Ark encounter

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Post Reply
theophilus
Valued Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 30 times
Contact:

Ark encounter

#1

Post by theophilus » Tue May 31, 2016 6:44 am

As many of you know, the organization Answers in Genesis is building a full size replica of Noah’s ark. The ark is almost completed and is scheduled to be open to visitors on July 7. You can learn the details at https://arkencounter.com/.

Most people don’t believe a worldwide flood occurred. In his second letter Peter foretold this denial.
They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.
2 Peter 3:4-6 ESV
The flood lasted just a little over one year.
In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened.
Genesis 7:11 ESV

In the six hundred and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried from off the earth. And Noah removed the covering of the ark and looked, and behold, the face of the ground was dry. In the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, the earth had dried out.
Genesis 8:13-14 ESV
Yet during that year the rapid burial of living creatures produced most of the fossils we find today and the geography of the earth was changed. The flood ended when the continents we know now rose up out of the water.
You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
the waters stood above the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;
at the sound of your thunder they took to flight.
The mountains rose, the valleys sank down
to the place that you appointed for them.
You set a boundary that they may not pass,
so that they might not again cover the earth.
Psalm 104:6-9 ESV
Knowing whether the flood occurred is essential to accurately measuring the age of the earth. If there was no flood then it would have taken millions of years to form the vast number of fossils that we find and to shape the earth into its present condition. On the other hand, if there was a flood it is possible that the earth is only a few thousand years old, as the Bible says.

Knowing there was a flood not only shows that the earth is younger than most people believe but it also shows that God is concerned about the way we live and will judge us. The rainbow is a sign that God will never send a flood that will destroy all life on earth. The next judgment will be by fire.
By the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
2 Peter 3:7 ESV
The purpose of the ark replica is to provide proof that the story of the flood is true. Here is some more information about the ark and the flood on the Answers in Genesis website.

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?cs ... ah%27s+ark

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?cs ... ll&q=flood
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Ark encounter

#2

Post by Audie » Tue May 31, 2016 7:21 am

the more the Christians insist on such insanity, the more they discredit their faith

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21646
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Re: Ark encounter

#3

Post by RickD » Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 am

theophilus wrote:As many of you know, the organization Answers in Genesis is building a full size replica of Noah’s ark. The ark is almost completed and is scheduled to be open to visitors on July 7. You can learn the details at https://arkencounter.com/.

Most people don’t believe a worldwide flood occurred. In his second letter Peter foretold this denial.
They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.
2 Peter 3:4-6 ESV
The flood lasted just a little over one year.
In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened.
Genesis 7:11 ESV

In the six hundred and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried from off the earth. And Noah removed the covering of the ark and looked, and behold, the face of the ground was dry. In the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, the earth had dried out.
Genesis 8:13-14 ESV
Yet during that year the rapid burial of living creatures produced most of the fossils we find today and the geography of the earth was changed. The flood ended when the continents we know now rose up out of the water.
You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
the waters stood above the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;
at the sound of your thunder they took to flight.
The mountains rose, the valleys sank down
to the place that you appointed for them.
You set a boundary that they may not pass,
so that they might not again cover the earth.
Psalm 104:6-9 ESV
Knowing whether the flood occurred is essential to accurately measuring the age of the earth. If there was no flood then it would have taken millions of years to form the vast number of fossils that we find and to shape the earth into its present condition. On the other hand, if there was a flood it is possible that the earth is only a few thousand years old, as the Bible says.

Knowing there was a flood not only shows that the earth is younger than most people believe but it also shows that God is concerned about the way we live and will judge us. The rainbow is a sign that God will never send a flood that will destroy all life on earth. The next judgment will be by fire.
By the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
2 Peter 3:7 ESV
The purpose of the ark replica is to provide proof that the story of the flood is true. Here is some more information about the ark and the flood on the Answers in Genesis website.

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?cs ... ah%27s+ark

https://answersingenesis.org/search/?cs ... ll&q=flood
I guess you were about due for a false dichotomy, straw man, Answers in Genesis promoting,, young earth post.
:shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Ark encounter

#4

Post by Audie » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 am

Prease serve up the false dichot, that the suspense be relieved.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21646
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Re: Ark encounter

#5

Post by RickD » Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 am

Audie wrote:Prease serve up the false dichot, that the suspense be relieved.
That a flood means the earth is only a few thousand years old. And if there is no flood, it must be millions.

There's a third possibility. There was a flood, and it wasn't global, and the earth is billions of years old.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Ark encounter

#6

Post by Audie » Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:Prease serve up the false dichot, that the suspense be relieved.
That a flood means the earth is only a few thousand years old. And if there is no flood, it must be millions.

There's a third possibility. There was a flood, and it wasn't global, and the earth is billions of years old.
And yet more being that there have been a great many floods that
hugely impacted people, and that people think up stores to make sense of thigns.

IceMobster
Senior Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Location: Europe
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Ark encounter

#7

Post by IceMobster » Tue May 31, 2016 9:36 am

I still can not understand how can one go crazy like that. Earth being at most 10 000 years old despite ooooooooverwhelming evidence which point to the contrary?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: Ark encounter

#8

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue May 31, 2016 10:00 am

IceMobster wrote:I still can not understand how can one go crazy like that. Earth being at most 10 000 years old despite ooooooooverwhelming evidence which point to the contrary?
I think that , IF your view of the bible is tied into the interpretation that everything in the bible is suppose to be taken in a literal and concrete fashion then yes, you will do some intellectual acrobatics to make it so.
Of course the bible is NOT to be taken that way since it was NOT written that way.
BUT if you follow a biblical TRADITION that believes otherwise...well, there you have it.
It has less to do with what the bible says and MORE to do with what a tradition put forth by man says about what the bible says.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9228
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 349 times

Re: Ark encounter

#9

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue May 31, 2016 10:02 am

Historically speaking we have evidence of massive flood(s) in the mesopotamian area in the ANE.
We also have literary evidence that when writers of that time spoke of the "whole world" that they meant THEIR whole world and not, typically, the planet called Earth.

So...

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21646
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Re: Ark encounter

#10

Post by RickD » Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 am

Just a reminder, in case you all didn't know...

While this is primarily an old earth site that these forums are to, people are free to talk about, and disagree about the age of the earth.

Answers in Genesis has no discussion forums. They say it's the young earth way, and that's it. Take it or leave it. No open discussion.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Ark encounter

#11

Post by Audie » Tue May 31, 2016 12:44 pm

RickD wrote:Just a reminder, in case you all didn't know...

While this is primarily an old earth site that these forums are to, people are free to talk about, and disagree about the age of the earth.

Answers in Genesis has no discussion forums. They say it's the young earth way, and that's it. Take it or leave it. No open discussion.

dont they more less have to take an oath to intellectual dishonesty too?

hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:58 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Ark encounter

#12

Post by hughfarey » Tue May 31, 2016 1:04 pm

What enormous fun! God bless her and all who sail in her.

However, could I just raise a teeny point on behalf of the poor benighted evolutionists? Much of another thread nearby has been devoted to an attempt by a creationist to claim that evolution must be false, because no example of speciation has been demonstrated in a science lab. Speciation, we have been told, is the dividing of one of God's "kinds" not simply into variations, which can more or less interbreed, but into two different "kinds" which is, we have been told, contrary to the Book of Genesis.

And there are between 5 and 50 million species on the earth, of which the greatest proportion are beetles. The Ark currently being constructed in Kentucky could not possible house pairs of all of these, so what is Ark Encounter's solution? I quote:

"Was every species on the Ark? No. Species is a term used in the modern classification system. The Bible uses the term “kind.” The created kind was a much broader category than the modern term of classification, species. The biblical concept of created “kind” probably most closely corresponds to the family level in current taxonomy. [emphasis mine] A good rule of thumb is that if two things can breed together, then they are of the same created kind. It is a bit more complicated, but this is a good quick measure of a “kind.” There can be a tremendous amount of variation within a created kind. For example, various types of dogs, such as wolves, dingoes, coyotes, jackals, and domestic dogs, can often breed with one another. When dogs breed together, you get dogs; so there is a dog kind.The Bible states that Noah’s cargo was limited to land-dwelling animals in which was the breath of life (Genesis 7:15). This clearly excludes fish and other sea creatures, and it probably excludes the insects and other invertebrates.Recent studies estimate the total number of living and extinct kinds of land animals and flying creatures to be about 1,500. With our “worst-case” scenario approach to calculating the number of animals on the Ark, this would mean that Noah cared for approximately 7,000 animals."

This is transparent nonsense to the most cursorily educated student. Let me unpack:

- The biblical concept of created “kind” probably most closely corresponds to the family level in current taxonomy. A good rule of thumb is that if two things can breed together, then they are of the same created kind. It is a bit more complicated, but this is a good quick measure of a “kind.”
- No. Families contain widely different animals which often do not nor cannot interbreed. The "mouse" family includes voles and hamsters, for example, and the "duck" family includes swans. To decided that the 6000 species of mammals, 10000 species of birds, 10000 species of reptiles and 7500 species of amphibians, not to mention the thousands of extinct species, are reducible to 1500 interbreeding "kinds" is stretching absurdity to the limits of its sanity.

- There can be a tremendous amount of variation within a created kind. For example, various types of dogs, such as wolves, dingoes, coyotes, jackals, and domestic dogs, can often breed with one another. When dogs breed together, you get dogs; so there is a dog kind.
- Cunning, but it doesn't fool us, does it? Members of the same genus, Canis, can breed with each other, but not with other genera in the Canidae, or "dog" family. The examples above are all from the same "genus". Dogs and foxes are both in the Canidae, but they cannot breed together at all.

- The Bible states that Noah’s cargo was limited to land-dwelling animals in which was the breath of life (Genesis 7:15). This clearly excludes fish and other sea creatures, and it probably excludes the insects and other invertebrates.
- Oh dear me. So what happened to all the fresh water fish, and all the "other invertebrates" so ignorantly clumped together? What happened to the 35000 species of terrestrial snail? And the 4000000 species of beetle? Were none of these catered for in the ark? Or were there just two snails and two beetles, to act as "kinds" for all the rest?

- Recent studies estimate the total number of living and extinct kinds of land animals and flying creatures to be about 1,500.
- Recent studies by whom, I wonder? No, don't tell me; by creationists trying to reconcile the diversity of animal life, the size of Noah's Ark, and the rejection of evolution into different "kinds".

Still, I love the idea of the building the ark, although it's a pity it won't be possible to test its seaworthiness...

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21646
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 1110 times

Re: Ark encounter

#13

Post by RickD » Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 pm

Unless I missed it on the Ark Encounter link, anyone want to guess what was missing from the list of animals on the Ark?

Yep, dinosaurs. Answers in Genesis has always claimed that dinosaurs were on the ark. I wonder why they didn't specifically mention them this time?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:58 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Ark encounter

#14

Post by hughfarey » Tue May 31, 2016 3:26 pm

I think "living and extinct kinds of land animals and flying creatures" covers it. But there may only have been only two dinosaurs, because no doubt they were all one "kind", all thousands of interbreeding species of them...

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Ark encounter

#15

Post by Audie » Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm

I think nobody is going to try to defend such idiocy.

Post Reply