For 40yrs + Thread

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

For 40yrs + Thread

Post by Nessa »

Although anyone is welcome to post, I'd love to hear specifically from those 40yrs +

Did you go through any sort of 'midlife crisis'? Or maybe you just took time to reflect where you are at in life, where you are not, and where you would like to be?

Kerry just turned 42 and Im still holding on to 40 for another few months and today it kind of hit me. All those midlife questions...

So what are your thoughts on hitting life after 40yrs? Any words of wisdom?
Did you make any significant changes in your life after much reflection? Did you try to hang onto your youth? Do anything crazy? ;)
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male

Re: For 40yrs + Thread

Post by Silvertusk »

I resigned from my teaching post. Finish this year. So searching for a whole new career.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

One thing I learned, is not to give advice to premenopausal women. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

will come back to this, me thinks.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I know a 40-something guy who bought a 550HP sportscar...but I won't name any names. A friend of mine bought an airplane and an Aston Martin in his mid fourties... both have since been sold.

I remained humble during my fourties, even to the point of earning a gold medal for my humility.

y:^o
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I know a 40-something guy who bought a 550HP sportscar...but I won't name any names. A friend of mine bought an airplane and an Aston Martin in his mid fourties... both have since been sold.

I remained humble during my fourties, even to the point of earning a gold medal for my humility.

Fwiw,

Corvettes are the official midlife crisis car*. Not Shelby GT500s. :driving:

I am contemplating trading my GT500, for a Z06 Corvette. yB-)2
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I know a 40-something guy who bought a 550HP sportscar...but I won't name any names. A friend of mine bought an airplane and an Aston Martin in his mid fourties... both have since been sold.

Fwiw,

It's not so much what the actual car is.. it's whose sitting in the passenger seat :shock:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Fwiw,

It's not so much what the actual car is.. it's whose sitting in the passenger seat :shock:
I told my wife that when she turns 46, I'm trading her in for two 23 year olds. She said, "What makes you think a 23 year old would want anything to do with you?"

Nothing like reality getting in the way of my dreams. :crying:
:lol:

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Fwiw,

I told my wife that when she turns 46, I'm trading her in for two 23 year olds. She said, "What makes you think a 23 year old would want anything to do with you?"

If the two 23 year olds have pulses then your chances rapidly decline :twisted:
Just kidding you rick - I would marry you if I was older, single and from the US, BUT I'm not good at making sammiches! y#-o

Love you y>:D<
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Fwiw,

Just kidding you rick - I would marry you if I was older, single and from the US, BUT I'm not good at making sammiches! y#-o

Older? You're only 7 years younger than I am. 40 in women years, is like 67 in men's years. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote: Fwiw,

O

Older? You're only 7 years younger than I am. 40 in women years, is like 67 in men's years. ;)
Hey if I was seven years younger I'd be a young mum not feeling like I'm past my expiry date :P
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

:D Maorigirl is right: it is not the type of car but who is sitting in the passenger seat. Seriously. Middle age may bring upon an existential crisis or questioning but it also is a time when all one's major purchases have been made and paid for. Younger people have to buy furniture, appliances, a car, a home and what not. By the time one reaches the fourties, these things are already acquired and one's discretionary income goes up. For some, it goes way up.

So buy a sportscar if that is what you want; it has nothing to do with a midlife crisis. Unless you trade in your wife for a sportier model...that happened to the PASTOR of a church I once attended. The church didn't survive. I've witnessed other marriage breakups over the years, usually because the man screwed up.

I asked my wife if she had a midlife crisis and she answered, "YOU were my midlife crisis. " I just chuckled ...

What kind of midlife crisis do women have anyway? Do you want to just splurge on a fancy blender or sewing machine...?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote::D Maorigirl is right: it is not the type of car but who is sitting in the passenger seat. Seriously. Middle age may bring upon an existential crisis or questioning but it also is a time when all one's major purchases have been made and paid for. Younger people have to buy furniture, appliances, a car, a home and what not. By the time one reaches the fourties, these things are already acquired and one's discretionary income goes up. For some, it goes way up.

So buy a sportscar if that is what you want; it has nothing to do with a midlife crisis. Unless you trade in your wife for a sportier model...that happened to the PASTOR of a church I once attended. The church didn't survive. I've witnessed other marriage breakups over the years, usually because the man screwed up.

I asked my wife if she had a midlife crisis and she answered, "YOU were my midlife crisis. " I just chuckled ...

What kind of midlife crisis do women have anyway? Do you want to just splurge on a fancy blender or sewing machine...?

:lol: maybe for those that can sew
Arent middle age women suppose to go for 'toy boys' or is that just in hollywood? y:-?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

No. Cougars are the exception. Middle aged single women usually stay celibate and learn to enjoy friends and family.

:D

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:No. Cougars are the exception. Middle aged single women usually stay celibate and learn to enjoy friends and family.

:D
I'm sure that's what your wife got you to believe told you.
y:D

-Edward R Murrow