A new body every five years.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

A new body every five years.

Post by Silvertusk »

I read in this book, "101 reasons to Believe" that the atoms in the human body replace themselves every 5 years. In essence the total sum of our body is not the same physical person that we are five years ago. Now if this i indeed true, how do we still retain memory of who we are? Are we indeed more than the sum of our parts?

Has anyone else heard anything else about this?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: A new body every five years.

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Silvertusk wrote:I read in this book, "101 reasons to Believe" that the atoms in the human body replace themselves every 5 years. In essence the total sum of our body is not the same physical person that we are five years ago. Now if this i indeed true, how do we still retain memory of who we are? Are we indeed more than the sum of our parts?

This may be a slight exageration or an urban legend, but suppose it is true.

Does this apply only to human beings?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

I had heard seven years and assumed it was true but didn't really care much as it seems unimportant. The number would have to be an average; bone, cartilage, and other parts must exchange more slowly than muscle, skin, and hair. I hope it wasn't one of the higher items on the list. It would be more or less true for other living organisms as well; large trees obviously would exchange more slowly on average.
Here is one mention from the web.

[quote="http://www.ciam.unibo.it/photochem/body_intro.html"]These kind of processes is very common in fact everything inside our bodies keeps on regenerating, using materials and energy coming from the environment around us. Our skin renews every month, our liver every six weeks, every year 98% or our body renews itself completely. We could assert that in between everything we know our body is the most recycled device in the world, even our memories, that are particular structures of our brain, are constantly taken to pieces and rebuilt in this exchange of atoms and molecules.[\quote]
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

sandy_mcd wrote:I had heard seven years and assumed it was true but didn't really care much as it seems unimportant. The number would have to be an average; bone, cartilage, and other parts must exchange more slowly than muscle, skin, and hair. I hope it wasn't one of the higher items on the list. It would be more or less true for other living organisms as well; large trees obviously would exchange more slowly on average.
Here is one mention from the web.
http://www.ciam.unibo.it/photochem/body_intro.html wrote:These kind of processes is very common in fact everything inside our bodies keeps on regenerating, using materials and energy coming from the environment around us. Our skin renews every month, our liver every six weeks, every year 98% or our body renews itself completely. We could assert that in between everything we know our body is the most recycled device in the world, even our memories, that are particular structures of our brain, are constantly taken to pieces and rebuilt in this exchange of atoms and molecules.[\quote]
Well that is pretty much it - much atoms and molecules alone do not contain our memories and who we are. They are just materials, building blocks of our body. Where is the memory in all this? Where is the essence of self?
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Life is at the interface between object and process.

The ideas in our minds of atoms and molecules are cultural constructs that arise from conscious life, and not vice versa.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Blob wrote:Life is at the interface between object and process.

The ideas in our minds of atoms and molecules are cultural constructs that arise from conscious life, and not vice versa.
So, your statement is the result of the culture you live in, or are you saying you are transcending your culture?

Why should we take this statement as truth?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Blob wrote:Life is at the interface between object and process.

So, your statement is the result of the culture you live in, or are you saying you are transcending your culture?
The former.
You shouldn't. Question everything.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Blob wrote:
Life is at the interface between object and process.

The former.
So why should we accept it as truth then? Why should we believe that your statement applies to everyone then?

You've undone yourself-now you're saying it's relative again, and that your statement isn't truth anyway!

Quote:
You can't.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Silvertusk wrote:I read in this book, "101 reasons to Believe" that the atoms in the human body replace themselves every 5 years. In essence the total sum of our body is not the same physical person that we are five years ago. Now if this i indeed true, how do we still retain memory of who we are? Are we indeed more than the sum of our parts?

Yes it's 7, every 7 years our bones have regenerated, (grow from inside to outside, like your skin)
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Fisherman
Recognized Member

Post by Fisherman »

New body every five years? That's cool! Where do I pick my new one up? I'm owed a little over nine of them. ;)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Fisherman wrote:New body every five years? That's cool! Where do I pick my new one up? I'm owed a little over nine of them. ;)
lol. I like it. Thanks. I expect only two new bodies ever.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

I would love to know how we store our memories, and how our sense of self is preserved throughout this process.

Or perhaps it isn't. Perhaps this is part of the process by which our memories and characters change over the years.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:So why should we accept it as truth then? Why should we believe that your statement applies to everyone then?

You've undone yourself-now you're saying it's relative again, and that your statement isn't truth anyway!
It was an invitation to be reflective, not a dogmatic statement.
Quote:

You can't.
With a little imagination you can. Socrates realised this millenia ago.
- Vygotsky
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

If we should question everything, does it mean there is no truth?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Fortigurn wrote:I would love to know how we store our memories, and how our sense of self is preserved throughout this process.

Or perhaps it isn't. Perhaps this is part of the process by which our memories and characters change over the years.
Our memories are like RAM not ROM. They change and then disappear when the power is cut. A corpse has no memories.
- Vygotsky