Anything worth going to hell for?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Anything worth going to hell for?

Post by Jac3510 »

crochet1949 wrote:Jac 3510 -- what are you trying to say through that Scripture?
That some of the well-intentioned posts early in this thread arguing that the whole thing is an impossible thought experiment and somehow theologically ruled about by logic, definition, or whatever, are mistaken. The thought experiment is real. The reason we can't go to hell for someone else isn't because of some logical or even theological necessity, but just because God has decreed it so.

Bottom line, Paul would have answered the question in the affirmative. If he could have traded his salvation for that of the Jews, he would have. That he didn't have that option is neither here nor there. That isn't to say that you or I ought to answer in the affirmative. It's just to say that Paul would have, and maybe more interestingly, the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write those words. So we should be careful in saying that it is somehow theologically accurate or even pious to say "The answer has to be no!"

I can tell you this, with all honesty: if it came to it and God appeared before me and said, "I'll take your wife and kids to heaven. Right now they're slated for hell. But I'll only do so if you take their place." Do all the theological hemming and hawing you want about how it's an absurd scenario. It is absurd, and it's absurd because God doesn't work that way. But if He decided to let it work that way (and God is free to do whatever He wanted), then yeah, I'd take that. I'd be angry about it for all of eternity and that would probably be the basis of my condemnation, but yeah. I'd absolutely say going to hell would be worth it if it meant my wife and children (or any of them, for that matter) would be saved.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Excatly.

Its about love.
For others.
Before oneself.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by crochet1949 »

Jac -- Thanks for your explanation. It sounds like you love your wife and family very much to be willing to take their place in hell especially when you know they're 'slated' to be sent there, when you'd know it would guarantee their place in heaven. Cause you'd much rather spend that time With them in heaven. But -- kicking and grumbling, you'd be willing to.
That's actually what Jesus Christ has done for us. We're All slated for hell for eternity. But He has taken care of that. He Did go to hell In Our Place -- but the Bright part Is, that He was able to come back up -- and we will be able to be in heaven with Him, too.
But, you do realize, that No one is 'slated' to go to hell. Hell is not meant for people. No people need to end up there.
swordfish7
Recognized Member
Sex: Male

Post by swordfish7 »

No! Hell is eternal and so is heaven!