Stardust and Souls

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Stardust and Souls

Post by Storyteller »

Just some rambling thoughts.....

The Big Bang, an explosion of energy and heat. Gases forming. Atoms clustering to form elements, compounds, matter, form.
We wre created from dust. Cosmic dust? Were we formed deep in the stars?

I can accept that, perhaps, it is just a chain of events that somehow produced life but no matter how I try I cannot get my head around that all we have, all we are is just chance, that life came from non life. I can accept that our thoughts, feelings may be nothing more than electrical impulses but where did these impulses come from?
Our individual atoms don`t have thoughts, feelings yet we do.
If we took ourselves apart, atom by atom, we are just dust. Yet this dust holds together to provide us with a thinking, feeling entity. How can that be? I mean, seriously. We are nothing more than a bunch of atoms. A table is nothing but a bunch of atoms, everything we see is just a bunch of atoms. What makes us different? What makes us alive? Where does our intelligence come from?

God is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Why do we look up to the universe, look to the skies, when we think of Heaven? A deep, subconcsious yearning to return to where it all began?

I think I`m right in saying that it is thought that eventually our universe will collapse back into itself one day. If so, could this be the final return back home to God? Where it all began? In that moment of singularity? Could that singularity be God?

Is it possible that is what is meant by this world passing away to make way for the Kingdom of Heaven?

To be honest, this isn`t really a fully formed idea yet, just random thoughts that I`m trying out.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Stardust and Souls

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

So...what are you smoking these days?

:D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Story is right, how we're here, what we know, why atheism has always represented the tiniest portion of humanity - all very interesting to contemplate. ONE planet is KNOWN without a doubt to be able to support intelligent life - despite speculation. And the many parameters and massively complex systems and things which MUST exist and perfectly and consistently function, and TOGETHER, is mind blowing. Also, of countless species of living things, only one of them has man's vastly superior intelligence, ability to communicate, create and appreciate art and music, create technological marvels, travel space, develop and utilize advanced mathematics, engage in complex psychological thought and analysis - all these things and only one creature on the planet is capable of such things. So, RANDOMNESS, in which just about anything is theorized as possible, so far, has revealed but ONE exceptional planet with life, and only ONE specie amongst countless others on that planet to have our higher functioning, abilities, drive and interest to make sense of any of it.

Just HOW complex and numerous are the things and parameters necessary fo life on earth?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:So...what are you smoking these days?

Can I take the fifth?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:

Can I take the fifth?
Fifth of what, vodka?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Can I take the fifth?
Fifth of what, vodka?
Funny you should say that :oops: :mrgreen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Can I take the fifth?
Fifth of what, vodka?
Annette,

For those who may not know, my joking about a serious subject with you, is my way of showing my love for you. I mean no disrespect to you, or your struggles with alcohol.

y>:D<
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Can I take the fifth?
Fifth of what, vodka?
Annette,

For those who may not know, my joking about a serious subject with you, is my way of showing my love for you. I mean no disrespect to you, or your struggles with alcohol.

I know y@};-

and thank you xx