dungeons and dragons

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

dungeons and dragons

Post by Prodigal Son »

i've played dungeons and dragons and other role playing games and i think they are incredibly fun. i can understand why they are not suitalble for children. what do you guys think about d & d for adults?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Yea, I like them too. Baldur's Gate 2 especially, and I just got the Neverwinter Nights platinum edition
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i have heard they both have witchcraft and satanic references, both of which are evil :roll:
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Your point being?
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

mastermind--i like baldur's gate (the first one). didn't think the second compared. did you play the first?

helpme-- :? that is always the argument against these games that i hear. but i've always been ignorant to these things (never really noticing them; definately not attempting them) during gameplay. in that case, is it stilll wrong to play? sort of like halloween--i see it just as dressing up for fun and asking for candy (i think most people do) but some argue that it's satanic and pagan. if something has a different meaning to you is it still wrong?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I liked the second one better, mostly because the items and spells were so much better. Never got far in the first one. And don't worry, there's nothing wrong with playing games. Not doing so because there is witchcraft or demons in it is like not reading the Bible(or any other book) for that reason. I find the Forgotten Realm games made by Bioware quite a subtle aid to Christianity, since they do bring up a lot of questions and answers (Remember the Cult of the Eyeless in BG2, when the people decided to give up the normal gods and join up with this new god that offered them immediate power? That didn't turn out well for those people, and it might give an atheist playing the game something to think about when they start complaining that God isn't doing the right thing)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well, you could do some investigatory*cant spell* work and find the origins of halloween
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Why would you waste time stressing over stuff like that? If somebody who came upon an inverted cross or pentagram didn't know what they meant, would they care? If you choose to take a symbol and brand it in your mind that you have to avoid it like the plague, then go ahead, but I think that time could be better spent.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Colors, do you play Neverwinter Nights?
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

never tried it. it's good, though, isn't it? i've heard good things about it. :)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Yes, it's very good. I miss the party system from Baldur's Gate(especially the bickering between characters), but the story is top notch.