Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
Yet Christ nor his apostles ever condemned the very popular sports of Pankration, Boxing or Wrestling. Perhaps these sports aren't entirely without merit after all.
And Paul actually used a boxing analogy too.

None of that changes that we should NOT glorify violence.
What is biblical violence? If you define it as merely hurting someone then even our God would be guilty of that. Not even in a indirect way either, God blatantly crippled Jacob in their fight.
Violence is never glorified in the bible.
What is violence? One could argue God crippling Jacob for the rest of his life after he had just finished wrestling him is an act of violence.

How is the UFC or Boxing any different than what God and Jacob did? Mutual combat that involves direct violence.

You do not see a difference between using violence and glorifying it??
Really?
And, by the way, where doe sit say that God crippled Jacob ??
A dislocated joint does NOT equate to being crippled.
You seem to be focusing on violence while I am focusing on the glorification of violence.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
And Paul actually used a boxing analogy too.

None of that changes that we should NOT glorify violence.
What is biblical violence? If you define it as merely hurting someone then even our God would be guilty of that. Not even in a indirect way either, God blatantly crippled Jacob in their fight.
What is violence? One could argue God crippling Jacob for the rest of his life after he had just finished wrestling him is an act of violence.

How is the UFC or Boxing any different than what God and Jacob did? Mutual combat that involves direct violence.

Really?
You seem to be focusing on violence while I am focusing on the glorification of violence.
I can't see the difference no.

Even by the loosest definition of cripple, God dislocating Jacob's hip at the end of their encounter is indeed an act of crippling violence.
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

The bible does not promote violence. Period.

And if you disagree with me, I'll kick your @$$!

:mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:

Really?
I can't see the difference no.

Even by the loosest definition of cripple, God dislocating Jacob's hip at the end of their encounter is indeed an act of crippling violence.
Yes, crippling Jacob even temporarily may (probably is) an act of violence but it isn't glorifying it. Say for example, I kill someone who is threatening my daughter, who will kill her, I am committing an act of violence but that doesn't mean I am endorsing it or glorifying it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Thanks storyteller, for a moment I thought I has failing to communicate my point.

See, as someone that has ben in MA since 1978, competed and even won at the national and international level and being a devout Christian, my perspective on the MA is this:
Violence if needed BUT never take joy in the hurting and others or rejoice in others hurting others.
God never once took pleasure or glorified and act of violence that NEEDED to be done and remember, sport combat competitions do NOT NEED to be done.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:Thanks storyteller, for a moment I thought I has failing to communicate my point.

See, as someone that has ben in MA since 1978, competed and even won at the national and international level and being a devout Christian, my perspective on the MA is this:
Violence if needed BUT never take joy in the hurting and others or rejoice in others hurting others.
God never once took pleasure or glorified and act of violence that NEEDED to be done and remember, sport combat competitions do NOT NEED to be done.
Absolutely agree, and, personally, the very reason I learnt Kung Fu was so that I could use minimum violence.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran