Methodist Preachers

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Methodist Preachers

Post by ultimate777 »

Do people have to be able to read Greek to become preachers in the United Methodist Church? Or is it neccesary just for higher ups than preachers just starting out, or whatever.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Re: Methodist Preachers

Post by IceMobster »

I am unsure for the Methodist Church, but it is really preferred to know Greek if you are more oriented on NT and Hebrew if you are more oriented on OT. But, I mean, it all depends on what your approach to preaching is, the place where you will be doing so, the audience, you emphasizing on certain things. My point is that certain people have different approach to a certain question.
Now that I think more about it, I suppose not that much. Just when you want to get a better understanding of some text you want to preach.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

I wonder how much Greek you have to have to "jump all the hoops" to be ordained as a Methodist preacher and how much to be at least an associate minister at a big church?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I don't know however when I tried a Methodist Church years ago I thought the preaching was really good but I noticed that they eat the Lord's supper every Sunday service and many seemed like they were just doing it because everybody else was doing it and not understanding the real meaning behind it. But that was years ago and I can't say is all Methodist churches do the samething. I did like how the women in the church brought food they had fixed and after the service we would all eat and it was some awesome country cooked type food too.It was like a buffet and there was plenty for everybody.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

Having been in the Methodist Church for 30 years I'd say it all depends on the individual pastor. Our current one seems to know Greek pretty good. In talking with him and bringing up various Greek words, he knows what I'm saying and adds to them. So he knows but doesn't mention it much.

I remember the culture shock switching to Methodist. People were actually friendly and greeted you, Welcome, glad you came today. They actually sounded joyful when singing hymns! They even acted like they wanted to hang out after the service and have breakfast in the hall....fellowship time they call it.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.