If you only had one bible verse...

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Ottoman
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

If you only had one bible verse...

Post by Ottoman »

If you had only one bible verse to teach your children, which one would it be and why?
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: If you only had one bible verse...

Post by Katabole »

There are so many I like, I don't think I could do justice by quoting one only.

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

The Jews sought light. The Greeks knowledge. The Romans glory. Light, knowledge and glory can all be found in the person of Jesus Christ.

Zephaniah 3:8 Therefore wait you upon me, says the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy.

That is the only verse in the Old Testament which contains every letter of Hebrew alphabet. Justice for believers. Wrath for non-believers. All in God's good time.

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he reveals his secret unto his servants the prophets.

The Bible does not tell us everything we want to know. But it does tell us everything we need to know. If you want to know what you need to know, consult the prophets.

And, "It is written. Haven't you read?" The second most repeated phrase by Jesus in the New Testament, said a total of 35 times. "Truly, truly I tell you" and "I tell you the truth", are the most repeated phrases.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

My signature. Because it is too good. :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

John 3:16. That's the gospel in a nutshell.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

My favorite verse is in my signature however I like so many more.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

I teach my children this verse and the underlying principle more so than any other verse in the bible because well I really care about the caliber of person they grow to be.
I also teach them about faith and hope but without love, the type of love that is unconditional, that extends to all, that is rooted in dignity and worth with extends across race, religion and circumstance then they may have an object of faith in Jesus but not a heart that truly reflects His greatest commandment which is to love.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Ottoman that's like picking a favorite child, or a favorite movie
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

I teach my children this verse and the underlying principle more so than any other verse in the bible because well I really care about the caliber of person they grow to be.
I also teach them about faith and hope but without love, the type of love that is unconditional, that extends to all, that is rooted in dignity and worth with extends across race, religion and circumstance then they may have an object of faith in Jesus but not a heart that truly reflects His greatest commandment which is to love.
But which verse? You can only pick one. Luke 6:31 or Matthew 7:12?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Deuteronomy 23:1
23 “No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

Bruce Jenner, don't get rid of your best friend!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

SoCalExile wrote:John 3:16. That's the gospel in a nutshell.
This
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

John 3:16 Would be the 'one' Bible verse -- increasing it to two would be Ephesians 2:8 & 9 -- and Then would be 1 Corinthians 15: 1-5 or so.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Although John 3:14 in the context of the reference Christ made in Numbers 21:6-9 is a more detailed summation of the Gospel.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

All kidding aside,

John 3:16, without a doubt. The simple gospel.

-Edward R Murrow

B35Patriot
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by B35Patriot »

Wait, we can only pick just one?

:esurprised:

But seriously, I would contend that John 3:16 is the most important one.
Ottoman
Familiar Member

Post by Ottoman »

IceMobster wrote:My signature. Because it is too good. :mrgreen:
Psalm 23 is beautiful.
SoCalExile wrote:John 3:16. That's the gospel in a nutshell.
Probably the same verse I would use.
melanie wrote:"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Might I ask how old your children are? Mine are 1 & 3. My three year old knows the gospel and a couple others. I have not really got into the deeper understanding with them yet, but one day I will.
Hortator wrote:Ottoman that's like picking a favorite child, or a favorite movie
Just thought i´d throw the bait out there and see what I get. Itś always interesting to see different perspectives on things.
crochet1949 wrote:John 3:16 Would be the 'one' Bible verse -- increasing it to two would be Ephesians 2:8 & 9 -- and Then would be 1 Corinthians 15: 1-5 or so.
Good choice. It reemphasizes the gospel and what it is NOT. Really important for kids (and ppl.) to understand. I sometimes think people, myself included (in the past), gloss over this verse and fail to really grasp the meaning of the verse. I read this verse so many times, even used it to evangelize, but would still look at my faith as something that I have apply works to.
B35Patriot wrote:Wait, we can only pick just one?

:esurprised:

But seriously, I would contend that John 3:16 is the most important one.
Good choice, I approve.