Silent Prayer - is it wrong?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

Silent Prayer - is it wrong?

Post by Ark~Magic »

Is it wrong to pray silently? And what does the bible say about it?
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

silent prayer is not wrong.
Praying in secret means silent to me.

Jesus spoke of how one should pray, but I do not have time to find the scripture at this time. (child pushing me off pc) now rude lol
will find and post it later.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

No, it is not at all wrong to pray silently. Why should it be? Doesn't our Heavenly Father know all our thoughts and what we will say even before we have said them, silently or aloud?
Sometimes it is necessary that we pray silently, or it is more discreet to do so. Nothing need stop you talking with Him, and doing so privately when that is best may require that you do so silently as well.

These may be the verses that Deborah was thinking of...

Matthew 6:5-15
Prayer:
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.[a]' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
OScoder
Newbie Member

Post by OScoder »

Jesus prayed silently as well! I can't remember the exact verses, but there are places in the gospels where it says 'and Jesus went alone to pray' - or something along those lines.