Deep Thought of the Day

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Deep Thought of the Day

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Thursday, June 2

How to always hit your target: shoot first, and whatever you hit, say it was your target.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Thursday, June 2

How to always hit your target: shoot first, and whatever you hit, say it was your target.
Now that's gun control. :guns:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Friday, June 3

According to Boethius (Topica 6): “[argument from] authority is the weakest kind of proof."
Last edited by Jac3510 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Then you are wise indeed, Rick. What I'm lost on is why Nessa deleted her post. :-\
She deletes posts quite a bit. Must be that whole "women have the right to change their minds" thing.
It's kinda disturbing that though I've deleted alot of posts, I still managed to rack up 2000 posts within 11months of being here :shock:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:According to Boethius (Topica 6): “[argument from] authority is the weakest kind of proof."
:pound:

I have no idea what this even means. But somehow I find the post hilarious! Is it some kind of philosophy geek joke?

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Jac3510 wrote:According to Boethius (Topica 6): “[argument from] authority is the weakest kind of proof."
That seems like a "might makes right" argument. Which is true that it is a weak form of legitimacy.

Also Boethius is now the coolest Latin name I have heard.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:

I have no idea what this even means. But somehow I find the post hilarious! Is it some kind of philosophy geek joke?
It is -- I stole it from Aquinas. It showed something of a very dry sense of humor on his part. He's appealing to the authority of Boethius to prove that arguments from authority are very weak. :)
Hortator wrote:
That seems like a "might makes right" argument. Which is true that it is a weak form of legitimacy.

Also Boethius is now the coolest Latin name I have heard.
Sort of - might makes right is a very specific subset of authority, in which you are appealing to force. The vast majority of time, that's a logical fallacy. An appeal to authority is far less likely to be a fallacy -- just very weak in terms of proof. It may be the best we have in some case, and it's better than nothing at all (and certainly better than a mere objection from incredulity), but of all arguments, it's the weakest. And we know that's true because Boethius has an awesome name and he said so! 8)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Saturday, June 4

Tell jokes to entertain yourself, not others. That way, if no one else is laughing, at least you are enjoying yourself.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Saturday, June 4

Tell jokes to entertain yourself, not others. That way, if no one else is laughing, at least you are enjoying yourself.
That's my motto.

At least I can make myself laugh.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I stole it from you. ;)

Just like I stole this thread from you. ;) ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:I stole it from you. ;)

Just like I stole this thread from you. ;) ;)
Touché.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

We can share it.