Death Penalty

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.

Do you support the death penalty?

Yes
33%
No
50%
Unsure
17%

Total votes: 24

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Are you sure? Not according to webster.
alright fine.
=)
Whats a better term?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I was asking for someone else to give a better definition...I don't have one. :P
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Death Penalty

Post by newmoon2112 »

The Bible also says,Thou Shall Not Kill.Period.It doesn't say,thou shall not kill,unless...
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Re: Death Penalty

newmoon2112 wrote:The Bible also says,Thou Shall Not Kill.Period.It doesn't say,thou shall not kill,unless...
MURDER MURDER MURDER, not kill.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Post by newmoon2112 »

MURDER,MURDER,MURDER,kill,same word?Same meaning?
The commandment doesn't say any detail,just DO NOT KILL.Kill,murder,take a life,end a life,all the same.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

newmoon2112 wrote:MURDER,MURDER,MURDER,kill,same word?Same meaning?
The commandment doesn't say any detail,just DO NOT KILL.Kill,murder,take a life,end a life,all the same.
There is a difference, and what God says not to do is MURDER-killing is condoned in the Bible.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Kurieuo »

newmoon2112 wrote:The Bible also says,Thou Shall Not Kill.Period.It doesn't say,thou shall not kill,unless...
Funny how after Exodus 20 wherein the commandment is given not to kill, in the very next chapter killing is endorsed as a consequence for someone killing another.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Post by newmoon2112 »

According to the Bible,it says,"Thou shall not KILL,not thou shall not MURDER.My brother once said that maybe "kill" means to "kill someone emotionally",not murder.To my knowledge the word in the 10 commandments is "kill",not "murder".But,if you believe that the two words are different,okay,but to kill is to murder,and thou shall not!
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

So God set Israel up with endoring a punishment which would make them break the commandment He just gave to them? ;)
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Post by newmoon2112 »

Maybe that is where the "thou shall not kill, unless..."comes in.
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Post by newmoon2112 »

HMMM,my Bible,called "Holy Bible,International Version",actually says "murder",not "kill",and you are right about the next verse,it says,"If a man schemes and kills another man deliberately,he must be put to death.So,I guess there is ,Thou shall not,unless...?hmmm
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Post by newmoon2112 »

Maybe what God is saying is that killing with envy,greed,lust,and other deadly sins is not good reason.People hitting the switch,or injecting the needle are not doing it because they have envy,greed,hatred,or anything for the murderer,they just feel that it is right to keep this person from continuing their own deadly,sinful emotion that keeps them murdering.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

newmoon2112 wrote:Maybe what God is saying is that killing with envy,greed,lust,and other deadly sins is not good reason.People hitting the switch,or injecting the needle are not doing it because they have envy,greed,hatred,or anything for the murderer,they just feel that it is right to keep this person from continuing their own deadly,sinful emotion that keeps them murdering.
Agreed. Capital punishment (killing) seems like a fair form of justice in many cases. The issue is however whether it be meted out justly, and I'm inclined to think it can't.

Israel on the other hand were set aside as God's holy people from whom Christ would come through, so despite their flaws, capital punishment would have helped them treat sin with a seriousness other nations around them wouldn't have. Today, I believe a lot more grace and forgiveness can and should be shown, but not at the risk of having more people hurt by the same perpetrator.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

The light at the end of the tunnel...isn't an oncoming train...tada

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

The bible also says that if you hate your brother then you are guilty of murder. Our instructions are to love not hate!
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”