Catholic error in the Middle Ages

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Catholic error in the Middle Ages

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Some people say that Catholics are not Christians since many of their teachings are/were different from that of the first/second/third century church. This is especially was true in the Middle Ages, after all that's why the Protestant Movement started. But many also state Catholics can be Christians, there are some that don't agree with all the doctrine in that Church for instance. What do you think? Was/is Catholicism aberrant Christianity, or not?*

*I know that Catholicism relies a lot on works, with ideas such as mortal sin and purgatory following from this idea. The early Church believed in faith alone will save, but works is needed and will be a result of the Spirit's working in someone . I can't recall right now so I'll ask, do Catholics hold by this, and so can get around legalism?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Catholic error in the Middle Ages

Post by PaulSacramento »

A Christian is one that believes in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, as the ONE path to salvation. That Jesus lived, died and was resurrected and will come again. That salvation is ONLY in HIM and that He is the ONLY mediator for us.
If catholic's believe this, they are Christians.
To be honest, I have NEVER heard anyone accuse Catholics of NOT being Christians.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Catholics believe that Priests can forgive their sins. YOU need to pray to God and ask for forgiveness in Jesus name.
Some Catholics pray to Mary and the saints. Mary does not hear your prayers, she is dead.
The RCC teaches that you need the RCC as a mediator between God and man. Which is total crapola.

There's many more things that are simply man-made rules made up by Pope's on a whim during each Pope's reign. For instance in 1229 is was ruled that laypeople are not allowed to read the Bible!!
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

:cry: :shakehead: :pound:

Yes, that's a reflection of how I felt.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Stu: Catholics believe that Priests can forgive their sins.
Many, but not ALL Catholics believe this.
Stu: YOU need to pray to God and ask for forgiveness in Jesus name.
We do need to ask God for forgiveness. Constantly so. But ALL Christians, positionally, are ALREADY forgiven of all past, present and future sins - even ones we are unaware of. So, it's not like one dies suddenly, and didn't get a chance to say that last prayer of repentance of some sin.
Some Catholics pray to Mary and the saints.
Some certainly do - actually, many of them do. The practice is unBiblical, without any NT examples of it. But it is also unnecessary, as God hears ALL prayers, and Jesus is our Great High Priest. The other thing this does is that it often takes the focus off of God, as it focuses upon saints now in Heaven. That also can take away from relationship with God. It is understandable how this occurs - not only due to Catholic teaching that can encourage it, but also because these saints were humans, and so people can sometimes more readily identify with another human who is a supposed intercessor - that somehow makes our beseeching more effective. Also, what people fail to realize is that pray is far more learning to align our wills and wishes with those of God. And do people not realize that God has ALWAYS known what ALL of their prayers would be - all they will ever pray in their entire life? Do they not also realize that God also has ALWAYS known of their circumstances before they pray, of which prayers and how He will or will not answer them? God is not deficient in which He needs some intermediary to hear the prayers of those who beseech Him. He needs no middle man or woman, "dead" or alive.
Stu: Mary does not hear your prayers, she is dead.
That is not a certainty. Those Christians who die are instantly in the presence of the Lord (Apostle Paul). They are alive and know what is going on THERE, to whatever extent. What they know about us here is undertermined. At the least, they know which of their loved ones are not yet there, many of whom are Christians, many not. If prayer is a dialogue with God, why would people in Heaven cease such a dialogue? Would they not pray for those still here? Why not? HOWEVER, that is a very different thing than asserting A) that the saints in Heaven definitely hear our prays on earth, or B) that we are to direct any prayers to anyone other than the very one who has the power to answer them: GOD!!!
Stu: The RCC teaches that you need the RCC as a mediator between God and man. Which is total crapola.
I would say, at the very least, the RCC encourages it with man-made doctrine that is not found in the canon completed by the end of the first century. Catholics would deny that doctrine stopped there, as they believe that some office of Pope exists - it does not. Note also that miracles ceased with the Apostles. Ever know of Popes doing certified miracles??? Like the apostles did???!!!
Stu: There's many more things that are simply man-made rules made up by Pope's on a whim during each Pope's reign. For instance in 1229 is was ruled that laypeople are not allowed to read the Bible!!
At one time or another, they've all created new doctrines that contradict Scripture. They often done and ruled in despicable ways - and did so as official pronouncement of office. But don't believe me, delve in to the records of history.

But as for one's salvation, of course many Catholics are Christians, just as many Protestants are not (but THINK they are).
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

Dean Braxton makes it very clear there were only two persons receiving praise and glory in Heaven, the Father and the Son. NOBODY else!!

He did see the Mary mother of Jesus doing something with the Living Water but did not "speak" to her.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.