Oregon College Shootings

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Oregon College Shootings

Post by Philip »

Did political correctness surrounding the lack of armed security cost lives?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/01/fo ... tcmp=hpbt1
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Oregon Sootings

Post by edwardmurphy »

Seriously? Some guy shoots a bunch of people and you want to blame liberals for supposedly not allowing armed guards on campus? Are we really supposed to have armed guards everywhere that a lunatic could possible go on a shooting spree - so basically everywhere? Is that the kind of society you want to live in?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Edward: Seriously? Some guy shoots a bunch of people and you want to blame liberals for supposedly not allowing armed guards on campus? Are we really supposed to have armed guards everywhere that a lunatic could possible go on a shooting spree - so basically everywhere? Is that the kind of society you want to live in?
Uh, no, Ed, that is not the ideal of how I wish our society was. But because I am a realist, I know how stupid it is to not have armed security - or at least to not have security with quick access to weaonry designed to take out some lunatic killing precious human beings like he's shooting fish in a barrel!

I also realize the proliferation of guns is a fact we must face. And this has been true in America for well over a century. There are millions upon millions of guns out there. You could ban the sale of ALL guns tommorow, and the MASSIVE supply of already-existing guns means that ANYONE determined to buy or possess one could easily buy virtually the gun of their choice, and dirt cheap, and far into the future. ALL the banning of legal guns would mean is that the bad guys and the crazy nuts could still get what they want and when. Meaning, the rest of us - that being those of us law-abiding - would be at the complete mercy of thugs and nuts. Do you really think the police can protect us against those determined to use guns against us???!!! Home invasions and gun crimes are very rare in my rural area - and I can guarantee you that thugs knowing my neighbors all have weapons, makes us FAR safer. That's just common sense.

Now, I don't want large-magazine or automatic weapons to be legal, and I don't want people to have bajookas, I don't want drunks in bars legally packing heat, but the reality is, for the most part, we are safer when the bad guys know their potential victims may be armed. And if some murderous guy tries to break into your house while you're home, if some maniac comes in a school with a rifle, your feel-good, politically correct adversion to guns is likely to get innocent people killed.

If - IF only cops and authorities had access to guns, I'd say we'd be better off without private ownership. But that's not our reality, as the flooding of America with guns is now going toward two centuries. Again, I wish owning guns was unnecessary. But I'm a realist.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote:Did political correctness surrounding the lack of armed security cost lives?
Can't say Im familiar with the oregon sootings :mrgreen:

Help me, Im turning into rick :shock:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:Did political correctness surrounding the lack of armed security cost lives?
Can't say Im familiar with the oregon sootings :mrgreen:

Help me, Im turning into rick :shock:
Nessa,

You stole my thunder.

Sootings. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

MOD friendly Note -

I have been burnt with discussion on guns before - this can be a highly charged subject, so if we can all be respectful of other peoples views on this matter and keep the debate here civil.

Ok carry on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

On another note,

Apparently, this shooter was asking people if they're Christian. If the person answered "yes", then he would shoot them.

Maybe if we banned Christians from colleges, there'd be less shootings.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

I appreciate the UK doesn`t have as big a problem as America so I`m probably not in a place to comment but I will anyway....

What`s the answer?
I don`t know but it scares the life outta me. How widespread is it, really? Is it as massive as it appears to me, an outsider? Do you all have guns? Live in fear?

Having armed guards seems sensible but where do you draw the line? Schools, colleges? Public places? Cinemas? Shops? It seems anywhere there are a large number of people is a possible target. Churches. That really, really gets me, on a level I can`t explain. Churches are meant to be safe places, refuges, sanctuary.

Personally, I hate firearms (or the people who use them irresponsibly) but it`s a fact they are being used and innocent people need protecting. But with firearms? Surely there must be alternatives? Tazers maybe? I don`t know. I have nothing but respect and love for those who put themselves at risk every day, for us, to keep us safe, we have to find a way through this.

Guns are being abused, innocent people are dying, how do we fight that? I hate to say it but maybe the only way is to fight fire with fire, but will even that stop these maniacs? I`m not sure they care if they live or die, thing is how do we stop them before they kill?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

You will never be able to stop a determined person with a concealed gun from getting it in and killing people in a public place. Metal detectors might help, but you sure as heck better have trained and armed people monitoring them. I mean, where would you feel safer - in a theatre with an armed security presence, or in a place with absolutely nothing but phone access to making a 911 call? To me, that's a no-brainer. It may be a matter, as with air marshalls - have armed security that wear no uniform and that remain unidentified.

Ah, but what about 3D printed weapon - these printers are widely available - gonna ban THOSE as well? What about mail order - how ya gonna stop such THAT? y[-o< Remember, Lee Harvy Oswald bought his assassination rifle using an alias and through the mail.

Bottom line, making guns illegal just means those with criminal and violent intent will ignore it - remember, they're CRIMINALS - that is what they do! The insane killer is obssessed with causing carnage. And since there is NO surefire way to insure sick individuals can't get there hands on a gun, you must have a way to quickly stop such an individual. And that means having a weapon handy that is equal to the task. Yes, that this is our reality IS sad. I don't even like guns, but I have two pistols, one always loaded, yet in a safe and hidden place. EVERY large public venue should have a capable weapon available ONLY to specific and trained people in case of an emergency.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015 ... 58046.html

"if you are a Christian, you are going to see God"...
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Oregon College Shootings

Post by theophilus »

Making it harder to obtain guns is only treating a symptom of the problem. There was once a time when it was easy for anyone to buy a gun legally but we didn't have mass shooting we have today. But one other thing was different then; most people believed the Bible and generally tried to follow its teachings. Today we are living in a culture that rejects the Bible and its moral standards.

The real reason so many shootings occur today isn't that guns are available but that so many lack Biblical standards of right and wrong and so are willing to use guns when they can get their hands on them.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Seems to me that you had there was an Atheist "zealot".

Don't tell me Atheism isn't as ideological as religion. It has "extremists" all of its own.
Atheism has its own "fundamentalists" (as much as I hate how that word has lost its original meaning today).
The likes of Dawkins and Harris et al., and the Atheistic dribble online are responsible for fueling such hatred against Christians and a mere belief in God.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Seems that databases of those with mental health issues should be FAR more comprehensive and easily accessible nationwide for background checks (which are ludicrous to oppose, by the way) for ALL gun purchases. To me, you have a certain mental health history, that should automatically disqualify you for gun ownership or purchase! To heck with patient privacy (for gun checks), as long as that information is kept appropriately confidential by those doing the checks/those ordering them. You knowingly live with someone with such a history, you allow them access to an unsecured weapon, and they use it in a crime, then VERY serious punishment should follow!

And NO guns should be legal to sell without a background check for the purchaser. No, such measures won't stop a lot of criminals, but it might help more with some of the impulsive crazies.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Here's some data about gun violence in the US.
Nessa wrote:Can't say Im familiar with the oregon sootings :mrgreen:
Seems like we should at least wait until the bodies are cold to start making jokes...
Kurieuo wrote:Seems to me that you had there was an Atheist "zealot".
Who said he was an atheist?
PaulSacramento wrote:http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015 ... 58046.html

"if you are a Christian, you are going to see God"...
Atheists don't believe that.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

edwardmurphy wrote:Here's some data about gun violence in the US
USA Population is around 318 million...

Germany 86 million

Australia 23 million

UK 64 million

Anyone can post stats even spurious ones

More people died in Chicago by illegal guns in the past week and Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws...

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-pol ... s/1011155/

What is really needed is to actually re-establish mental institutions to lock dangerous folks away by Imposition of legal disability as we now have a better mental health screening process if only there was legal teeth to it to lock dangerous folks up before they do harm and get off the PC c#rp about this matter more than taking guns away from law abiding citizens so they cannot defend themselves.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys