Should Christians mix with non-Christians?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
mrsbugg
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by mrsbugg »

My 17 year old daughter wants to teach a class on Sunday. She has been told not to associate with non-christians. She doesn't belive this and needs help on how to get her message across without sounding stupid. Any suggestions? :roll:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

mrsbugg wrote:My 17 year old daughter wants to teach a class on Sunday. She has been told not to associate with non-christians. She doesn't belive this and needs help on how to get her message across without sounding stupid. Any suggestions? :roll:
What is her message...topic, general area...etc..
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
mrsbugg
Newbie Member

Post by mrsbugg »

My daughter thinks you have to be with non-christians all the time. Speak to them, witness to them, eat with them, go to school with them, etc.
If you only stay around christians isn't it more like a cult. We should be around non-christians for several reasons, to witness, or just to show how you live and that you are different and God's light shines through you, shouldn't they want that when they see how you live. You can't just cut people out of your life, it's like giving up on them and I don't think God would ever give up.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

1 Corinthians 5:
9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people.
10 In no way did I mean the immoral people of this world, or the greedy and swindlers and idolaters, since you would then have to go out of the world.
11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who calls himself a Christian who is sexually immoral, or greedy, or an idolater, or verbally abusive, or a drunkard, or a swindler. Do not even eat with such a person.
However, Paul also said this:
1 Corinthians 15:
33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.”
There's a balance to be struck here.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Oh thought she was teaching to non-Christians. Well, the best way would be to just pull up all the examples where Jesus did just the opposite. Heck, you see WWJD around, actually ask the question. Because, you have Jesus associating with the scum of society...so, if you have God associating with the worst of mankind, than ask, how much pride or arrogance or misconceptions about Christianity must a Christian have to not associate with just someone who doesn't believe in God? She shouldn't come off sounding silly-she should put everyone on the defensive with something along those lines.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

As I understand things the Bible teaches that we should not be yoked together with non-christians. This to me means that I shold not marry outside of christ, that I should not go into business with non-christians, or go into any venture with them.

I also agree with much of what others have said here. We are the salt of the earth, we must go out and bring the light of the owrld to the lost. I think that proverbs teaches that we should not walk in the way of the ungodly or sit in the seat of the scornfull, that is we shouldn't live like them, but we should go to them and preach Jesus crucifed to them.
phoney
Recognized Member

Post by phoney »

mrsbugg wrote:My daughter thinks you have to be with non-christians all the time. Speak to them, witness to them, eat with them, go to school with them, etc.
If you only stay around christians isn't it more like a cult. We should be around non-christians for several reasons, to witness, or just to show how you live and that you are different and God's light shines through you, shouldn't they want that when they see how you live. You can't just cut people out of your life, it's like giving up on them and I don't think God would ever give up.
You stay around christians to continue to grow.
I do not think it is wise to be around non christians ALL the time.
I do think you have no choice to be around them as you go through life.
And if you have to be around them it is best to witness to them, rather than accept their beliefs, the more you accept their beliefs as ok to live by, the further you move away from what the Bible teaches.
Harry12345
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Should Christians mix with non-Christians?

Post by Harry12345 »

I do not know anyone at my school who is a Christian. Anyone. I hang around with them of course, but the moment they start making fun of my religion or try and get my into a position that could potentially compromise my relationship with God, I walk away. I also make it explicitaly clear that I am a follower of God and will not tolerate any "bad-mouthing" towards him. I think that's a healthy balance. :?
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Consider this, a true believer in God is less likely to believe in anything else out there, whether that be aliens, the flying spaghetti monster, evolution, scarecrows or what not. The friends that make fun of your "religion" probably have many other beliefs about many other things that are far less reasoned and logical then your belief in God.

I have another friend who is an atheist, while he doesn't make fun of my belief in God, at least he questions it with reason, on many occassions asks me why I believe in God. Being honest and open to interpretations I always share my opinion on the issue, rather then ignore. However, many unreasonable people usually aren't open to other interpretations, and instead lead to your situation, and it is sometimes the best idea to ignore in that case.

Just to share, while I thought he believed in nothing at first, he believes that the universe "is God", and that we are one with "God", this is in fact closer to Sikhism belief then a belief in no God, far from atheist. The point is, everyone, always BELIEVES in something, this is reality. I respond by stating that this is an interesting belief, and I hold nothing against that position, however I find it amusing that there is very little to back up that statement, it sort of proves that anyone will believe anything as long as its not the God of the bible. In fact, it doesn't even have anything to do with reason at that point ...only as long as they diminish the reality of God...everything is fine and dandy.

Remember another thing, however, whether you live in Canada or the states, you have the right to your own beliefs. And it can reach a point where it becomes intolerant and even illegal to bash someone based on religious beliefs, or to the level of discrimination.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Obviously the definition of Christian comes into play. For many the term is cultural, an not reflective of any personal decision or commitment. That's true in the US as well.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Obviously the definition of Christian comes into play. For many the term is cultural, an not reflective of any personal decision or commitment. That's true in the US as well.
I was thinking the exact same thing... What qualifies as a definition of a Christian. Good point.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Hi Canuckster and Gman,

There was a song I heard, very powerful that illustrated the point that defining oneself as a "Christian", "Jew", "Muslim" etc.. only brings us further away from God.

The problem therefore, is that individuals and groups tend to label or differentiate themselves, and as such they force segregation from one another (Gods creation) as well as God Himself without even taking into consideration the very essence of they're faith.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
ADifferentKindOf
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ADifferentKindOf »

Have to wonder how many Christians would be around if Christ only hung out with Christians, or even religious types for that matter. :shakehead:

How can Christian leaders advise against following Christs lead? Weird! That's not to say it isn't dangerous or hard emotionally, spiritually to be around those that question your beliefs constantly, so make sure your daughter knows the hardships that may come with her actions, but the same can be said for any Christian.

I don't think rounding up all the Christians and putting them on one island away from the non-christians would really excite God about what's happening with his plan.

It's like drugs: yes if you run around with druggies then you might become one, but you might also see the dangers of drugs and be able to give a sober point of view and help those hooked on them.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Being with non-Christians ALL the time might not be a good idea. It is easier for them to pull us down then it is for us to pull them up. But as long as there is time in the Word and time with Christians to help keep us accountable, it could be good to be in the world, just not of the world. I personally feel that I need at least twice as much time with the Word and Christians as I do non-Christians.
Lufia
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Lufia »

And it is hard when those unbelievers laugh at your belief, at God or you. Some of my coworkers are doing this. And also some of my friends and even in family. I am oftenly 'attack' by unbelievers. in those times i'm very happy to have a christian husband :esmile: