripture in her book and she does say that the only way to God is through Christ.
As for her thoughts on other faiths, she does say that God knows what is in our hearts and we are all placed best to allow us to grow and learn. She mentions a darkness, where she alludes to perhaps certain spirits are still reaching out to find God.

There was a lot of new age kind of thinking in the book but i did like her imagery.

For me, her book was about loving God and loving others. It was about forgiveness too.

I didn't know she was a Mormon until after I read the book and don't know anything about Mormon doctrine.

I think there was a reason, a purpose, to me finding and reading that book. I think God used it to answer some of my questions, and, I got comfort from it.

There is no book in the world that I will take as gospel, other than the Bible, but I do think seeds of truth can be found elsewhere.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

People have written and teach all kinds of nonsense that sounds good, feels good, but isn't truthful - but IS mixed in with various truths. If this author is a Mormon, then you must realize that she is coming at things from a Mormon perspective, which often sounds Christ-like, but is not. I can guarantee you see believes Jesus is a created being and not God. And she says these "wonderful" things, but how does she know them - where did her understandings come from? A lot of New Age and Gnostic stuff has been blended with various bits of the Gospel. The reality is, if you attach false things to things that are true, and that are already believed as true, the easier it will be for people to swallow the false bits. It's like the fisherman with that juicy worm hiding a hook.

To add: Just remember, if this Author has bought into Mormonism, then she is starting from a point of view in which SHE has already been deceived, and then will likely pass along her own deceptions per her Mormon perspective.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:There was plenty in the book that I don't agree with, particularly what she says about other faiths or how she plays down Christianity but in fairness she does state that the only way to God is through Christ. She claims Christ is seperate from God too.
I think what grabbed me was how she describes our spirits as being eternal and how we were all once with God. She states that we all have our own unique role in life, that everything has a purpose to Gods plan.
She says our spirit is contained in every cell of our bodies and that we have some kind of genetic memory of it, that when we meet someone that we just "click" with it is because our spirits know each other.
Her description of meeting Christ and experiencing her life review was fascinating.
I liked that she quoted Scripture in her book and she does say that the only way to God is through Christ.
As for her thoughts on other faiths, she does say that God knows what is in our hearts and we are all placed best to allow us to grow and learn. She mentions a darkness, where she alludes to perhaps certain spirits are still reaching out to find God.

There was a lot of new age kind of thinking in the book but i did like her imagery.

For me, her book was about loving God and loving others. It was about forgiveness too.

I didn't know she was a Mormon until after I read the book and don't know anything about Mormon doctrine.

I think there was a reason, a purpose, to me finding and reading that book. I think God used it to answer some of my questions, and, I got comfort from it.

There is no book in the world that I will take as gospel, other than the Bible, but I do think seeds of truth can be found elsewhere.
It sounds like you are using discernment, which is good.

Just be cautious of false religions, and those promoting them, that use bits of truth to grab your attention. It's when we begin to dig deeper, that we really start to see some serious issues.

In general, Mormonism has a bad reputation. It's been looked at as a fruitcake religion. Maybe because of that, Mormonism has been promoting itself almost as just another Christian denomination. In their tv ads, they have been making a point to mention Christ a lot. I believe this is to draw in Christians.

Once one looks deeper into who the Mormon christ really is, or should I say isn't, then one gets to why Mormonism is a false religion, which promotes a false Christ, and a false gospel.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: Once one looks deeper into who the Mormon christ really is, or should I say isn't, then one gets to why Mormonism is a false religion, which promotes a false Christ, and a false gospel.
IF this woman believes the false Mormon beliefs about Jesus, then she is NOT a Christian. While there might be some Mormons who don't understand their church's teachings about Christ, but that DO believe in what the Bible says about Him, that are saved. But I think such people are likely quite rare.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

She did say in the book that it was "revealed" to her that Christ was created.
I think what intruiges me about stories like hers is that it was documented that she had died, what she experienced was real, to her, at least.

For everything she said, she did at least maintain that the only way to God is through Christ.

I think that each of our walks with Christ is as unique as we are. My heart belongs to God and I think he draws me closer in ways he knows I will respond to.
Anything like this that I read now, I read with the HS guiding me. Truth can be found in many places. Truth resides in me, i know it, because I have put my faith in Christ. i have the sheild of truth and sword of righteouness protecting me.

Words move me, I can read something and have an epiphany. I trust in my Lord, my God, my Father.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

God talks to me, and reaches me, in a language I understand.
Its no good explaining something to a french person in english if they dont know any english. God knows I understand and respond to words.
I trust in him.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
That is consistent with the false christ of Mormonism.

Any guesses who revealed that to her?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
That is consistent with the false christ of Mormonism.

Any guesses who revealed that to her?
Exactly!

And so we must measure our experience-oriented perceptions and the feelings they bring through the lens of Scripture. We so love to hear things that make us feel good, or that match up with our desires. So you have a lot of people out there seeking the truth via experience and feelings - a terrible and often-dangerous way of pursuing it.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

From my research NDE's are evidence for an afterlife but do not necessarily prove which God is the true God nor do they always line up with scripture,or what the person explains can be wrong or their own beliefs can be wrong.It is important to differentiate between what they describe about their NDE and their own personal beliefs.It can be determined which is the true God by religious debate though.NDE's are important because they are evidence for life after death but they must also be understood to be used properly for evidence.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.