A question for atheists part 2

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

A question for atheists part 2

Post by Nessa »

This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Re: A question for atheists part 2

Post by Nessa »

I have absolutely no clever come backs but Im just interested to know what you are thinking
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

:sbump:
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Good question! I don’t think I’ve ever considered that question. Now that I thought about it, I think it depends upon what this God is like. For the most part, I don’t think I would want there to be one; I am happy with things as they are. I’m sure it would be cool and all as long as he is your friend, and is on your side, but what happens if he turns on you and is no longer on your side? Doesn’t sound good.

If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

ken
If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
The sad part is, if you don't look for Him, pray to, talk to Him, strike up a relationship with Him ... you'll get your wish ken. :ssorry:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Good question! I don’t think I’ve ever considered that question. Now that I thought about it, I think it depends upon what this God is like. For the most part, I don’t think I would want there to be one; I am happy with things as they are. I’m sure it would be cool and all as long as he is your friend, and is on your side, but what happens if he turns on you and is no longer on your side? Doesn’t sound good.

Ken
So your god would be indifferent and detached from human suffering?

He would never interfere with us. The most horrific acts would elude him?

So he would be more like an impersonal force of some kind?

Say you just saw the person you love the most in the world about to get tortured and raped and it continue for years on end.

Would you not choose your God to be personal and capable of choice?

To be powerful enough to stop it if no human being could?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
So your god would be indifferent and detached from human suffering?

He would never interfere with us. The most horrific acts would elude him?

So he would be more like an impersonal force of some kind?

Say you just saw the person you love the most in the world about to get tortured and raped and it continue for years on end.

Would you not choose your God to be personal and capable of choice?

To be powerful enough to stop it if no human being could?
I’m going to change up on my previous response. If God were to exist, I would prefer he have the ability of the God as described in the Bible, but would do things differently. He would do the opposite of what I previously said and keep in constant contact with mankind giving us a consistent message of what he expects of us and who he is, thus preventing the establishing of false Gods to worship. This would likely end all the hatred, killing, and pain associated with opposing religious beliefs.

He would also have created a world where it is easier to do the right thing because there would be no Satan, Devil, or forces that work against him to tempt his creation to doing the wrong thing. This would make life a bit more peaceful

He also would have created a world where all the water is useful for the survival of his creation and fruits and vegetables would grow wild the way crabgrass and useless weeds do now, thus ending starvation and all the the violence and suffering associated with it

He would have created the Universe in a way that is not 99.99999% hostile to human life

Parasites would not exist because he would create a world where useless and harmful insects would not exist,

He also wouldn’t be the type of God that requires worship. He would be too modest to insist his creation fall to their knees, and grovel at his feet in a way that I wouldn’t expect from my dog; just knowing his creation loves him would be enough for him

That’s enough for now, perhaps I will think of some more later

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

kenny wrote: If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
What made you change your mind?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
kenny wrote: If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
My first reply was while I was on a quick break at work and I only had a couple minutes to make a reply. After thinking about it for a while, I later changed my mind

K
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
My first reply was while I was on a quick break at work and I only had a couple minutes to make a reply. After thinking about it for a while, I later changed my mind

K
So its quite possible you might change your mind again then?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Perhaps after seven days? :ewink: :P
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

So you wouldn't want God to create a perfect world with no pain and suffering?

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:So you wouldn't want God to create a perfect world with no pain and suffering?

I don’t think that is possible. Perfect by whose standards? My standards? Because perfection by my standards is going to be far from perfect by somebody else's standards.
Perfection according to everybody at the same time is impossible

And pain and suffering? What I find good can be bad for someone else. Example; if I am trying to buy a house, a drop in real estate prices is going to be a good thing for me, but it will be painful to the guy trying to sell his house. In such a diverse world pain and pleasure often result from the same action.
So to answer your question; no I wouldn’t ask God to do the impossible, I would just ask for what I see as practical.

Ken
RickD wrote
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote: I wouldn’t ask God to do the impossible, I would just ask for what I see as practical.
I think your prayers were answered Kenny! :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.