Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

Post by Nessa »

Bluejay4 wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen we are live!!!!! From the place upstairs, God's throne room, for UFC 2000. And now it's time to begin our first round of the evening, five rounds for the UFC's flyweight division. Introducing first, fighting out of the blue corner!!! This man is a mixed martial artist with a professional record of 20 wins, zero losses. His height is 5'2 and weighing in at 125 pounds and fighting out of Nazareth, Israel...Jesus ''the living water'' Christ!!!
Jesus seems to have lost some inches in his height since the first post and gains some pounds y:-?

Too much time spent breaking bread maybe?
Hehe, I'd say less breaking bread but more adequate research. Really Jewish guys were quite small and thin, Jesus must've been a walking stick!
Are you trying to imply jesus is just a 'crutch'? :shakehead:
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Bluejay4 »

Nessa wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen we are live!!!!! From the place upstairs, God's throne room, for UFC 2000. And now it's time to begin our first round of the evening, five rounds for the UFC's flyweight division. Introducing first, fighting out of the blue corner!!! This man is a mixed martial artist with a professional record of 20 wins, zero losses. His height is 5'2 and weighing in at 125 pounds and fighting out of Nazareth, Israel...Jesus ''the living water'' Christ!!!
Jesus seems to have lost some inches in his height since the first post and gains some pounds y:-?

Hehe, I'd say less breaking bread but more adequate research. Really Jewish guys were quite small and thin, Jesus must've been a walking stick!
Your pun is bad and you should feel bad! :clap:
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Bluejay4 wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Your pun is bad and you should feel bad! :clap:
:thanks:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

If you're a shroud believer, Jesus was 5'11"-6'2".

I'm not sure Jesus was the same height as Danny Devito. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:If you're a shroud believer, Jesus was 5'11"-6'2".

I'm not sure Jesus was the same height as Danny Devito. :shakehead:
Thats it...gonna have to refrain from reading your posts in bed during the night if I cant sleep...
Burst out laughing! :censored:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bluejay4 wrote:How about that 13 second knockout though!!!!!!!
On any given day, anyone can have their bell rung.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV let this along with this http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Boxing and many other rather violent bible verses when people claim mma is to violent for Christians to watch.

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bluejay4 wrote:https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV let this along with this http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Boxing and many other rather violent bible verses when people claim mma is to violent for Christians to watch.
I don't watch much MMA because I don't care for glorifying violence.
No christian should enjoy violence or glorify it.
The use of violence is acceptable to God ONLY to protect self and others ( and upon divine command from Him, see Theocratic war).
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV let this along with this http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Boxing and many other rather violent bible verses when people claim mma is to violent for Christians to watch.
The use of violence is acceptable to God ONLY to protect self and others ( and upon divine command from Him, see Theocratic war).
Yet Christ nor his apostles ever condemned the very popular sports of Pankration, Boxing or Wrestling. Perhaps these sports aren't entirely without merit after all.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Yet Christ nor his apostles ever condemned the very popular sports of Pankration, Boxing or Wrestling. Perhaps these sports aren't entirely without merit after all.
And Paul actually used a boxing analogy too.

None of that changes that we should NOT glorify violence.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

What is biblical violence? If you define it as merely hurting someone then even our God would be guilty of that. Not even in a indirect way either, God blatantly crippled Jacob in their fight.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

What is biblical violence? If you define it as merely hurting someone then even our God would be guilty of that. Not even in a indirect way either, God blatantly crippled Jacob in their fight.
Violence is never glorified in the bible.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: I don't watch much MMA because I don't care for glorifying violence.

Violence is never glorified in the bible.
What is violence? One could argue God crippling Jacob for the rest of his life after he had just finished wrestling him is an act of violence.

How is the UFC or Boxing any different than what God and Jacob did? Mutual combat that involves direct violence.

Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

The definition of violence is as follows.
behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
God did an act of violence against Jacob and anytime he brought his just vengeance against evil doers, violence was glorified because God partook in it.

Not to mention various scripture that make reference to things such as battle, military, war, competition, etc. all lead me to conclude that perhaps watching and or competing in combat sports isn't inherently sinful.

Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

I had to read up on Jacob, it was an interesting read. I`m not sure I understand it completely so please correct me if I err anywhere.

God dislocated Jacobs hip after wrestling with him all night to show that, at any point, He could have won, He could have destroyed Jacob. Yet He didn`t. He showed mercy, grace and love. There was a reason.
I think, sometimes, violence is necessary but that doesn`t mean it`s glorifying it. Committing a necessary act of violence is different to watching (and glorifying) it. Not sure I`ve explained that very well.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran