Revelation

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Anonymous

Revelation

Post by Anonymous »

I was raised in a church community that believed the book of Revelation was a book of "end times." After many years of false callings to "the end of the world" and "the rapture will be soon," I started looking at the book of revelation as a part of the whole Bible and not a stand alone book of the end times. In this view i see revelation as an explanation of Christ. Christ being the physical acts of God on earth. It shows God has always bin physically active in the world and will continue to be so unto the very end of time. In this light it changes Revelation from a "doomsday" book to a book of "hope." I really believe Gods intent of Revelation is to give all people hope in our relationship with God and not a calender of events to try and see when he will come again-He is with us always. If you agree, or not, if you see a valid point to this, or not, please reply.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

I've sometimes thought along the same lines as you. However, we cannot deny the similatities with other prophecies in other books, such as Zechariah, Daniel, Isaiah etc. Maybe the truth is that Revelation can be applied both on a spiritual and physical level - to him who has ears. Like, for example, the wilderness wanderings of the Israelites and their entering into the promised land has been used as a spiritual allegory for our Christian walk.

Oh, btw, its only a doomsday book for those whose hope is not in Jesus - anyway you look at it :D
Maranatha!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

It's a nice thought, but it really goes against the entire grain of the text. It was clearly written to show what will be. The problem is in consistency. If the Revelation is simply some huge allegory about Christ, then where do we stop? And what do you do with chapters like 20 and 21? What would it mean that Satan was bound for 1,000 year? Why?

If you want to keep the book in the context of the whole Bible, which we should, we should read it just as it is: the promise of fulfillment first of the Abrahamic Covenant then of the New Covenant. It is the account of how God will come through on His promises, both to Christians and to Israel. In that sense, it is still a book of hope for the believer, even though it clearly describes "doomsday."
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Anonymous

I agree

Post by Anonymous »

Thank you for your replies :) . I really like the "its only dooms day to those who don't believe." I think many of my earlier fears of Revelation came from a lack of faith and maybe thats why the light came on to understand it as God is always with us.
I also really like and must follow up on by more study the definition of the fulfillment of the old and new covenant. WOw! That is so important and ties together the same.
:P this is a great educational tool for Christians, thank you for your writings they have bin taken to heart and I will study them.