Should Christians divide over the age of the earth?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Should Christians divide over the age of the earth?

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
crochet wrote:
RickD. --- ancient Israel didn't exist -- No one existed, yet. Israel came from the 12 tribes of Jacob. God renamed Jacob / Israel. The tribe of Judah. Abraham was picked from the Hebrew world and several generations later Jacob came on the scene. Abraham was saved by Faith -- just like everyone else is. The Law was given to Israel / God's chosen people. But it was given to show the need For salvation. No one could ever be 'good enough' through trying to keep every law to earn their own way to heaven.
No matter what one believes about the different creation beliefs, the story about Adam and Eve is showing that Adam was the first human in the lineage of Christ. That lineage is the same one that became Israel. The OT beginning with Genesis, is the story of the nation of Israel, and its redeemer.
SO -- the 6 days and rest 1 was given to Mankind as an example for living. After the cross - Christ's bodily resurrection from the dead was on the 1st day of the week. Sunday. That's why a lot of us worship on The Lord's Day -- Sunday. Rather than keeping the Sabbath Day holy.
It's 6 periods of time to 1 period of rest. It wasn't meant as a literal 24 hour day. Just look at the sabbath months, and sabbath years. They follow the same 6 to 1 pattern, yet aren't literally 24 hour days.
The importance Is -- do we give God the Power To do the creating exactly as He's told us in Genesis. Is His Word our authority or not. His Word tells us Lots of very important information
Of course. I'm not arguing that He didn't create exactly how He said He did in scripture. Scripture literally says that He created in 6 yoms. The text doesn't literally say He created in six 24 hour days. Your interpretation is not equal to scripture. As much as you want to think it is, it's simply not. I take scripture very seriously. So please don't tell me that I'm not reading it literally, when it comes to the creation days.
Yes, we follow Him -- and He has given us His Word / Bible.
Amen. And we all could do well if we aren't dogmatic on secondary or even tertiary issues such as creation days.

Please don't take my disagreement with your Young Earth view personally. I used to be a YEC. I used to swallow hook, line and sinker, the whole Ken Ham-YEC-way-or-no-way belief system.

I've just grown really tired when people equate their non essential creation beliefs with scripture itself.
How do you feel about people claiming that the god you and they worship is guilty of
such a horrific act as drowning all living things, save a boatload?

How did you recover from the Vice of YEC, btw?
Audie,

I don't believe God drowned all living things. Animals that weren't in the area of the local flood at Noah's time, weren't drowned.

Killing is not wrong if it's justified killing. And if God kills someone, who am I to say it wasn't justified. Of course my answer assumes first, the existence of an omnipotent God. So, I don't expect someone who doesn't believe in God to come to the same conclusion.

And as far as recovering from YEC, as you asked? For me personally, I just started studying the subject more on my own. That's when I stopped believing in YEC.

But again, YEC, OEC, TE, it really is a meaningless conversation to have with someone who doesn't acknowledge the very existence of God.
Not really. The YEC stuff is hallucinatory, regardless of what a person's reason for believing it. Astrology is similarly without any basis. If you do not believe is is valid,
does that make it a meaningless conversation if any aspect of it is discussed?

ALSO, as "god" is viewed by such as myself as a character in a semi historical novel,
his actions can be discussed in that light, as you might any other character.

The "justified killing" has the sound of Stockholm syndrome.

But then, you agree that no such mass slaughter did or could have occurred.

So, to my q which you did not actually address, what of those who claim such
such psycho-monster attributes for your God?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

You can't judge the actions of God outside the context of the OT world view.
The first premise to be established is that existence of God and what that means, only after THAT can you go on to understanding the context of the flood or theocratic warfare.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
What about it? He's omnipotent. So, I'm pretty sure He doesn't need me to defend anything He does.

And what does it matter anyways? To you, He doesn't exist. So, why care about what people say about a non existing God?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
What about it? He's omnipotent. So, I'm pretty sure He doesn't need me to defend anything He does.

And what does it matter anyways? To you, He doesn't exist. So, why care about what people say about a non existing God?

Is this a hard concept? Just wondering how it strikes you to have fellow christians portray your god as a psycho.

if "what about it" is your attitude, that's my answer.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Is this a hard concept? Just wondering how it strikes you to have fellow christians portray your god as a psycho.

I don't have a god. My God has a capital G!!!!! :twodancing:

But seriously Audie, if God killed lots of people, that doesn't make Him a psycho.

Whether or not God kills people, is certainly not a stumbling block for my faith. It may bother some, but not me.

If there were proof that Christ never rose from the dead, that would certainly be a stumbling block for me.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

But seriously Audie, if God killed lots of people, that doesn't make Him a psycho.

Whether or not God kills people, is certainly not a stumbling block for my faith. It may bother some, but not me.

If there were proof that Christ never rose from the dead, that would certainly be a stumbling block for me.
Why? There are still 2 more abrahanic religions, same god, just jump ship!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Why? There are still 2 more abrahanic religions, same god, just jump ship!
I hope you're joking about the Muslim god being the same God as the Jewish and Christian God.

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I also hope you're joking -- because the only True God there is is the One who has given mankind His Word / Bible.

John 14:6 Jesus Christ is telling us that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father but by Me." Jesus Christ being the Son of God. The 2nd person of the trinity.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Whatever
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Hmmmm -- an interesting response
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Hmmmm -- an interesting response
It matches mantra-chanting.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Okay -- what mantra- chanting are you referring to.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- what mantra- chanting are you referring to.
Second two lines in particular
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie

Was just reading your information at the right side of the posting area. You are a woman who's not a Christian and doesn't believe in creation. So the age of the earth is probably of no consequence to you.

But apparently 'we' are supposed to be concerned because some people consider the God is a psycho- murderer because He caused the global flood that caused the death of millions of people as well as animals and allows millions of babies to be aborted by people's choice? Abortion means that all those innocent babies Died because People decided they should Die.
The thing is that our sinfulness Will kill us. All those people who died in the flood had Ample warning by God's messenger that unless they repented they Would die. But if they Repented -- there was an ark waiting for them. It was Their choice -- acknowledge their sinfulness, repent of it. God Provided an escape from the flood water -- they laughed at it.
All the innocent babies' that die at the hand of People -- is sickening. People have a choice to bring a baby into this world or not. Don't have sex because that's the cause of pregnancy / it's a conscience decision of two people.

Just saw your other response --- 'second two lines in particular' -- you'll need to be more specific, please. :)
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie -- are you referring to My comment about John 14:6?