Polygamy

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Polygamy

Post by UsagiTsukino »

What do u guys feel about Polygamy? And how does the world view it?
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Polygamy

Post by 1over137 »

I cannot imagine having husband together with another wife.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I can't imagine having a second wife. One is enough.
Can't they just be concubines? :shakehead:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:I can't imagine having a second wife. One is enough.
Can't they just be concubines? :shakehead:
Mrs. K,

What dost thou think of this?

I may be wrong, but I believe polygamy is legal in the Philippines if one is Muslim.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

ONE terrifying thought: MULTIPLE wives nagging you, simultaneously! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We're told Solomon "had 700 wives, who were princesses, and 300 concubines." Just think of all of the drama in the royal harem. y:O2

Weird Wonder: How DID Solomon schedule so many "date" nights? :) :D :ebiggrin: :esmile: :econfused: :esad: :shock: :shock: :shock: :esurprised: The math suggests that if he spent just ONE day with each wife, it would take him nearly TWO YEARS to do so. And that's not counting concubine time y:-? . I'm guessing he had trouble with even knowing all of their names. Of course, many of them were no doubt political marriages in which he barely had any contact with them. And if they all had credit cards, no wonder he needed such immense wealth. :lol: Really, how did Solomon even have the energy to administrate a kingdom - or the TIME to???!!!

I'm totally good with just one (great) wife!
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Philip wrote:ONE terrifying thought: MULTIPLE wives nagging you, simultaneously! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We're told Solomon "had 700 wives, who were princesses, and 300 concubines." Just think of all of the drama in the royal harem. y:O2

Weird Wonder: How DID Solomon schedule so many "date" nights? :) :D :ebiggrin: :esmile: :econfused: :esad: :shock: :shock: :shock: :esurprised: The math suggests that if he spent just ONE day with each wife, it would take him nearly TWO YEARS to do so. And that's not counting concubine time y:-? . I'm guessing he had trouble with even knowing all of their names. Of course, many of them were no doubt political marriages in which he barely had any contact with them. And if they all had credit cards, no wonder he needed such immense wealth. :lol: Really, how did Solomon even have the energy to administrate a kingdom - or the TIME to???!!!

Gotta give him props for stamina :cheers:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

True that! And there sure wasn't anything solo about SOLOmon! :D
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:ONE terrifying thought: MULTIPLE wives nagging you, simultaneously! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The names are the easiest part of that equation, actually. Just follow my dad's advice: call them all "baby" and you don't have to worry about it. 8)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hey, Jac, where ya been? The chaplain biz must be booming?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:What do u guys feel about Polygamy? And how does the world view it?
Polygamy, just like any other sexual union besides marriage between one woman and one man, falls short of God's will for us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Polygamy, just like any other sexual union besides marriage between one woman and one man,

falls short of God's will for us.
But did it fall short THEN, back in Solomon's time? As that's the question.I don't think it's a case of God turning a blind eye or not addressing it. Of course, the practice caused a lot of friction, but as David and Solomon were leaders of Israel, I can't imagine that God wouldn't have ripped into them if He, at that time, considered the practice a terrible sin.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

melanie wrote:

Aren't the husband and wife, err wives, meant to share in responsibilities?

I'd feel sorry for the husband who has to cook for 700 wives. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:Hey, Jac, where ya been? The chaplain biz must be booming?
Chaplaincy is booming, yes, but more than that, we just moved, and I only recently got the internet back up in my house. But you know how moving is. Soooooooooooooooooo much to do, and still doing a lot of it. I'm also right in the middle of this ordination paperwork. Plenty to catch up on when I get back. :P
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Jac: Chaplaincy is booming, yes, but more than that, we just moved, and I only recently got the internet back up in my house. But you know how moving is. Soooooooooooooooooo much to do, and still doing a lot of it. I'm also right in the middle of this ordination paperwork. Plenty to catch up on when I get back. :P
Jac, don't envy anyone moving. So much to hook up, so much stuff sitting for months in boxes. And that's when you discover just how bad a packrat your wife really is :shock:. For us to move (same place 15 years), it would be like the Jews leaving Egypt - excepting they probably had less stuff! :lol: Hope it all goes smoothly.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Kurieuo wrote:
melanie wrote:

Aren't the husband and wife, err wives, meant to share in responsibilities?

I'd feel sorry for the husband who has to cook for 700 wives. :P
Ummm...... Yes K I was talking about his stamina in the kitchen :mrgreen: