Predestined or Free Will?

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Predestined or Free Will?

Post by Kurieuo »

You've probably already heard it, but just came across it recently ok?
  • A Calvinist arrives at St. Peter’s gates and sees that there are two queues going in. One is marked “predestined,” and the other is marked “free will.” Being the card-carrying Calvinist that he is, he strolls on over to the predestined queue. After several moments an angel asks him, “Why are you in this line?” He replies, “Because I chose it.” The angel looks surprised, “Well, if you ‘chose’ it, then you should be in the free will line.” So our Calvinist, now slightly miffed, obediently wanders over to the free will line. Again, after a few minutes, another angel asks him, “Why are you in this line?” He sullenly replies, “Someone made me come here.”
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Predestined or Free Will?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I believe it is alittle of both. Just because God knows who will be saved does not mean we do not use our free-will to put our faith in him and serve him.God does not and will not make us believe in him but he knows who will when they hear the gospel.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Yes I have free will; I have no choice but to have it - Hitchens
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:You've probably already heard it, but just came across it recently ok?
  • A Calvinist arrives at St. Peter’s gates and sees that there are two queues going in. One is marked “predestined,” and the other is marked “free will.” Being the card-carrying Calvinist that he is, he strolls on over to the predestined queue. After several moments an angel asks him, “Why are you in this line?” He replies, “Because I chose it.” The angel looks surprised, “Well, if you ‘chose’ it, then you should be in the free will line.” So our Calvinist, now slightly miffed, obediently wanders over to the free will line. Again, after a few minutes, another angel asks him, “Why are you in this line?” He sullenly replies, “Someone made me come here.”
I don't get it. What's a queue?

K,

Did you steal that from "Why I Am Not A 5 Point Calvinist"– By Dr. Norman Geisler?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Did esau and jacob have total free will? Did jacob just happen to have his hand round esaus foot? Was that free will?
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:Did esau and jacob have total free will? Did jacob just happen to have his hand round jacobs foot? Was that free will?
Nessa,

This is the humor forum. No serious questions allowed! :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:Did esau and jacob have total free will? Did jacob just happen to have his hand round jacobs foot? Was that free will?
Nessa,

Oh so now Im not fluffy enough? :econfused: :P
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Nessa,

And Nessa, especially no posts with edits. Geesh. ;)
But, no, unless Esau and Jacob could fly they didn't have total free will.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There is only One whom has ever had TOTAL free will - and He's ALWAYS had it!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote:
But does God have total free will?

I'm not sure about that y:-?
He himself limits his own free will, ties his own hands to a certain extent... In order to give us free will.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

What do you call a Calvinist who has stopped taking his medication?

A Universalist!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa: I'm not sure about that y:-?
He himself limits his own free will, ties his own hands to a certain extent... In order to give us free will.
Do you see what you just did - you indicated that God HAS free will but that He limits it? He either has it or He doesn't! And just because He EXERCISES His free will in the ways that He does, does not mean that He COULDN'T do otherwise IF He wanted to. But God chooses per His Holy Character. Which means that while He has sinful CHOICES, He always chooses good and never evil. In fact, His Character is perfectly Holy and is the very DEFINITION and measure of what is righteous. If God, in His Incarnation of Jesus, could NOT sin, then He could not have been tempted by the devil. But He, in His flesh, and though still fully God, was indeed tempted. Free will is the ABILITY to choose what you desire (amongst the choices offered/available). God's actual choices are as many as exist, as He has allowed. But HOW He chooses is devoid of evil. Don't confuse the available choices with how one chooses.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:

I'm not sure about that y:-?
I suppose "That does not mean that He COULDN'T do otherwise IF He wanted to." would have been enough. :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Yes and no

Yes, I realise that God is using free will to limit his free will but at the same time he is allowing himself to actually not have free will in a situation.

If you give your child $5 dollars and say to them go spend it on whatever you want then you are giving them free will and stopping your own free will from telling her what to buy.

If five minutes later she goes to buy lollies but you say oh wait you cant get that you are not truly giving her free will.

I think in a real sense God doesnt always have total free will because in his sovereignty he denies himself it at least at times.

He cant just say here ya go and snatch it back, or he wouldnt really be giving us free will. But limited free will by manipulation. Really just trying to get his own way.

I think God really does give us free will, by denying his own free will, at least at times.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I dont think it's as simple as 'Why didnt God stop x y z? He could have!'
When he gave us free will, he meant it.

And in a sense God is not able to have total free will all the time as some would like to think he has.