Why Christians' strong beliefs are as pathetic as everyone else's beliefs.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Why Christians' strong beliefs are as pathetic as everyone else's beliefs.

Post by MBPrata »

I've know this website for 3 years. The forum, some 2 years I guess. And one of the things I enjoyed the most about the forum was that people writing here - maybe because of their christianity, maybe not... - were able to debate decently, with no insults, manipulation techniques or despise for the other person debating. And with some sense of humour. :D Yeah, this forum is still one of the few places on the Internet where I feel safe to have a sane debate instead of one of those apocaliptic discussions that happen is social networks.

However...I have, once or twice, been offended by one or two people who are around this forum. To those people, I think you should read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5- ... nk_p2.html

This remarkable article should be read by everyone in the world, namely to remind us that being "certain" of something is a ludicrous attitude, maybe even pathetic. We, humans, are SO controlled by our own brain that we should admit that our certainties may perfectly be created not by our unbiased analysis, but by our flawed brain that screws our world perception everyday,

So, next time anyone here thinks they're more right than some atheists because they claim atheist are in denial or are "dumber" or are living in the La La Land (this one may or may not be an indirect...), go back to read the article and ask yourselves: wouldn't it be my brain that blindly led me to this abusive conclusion?

Other than that, have a nice day. :wave:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why Christians' strong beliefs are as pathetic as everyone else's beliefs.

Post by RickD »

I think your flawed brain is telling you that the article is correct. The article was just a confirmation of what your brain was already telling you.
:D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Once I said to my husband (non-Christian) : I have my data, you have your data.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

MBPrata wrote:I've know this website for 3 years. The forum, some 2 years I guess. And one of the things I enjoyed the most about the forum was that people writing here - maybe because of their christianity, maybe not... - were able to debate decently, with no insults, manipulation techniques or despise for the other person debating. And with some sense of humour. :D Yeah, this forum is still one of the few places on the Internet where I feel safe to have a sane debate instead of one of those apocaliptic discussions that happen is social networks.

However...I have, once or twice, been offended by one or two people who are around this forum. To those people, I think you should read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5- ... nk_p2.html

This remarkable article should be read by everyone in the world, namely to remind us that being "certain" of something is a ludicrous attitude, maybe even pathetic. We, humans, are SO controlled by our own brain that we should admit that our certainties may perfectly be created not by our unbiased analysis, but by our flawed brain that screws our world perception everyday,

So, next time anyone here thinks they're more right than some atheists because they claim atheist are in denial or are "dumber" or are living in the La La Land (this one may or may not be an indirect...), go back to read the article and ask yourselves: wouldn't it be my brain that blindly led me to this abusive conclusion?

Other than that, have a nice day. :wave:

I'm just speakking the truth about LA LA land.I know you might not want to hear it but it is true that those who reject God live outside logic,reason and reality in LA LA land in order to deny God.You might not like to hear it but it will help you when you realize I'm right.If you reject God you are living by your own imagination that denies the facts of logic,reason and reality,finally realizing this will open your eyes.I want to challenge you to listen to the top atheist hero's out there and if you listen to them you will see I'm right especially when they talk from a scientific view-point.They are going by pure imagination living in LA LA land in order to reject God. Don't be offended and instead face the thruth and get back in reality,if you reject God.Remember according to logic,reason and reality ALL things have a cause and ALL things that have a cause are caused by something else and ALL things are willed into existence and infinite regression cannot be broken,unless you're in LA LA land living by your own imagination.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I thought it was a good article, interesting.

I still believe in God though :)

Whether you do is your choice and just because you dont doesnt make you dumb, or deluded. Any more than my belief makes me.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

I'm just speakking the truth about LA LA land.I know you might not want to hear it but it is true
Oh, for God's sake, did you even read the article? How can you think any thought you might have is "the truth" after reading this article?! Didn't you read that your brain crazily tricks you? If you don't believe what's written in the article, I understand, but if you do...like...how?!

Whether you do is your choice and just because you dont doesnt make you dumb, or deluded. Any more than my belief makes me.
THANK YOU! I just wish every single people that debates kept this in mind through the whole debate...(including me...:P)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I often say either Christians are deluded or Atheists are blind.

If there are cars speeding along a road I want to cross, should I: 1) believe and wait, or 2) just ignore and cross?

Ignorance doesn't take away from the truth of the matter and consequences of reality that can follow, but believing just might save you.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

MBPrata wrote:
I'm just speakking the truth about LA LA land.I know you might not want to hear it but it is true
Oh, for God's sake, did you even read the article? How can you think any thought you might have is "the truth" after reading this article?! Didn't you read that your brain crazily tricks you? If you don't believe what's written in the article, I understand, but if you do...like...how?!

Do you believe everything you read? It seems to me it is making excuses to believe in things that don't make sense.But atleast it admits all people believe what they do by faith,which most atheists deny.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

Do you believe everything you read?
Implicitly, you said that you don't believe the article. If that's the case, then I understand. You don't think your brain tricks you and that you fall for it like a newborn, ok then. And it's understandable, maybe even logic, that you stick to your guns.

I, on the other hand, believe the article. No, I don't believe everything I read (which is one of the reasons I'm constantly reflecting about what I read on this website). I just believe that our brain is a sort of a lousy "machine" that makes us more ridiculous than our human intelligence should allow.
Also, considering the human brain is so flawed, I find it hard to believe that God designed it. I actually created a topic here around that whole issue.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

MBPrata wrote:
Do you believe everything you read?
Implicitly, you said that you don't believe the article. If that's the case, then I understand. You don't think your brain tricks you and that you fall for it like a newborn, ok then. And it's understandable, maybe even logic, that you stick to your guns.

I, on the other hand, believe the article. No, I don't believe everything I read (which is one of the reasons I'm constantly reflecting about what I read on this website). I just believe that our brain is a sort of a lousy "machine" that makes us more ridiculous than our human intelligence should allow.
Also, considering the human brain is so flawed, I find it hard to believe that God designed it. I actually created a topic here around that whole issue.
Then why would you believe what you wrote here isn't flawed?

Ever heard of the saying, "Hoist by one's own petard"?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Our brains not understanding probability could perhaps explain why some people don't believe in God. What's what more probable? Life by some random chance or by design?

MBPrata, I am really curious as to why you don't believe in God and I do. What is it that makes the difference?

As for debating the issue, I am so sorry that some have offended you, we should be able to discuss differing views without disrespect.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
windywherever
Familiar Member

Post by windywherever »

storyteller wrote:As for debating the issue, I am so sorry that some have offended you, we should be able to discuss differing views without disrespect.
Very much agreed. :clap:

I think sometimes we have different ideas of what it means to show disrespect. Sometimes people imagine offense and sometimes people give genuine offense in ignorance. I think this is a good reason for "turning the other cheek" even in discussions and debates.
storyteller wrote:What's what more probable? Life by some random chance or by design?
I definitely think life by design is much more probably. There's just too much evidence.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

1over137 wrote:Once I said to my husband (non-Christian) : I have my data, you have your data.
Christians and non-Christians have the same data. We just interpret it differently.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

windywherever wrote:
storyteller wrote:As for debating the issue, I am so sorry that some have offended you, we should be able to discuss differing views without disrespect.
Very much agreed. :clap:

I think sometimes we have different ideas of what it means to show disrespect. Sometimes people imagine offense and sometimes people give genuine offense in ignorance. I think this is a good reason for "turning the other cheek" even in discussions and debates.
Absolutely agree. Personally, I dont get offended easily but in heated debates it can be easy to unintentionally hurt or offend. I just try and treat others how I would like to be.
storyteller wrote:What's what more probable? Life by some random chance or by design?
I definitely think life by design is much more probably. There's just too much evidence.
Again, agreed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

My take on the article:

Another justification to strengthen unbelief to make one wise in his or her own eyes...to remain enlightened with darkness (as in another form justification of Nihilism)
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys